Mido: Mohamed Salah is 10 Times as Good as Raheem Sterling

Mido says Salah is ten times better than Raheem Sterling. (Reuters)
Mido says Salah is ten times better than Raheem Sterling. (Reuters)
TT

Mido: Mohamed Salah is 10 Times as Good as Raheem Sterling

Mido says Salah is ten times better than Raheem Sterling. (Reuters)
Mido says Salah is ten times better than Raheem Sterling. (Reuters)

Mido has been talking with refreshing candor for an hour, explaining why he predicted Mohamed Salah would be 10 times as good as Raheem Sterling, accepting he was a selfish player who could be difficult to handle, and praising Gareth Southgate for his transformation since the days when he would “panic” as Middlesbrough’s manager, yet the obvious and only place to start is with the Egyptian’s frank admission that he was staring death in the face unless he lost some weight.

It is an extraordinary story that resonates even more because Egypt played their opening World Cup match on Friday, narrowly losing to Uruguay. Mido, who is only 35 years old, could quite feasibly have been lining up alongside Salah against the South American team. Mido, however, retired from playing five years ago, after briefly falling out of love with football towards the end of a disappointing spell at Barnsley, and although he has rediscovered his affection for the game through coaching, the former Tottenham striker has clearly been through quite an ordeal with his health.

“I was 150kg and I reached a point where I couldn’t walk 30 yards,” Mido says. “If I did, I started to feel pain in my back, my joints and my knees. I remember I was getting off my boat in Egypt five months ago – this day is the turning point in my life – and I was walking off on to an island. I had three friends with me and it was 300 yards to the end of the island. The sand was a bit heavy and it was a bit sunny and I said to them: ‘I cannot walk.’ I had to sit for 30 minutes. I was only 34. That was the moment the switch flicked.

“Two days later I saw the doctor. He asked me to do blood tests. When I had the results and the doctor started to talk to me, I knew I had to change. He told me that my cholesterol is 320 and that the top of the average is 200. He said I was on the edge of being diabetic. And, to be honest, the doctor told me that if I continue with my lifestyle, there is a more than an 80 percent chance that I’ll die before I am 40. He told me: ‘You will die.’”

It was a sobering wake-up call that Mido had no intention of ignoring. Two weeks ago, he posted an updated photo to his 3.86 million Twitter followers, alongside a message revealing that he had lost a remarkable 37kg in five months. In the same breath, Mido thanked those who had mocked him, with the derogatory comments that had been made on social media giving him extra motivation to get back into shape, so much so that he recently played in the Fifa legends tournament in Moscow.

“I’ve totally transformed my lifestyle,” says Mido, who wants to speak about his story in the hope that he can encourage others with similar problems. “I don’t eat any bad carbs. I don’t eat anything fried at all. And I don’t eat any red meat. I have no salt or sugar. I do general training – swimming, playing squash, playing football, some easy weightlifting. But if I’m putting it in a percentage, it’s 70 percent what you eat and 30 percent workouts. If you want to lose weight, it’s what you put in your mouth.”

Mido looks and sounds as though he is in a much better place with his life these days and there is certainly no trace of regret that he is working at the World Cup as a pundit rather than playing as a center-forward, even if he did tweet a tongue-in-cheek message about his weight loss to remind Héctor Cúper, Egypt’s coach, that he averaged a goal every two games for his country.

Salah, perhaps not surprisingly, has an even better ratio and Mido has no doubt Egypt’s talisman can handle the pressure that comes with around 96 million people back home pinning their hopes on him. “He’s the kind of guy who says: ‘Come on, even if I have the whole nation on my shoulders, I don’t mind that.’

“He’s a great guy and I think the way he developed as a person, comparing Salah of Chelsea and Salah of Liverpool, is a miracle. I saw him at Chelsea and he was a shy boy. I even said on TV that if he keeps that character, unfortunately he will never be a big player, but that his quality can make it to the top. Three years ago when Liverpool wanted to sign Salah and he went to Chelsea, I went on Twitter and said: ‘Salah is 10 times better than Sterling,’ and people laughed at me. Sterling is a very good player, he’s developed so much under [Pep] Guardiola, but Salah is unbelievable, one of the very few players that if it’s his day, there’s no way to stop him.”

