125,000 Women Applied for their Driver’s License in Saudi Arabia

Saudi women driving in Jeddah. (SPA)
Saudi women driving in Jeddah. (SPA)
TT

125,000 Women Applied for their Driver’s License in Saudi Arabia

Saudi women driving in Jeddah. (SPA)
Saudi women driving in Jeddah. (SPA)

Some 125,000 women in four cities have applied for their driver’s license in Saudi Arabia, revealed Interior Ministry spokesman Mansour al-Turki on Sunday.

The applicants have no prior driving experience except for those who have a foreign driver’s license, he explained during a press conference in Riyadh.

“We were therefore keen to ensure that they sit for the necessary training,” he said, with each applicant going through over 30 hours of driving lessons to obtain their license.

Moreover, Turki stressed that the traffic law will be applied to both men and women equally.

He also revealed that efforts are underway to establish six driving schools in five cities, while 40 female traffic accident inspectors have started carrying out their duties.

The spokesman highlighted the recent measures that were taken ahead of the end of the driving ban against women, such as the adoption of the sexual harassment law.

“We still have much to achieve regarding allowing women to drive and what has been accomplished so far are important steps in this effort,” he stressed.

Furthermore, he stated that an assessment is being carried out at the driving schools and that 22 centers have been set up for women to trade their foreign driver’s licenses with local ones.

He voiced confidence that all concerned sides will respect the traffic laws and regulations, adding that the weight of a driving fine reflects the severity of the infraction.

General Director of the Traffic Directorate Mohammed al-Bassam stated that driving schools are operating according to international standards and plans have been prepared to develop them further.

Some traffic policies had been developed in the past four months in order to lower deaths caused by traffic accidents and improve infrastructure, he revealed.

Statistics from the past nine months showed a 20.93 percent drop in traffic accidents and 11.10 percent drop in injuries and 18.69 percent drop in deaths, he continued.

Not all women who applied for a driver’s license have passed the training, Bassami also remarked.

“So far, no traffic accident related to the end of the women driving ban has been registered in the past 24 hours,” he said, adding that there are no obstacles standing in the way of women from driving any type of vehicle.



Saudi FM Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from Russian Counterpart 

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
TT

Saudi FM Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from Russian Counterpart 

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov congratulated each other on Thursday on the centenary of diplomatic relations between their countries.

Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Waleed Elkhereiji received, on behalf of the foreign minister, a letter from Lavrov during a meeting with Russian Ambassador to the Kingdom Sergey Kozlov in Riyadh.

The diplomats exchanged congratulations on the centenary of diplomatic relations and discussed several issues of common interest.


Saudi Defense Minister Decorates Former CENTCOM Commander with King Abdulaziz Medal 

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Defense Minister Decorates Former CENTCOM Commander with King Abdulaziz Medal 

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz bestowed on Thursday the King Abdulaziz Medal of Excellent Class upon former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla.

The medal was awarded at the directives of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.

The ceremony took place at the defense minister's office in Riyadh.


Saudi Crown Prince Performs Prayers at Prophet's Mosque in Madinah 

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Performs Prayers at Prophet's Mosque in Madinah 

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, visited the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday to perform prayers.

He received upon his arrival by President of Religious Affairs at the Grand Mosque and the Prophet's Mosque Sheikh Dr. Abdulrahman Al-Sudais, Minister of Hajj and Umrah Tawfig Al-Rabiah, and a number of the mosque's imams and preachers.

Crown Prince Mohammed was accompanied by Governor of the Madinah Region Prince Salman bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz, Minister of State and Cabinet Member Prince Turki bin Mohammed bin Fahd bin Abdulaziz, Deputy Governor of the Riyadh Region Prince Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Abdulaziz, Deputy Governor of the Madinah Region Prince Saud bin Nahar bin Saud bin Abdulaziz, Prince Saud bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, Minister of Culture Prince Bader bin Abdullah bin Farhan, and several other officials.

Earlier, in Riyadh, Crown Prince Mohammed received at the Al-Yamamah Palace Saudi Arabia's grand mufti, several princes, scholars, ministers, and a number of citizens who came to extend their congratulations on the occasion of Ramadan. 

The Crown Prince prayed to Allah Almighty to accept everyone's fasting and righteous deeds, and to bless the Kingdom with continued security, stability, and prosperity under the leadership of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.