Although Mido was never in that category, he played for a distinguished list of clubs, including Ajax, Marseille, Roma and Spurs, and had plenty of talent. The problem, however, tended to be his attitude. “It’s true when I was younger I had some problems with some coaches and I wasn’t an easy boy to handle. I was only thinking of myself. I was selfish. And if it didn’t work for me in one place, the first decision for me was to go somewhere else.

“I was difficult. But I believe it’s so unfair to me now that the English media is still putting me in that corner. I never get what I deserve for what I’ve worked so hard for in the last five years to change that.”

Mido is referring to his progression into management – he has taken charge of three clubs in Egypt – and his appetite for learning when it comes to coaching. “I’ve changed my attitude in everything I’m doing and I’ve learned from my mistakes. I’ve worked on myself so much to become a good coach and now I’m very well educated. Marcel Desailly, who is working with us at beIn Sports, convinced me to go to the Welsh coaching program and said that it was the best thing for me to get a good education. And he wasn’t wrong.”

After finishing his “A” license with the Football Association of Wales, Mido is doing some punditry work while he weighs up a couple of job offers. He loves analyzing football for TV but is dismissive when asked if that could be enough for him. “No, no, no. Coaching, once you taste it, you cannot go out of it. Once you get the opportunity to build your own team, to make your own decisions and see your players doing something on the pitch that you have been working on for weeks, this is the best pleasure I have in my life.”

Generous with his time, Mido is happy to answer questions on anything and everything, including his thoughts on Southgate, who was his manager at Middlesbrough at a time when he now reflects that his playing career was starting to unravel.

“The way I see him talking now, I think that he’s changed a lot because at his first job at Middlesbrough he used to panic big-time during games and at half-time. For me as a player who had played for so many different managers, you could easily see it. If you look at this guy in the dressing room: ‘That’s his first job.’

“But now I see the way that he’s handled Sterling and a lot of other things around the team – I think he learned a lot from working with the FA and working on his badges. He got rushed into the Middlesbrough job and I don’t think that worked in his favor. He wasn’t ready. And I’m sure if you asked Southgate, he would say the same. But I really like what he is doing now.”

Asked how he thinks England will fare at the World Cup, Mido talks about how much he enjoys watching Southgate’s team and then turns on his telephone with a smile. “I have predicted every game. I will show it to you,” he says, pulling up a table. “Brazil will beat Germany in the final. England? They lose 2-1 to Poland in the last 16.”

The Guardian Sport



Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.


Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
TT

Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs

Ukrainian officials will boycott the Paralympic Winter Games, Kyiv said Wednesday, after the International Paralympic Committee allowed Russian athletes to compete under their national flag.

Ukraine also urged other countries to shun next month's Opening Ceremony in Verona on March 6, in part of a growing standoff between Kyiv and international sporting federations four years after Russia invaded.

Six Russians and four Belarusians will be allowed to take part under their own flags at the Milan-Cortina Paralympics rather than as neutral athletes, the Games' governing body confirmed to AFP on Tuesday.

Russia has been mostly banned from international sport since Moscow invaded Ukraine. The IPC's decision triggered fury in Ukraine.

Ukraine's sports minister Matviy Bidny called the decision "outrageous", and accused Russia and Belarus of turning "sport into a tool of war, lies, and contempt."

"Ukrainian public officials will not attend the Paralympic Games. We will not be present at the opening ceremony," he said on social media.

"We will not take part in any other official Paralympic events," he added.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said he had instructed Kyiv's ambassadors to urge other countries to also shun the opening ceremony.

"Allowing the flags of aggressor states to be raised at the Paralympic Games while Russia's war against Ukraine rages on is wrong -- morally and politically," Sybiga said on social media.

The EU's sports commissioner Glenn Micallef said he would also skip the opening ceremony.

- Kyiv demands apology -

The IPC's decision comes amid already heightened tensions between Ukraine and the International Olympic Committee, overseeing the Winter Olympics currently underway.

The IOC banned Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych for refusing to ditch a helmet depicting victims of the war with Russia.

Ukraine was further angered that the woman chosen to carry the "Ukraine" name card and lead its team out during the Opening Ceremony of the Games was revealed to be Russian.

Media reports called the woman an anti-Kremlin Russian woman living in Milan for years.

"Picking a Russian person to carry the nameplate is despicable," Kyiv's foreign ministry spokesman Georgiy Tykhy said at a briefing in response to a question by AFP.

He called it a "severe violation of the Olympic Charter" and demanded an apology.

And Kyiv also riled earlier this month at FIFA boss Gianni Infantino saying he believed it was time to reinstate Russia in international football.

- 'War, lies and contempt' -

Valeriy Sushkevych, president of the Ukrainian Paralympic Committee told AFP on Tuesday that Kyiv's athletes would not boycott the Paralympics.

Ukraine traditionally performs strongly at the Winter Paralympics, coming second in the medals table four years ago in Beijing.

"If we do not go, it would mean allowing Putin to claim a victory over Ukrainian Paralympians and over Ukraine by excluding us from the Games," said the 71-year-old in an interview.

"That will not happen!"

Russia was awarded two slots in alpine skiing, two in cross-country skiing and two in snowboarding. The four Belarusian slots are all in cross-country skiing.

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) said earlier those athletes would be "treated like (those from) any other country".

The IPC unexpectedly lifted its suspension on Russian and Belarusian athletes at the organisation's general assembly in September.


'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
TT

'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)

Ami Nakai entered her first Olympics insisting she was not here for medals — but after the short program at the Milano Cortina Games, the 17-year-old figure skater found herself at the top, ahead of national icon Kaori Sakamoto and rising star Mone Chiba.

Japan finished first, second, and fourth on Tuesday, cementing a formidable presence heading into the free skate on Thursday. American Alysa Liu finished third.

Nakai's clean, confident skate was anchored by a soaring triple Axel. She approached the moment with an ease unusual for an Olympic debut.

"I'm not here at this Olympics with the goal of achieving a high result, I'm really looking forward to enjoying this Olympics as much as I can, till the very last moment," she said.

"Since this is my first Olympics, I had nothing to lose, and that mindset definitely translated into my results," she said.

Her carefree confidence has unexpectedly put her in medal contention, though she cannot imagine herself surpassing Sakamoto, the three-time world champion who is skating the final chapter of her competitive career. Nakai scored 78.71 points in the short program, ahead of Sakamoto's 77.23.

"There's no way I stand a chance against Kaori right now," Nakai said. "I'm just enjoying these Olympics and trying my best."

Sakamoto, 25, who has said she will retire after these Games, is chasing the one accolade missing from her resume: Olympic gold.

Having already secured a bronze in Beijing in 2022 and team silvers in both Beijing and Milan, she now aims to cap her career with an individual title.

She delivered a polished short program to "Time to Say Goodbye," earning a standing ovation.

Sakamoto later said she managed her nerves well and felt satisfied, adding that having three Japanese skaters in the top four spots "really proves that Japan is getting stronger". She did not feel unnerved about finishing behind Nakai, who also bested her at the Grand Prix de France in October.

"I expected to be surpassed after she landed a triple Axel ... but the most important thing is how much I can concentrate on my own performance, do my best, stay focused for the free skate," she said.

Chiba placed fourth and said she felt energised heading into the free skate, especially after choosing to perform to music from the soundtrack of "Romeo and Juliet" in Italy.

"The rankings are really decided in the free program, so I'll just try to stay calm and focused in the free program and perform my own style without any mistakes," said the 20-year-old, widely regarded as the rising all-rounder whose steady ascent has made her one of Japan's most promising skaters.

All three skaters mentioned how seeing Japanese pair Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara deliver a stunning comeback, storming from fifth place after a shaky short program to capture Japan's first Olympic figure skating pairs gold medal, inspired them.

"I was really moved by Riku and Ryuichi last night," Chiba said. "The three of us girls talked about trying to live up to that standard."