Israel Tells Hamas: Incendiary Kites or War

A truck parks next to a security barrier inside the Kerem Shalom border crossing terminal between Israel and Gaza Strip, January 16, 2018. (Reuters)
A truck parks next to a security barrier inside the Kerem Shalom border crossing terminal between Israel and Gaza Strip, January 16, 2018. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Tells Hamas: Incendiary Kites or War

A truck parks next to a security barrier inside the Kerem Shalom border crossing terminal between Israel and Gaza Strip, January 16, 2018. (Reuters)
A truck parks next to a security barrier inside the Kerem Shalom border crossing terminal between Israel and Gaza Strip, January 16, 2018. (Reuters)

Israel has put Hamas before two choices; either putting an end to burning kites sent to Israel or starting a new round of battles that could include occupying Gaza Strip.

Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman said Tuesday that Israeli army knows what to do and when to do it, adding that it is ready and prepared for any mission. Lieberman made the statement while visiting a military drill for a possible war on the Strip.

"If we have to launch a military campaign, we will be able to defeat any enemy,” he asserted.

"We will determine the rules of the game, and no one else," he said in response to remarks made by Hamas chief of political office Ismail Haniyeh, who said during Saturday's clashes that resistance factions determine the rules of the game.

The drill, which is to last until Thursday, simulates the capturing of Gaza City by Israeli troops. It sees troops from the armored, infantry, engineering and artillery corps train for a variety of scenarios inside enemy territory including handling the local civilian population.

The maneuvers are dubbed “Gates of Steel”, and a senior Southern Command official told Israel Hayom ‎Monday that most likely Israel will not go into war over incendiary kites and ‎balloons.

"We don't want war. The desired situation is one ‎where we don't have to deal with incendiary kites, ‎balloons and drones, but we gauge our response ‎according to the situation on the ground. We will ‎intensify our response gradually until it all ‎stops," he added.‎

Lieberman’s threats came shortly after he decided to completely close Kerem Shalom crossing, banning fuel imports, and only allowing food and medicine to be sent if each shipment is individually approved.

“In light of the continued terror attempts by the Hamas terrorist organization, Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman, in consultation with the chief of staff, has decided to close the Kerem Shalom crossing to imports of oil and gas until this Sunday,” statement published by Lieberman’s office said.

“The crossing will continue to transfer food and medicine [shipments] that are individually approved,” it added.

The new restrictions are added to previous ones imposed by Israel last week, when exports of products from Gaza were suspended and most products were barred from entering the Strip. The army said the closure would continue as long as Palestinians continued to fire kites and balloons at Israel.

A truce sponsored by Egypt last Saturday did not discuss incendiary planes, which have threatened the ceasefire agreement.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he would not allow kites to continue under the cease-fire agreement, and Hamas responded that they were not included in the deal.

Late March, Palestinians began using incendiary kites during the Marches of Return, causing the burning of about 30,000 dunams of Israeli farms in the vicinity of Gaza. Israel tried to stop the kites without any success, and then it announced in the latest round of escalation on Saturday, that the cease-fire in Gaza must include the kites or there won’t be one. Israeli officials agreed at a meeting of the Israeli cabinet to target and stop flaming kites any cost.

In an attempt to spare Gaza a new war, Cairo pressed Hamas and gave it days to end or significantly reduce the phenomenon of burning kites and balloons from the Gaza Strip towards the adjacent Israeli areas.

Meanwhile, Israeli daily Yedioth Ahronoth reported Hamas responded and informed the Egyptian intelligence service that it was actually working to reduce the number of burning balloons sent to Israel, but was unable to end it all at once.

A source in the Gaza Strip told the newspaper that Hamas cannot stop sending the flaming balloons, because this will harm its credibility among the people of the Strip and its supporters in general, and therefore it will do so gradually.

Indeed, the number of flaming kites and balloons launched from Gaza has been reduced over the past three days, following the announcement of a truce between Hamas and Israel.

Egypt’s stance also came in line with that of UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process Nickolay Mladenov, who warned Hamas of a devastating war because of the kites.

An Egyptian source familiar with the file of Egyptian relations with Palestine and Israel told Asharq Al-Awsat that Israel is trying to test Cairo by closing Kerem Shalom crossing, despite the heavy economic losses it causes to Tel Aviv. He added that Israel wants Egypt to permanently open Rafah crossing.

The source explained that Cairo understands that "the understandings accompanying the ceasefire and truce in the Gaza Strip between Hamas and Israel, is not strong and may not last long."

Over the coming ten days, Egypt will discuss with Fatah movement to get answers on what Hamas suggested during an earlier session of talks with Egyptian intelligence officials. A tripartite meeting is underway that will include representatives of the Islamic Jihad, Fatah, and Hamas.

“Cairo will provide facilities for Gaza Strip, but without putting pressure on the Egyptian decision in any way,” he added.

Hamas warned of "serious consequences" of Israel's recent decisions.

“The Israeli occupation’s closure of the Kerem Shalom crossing and depriving Gaza of the most simple necessities of life is a crime against humanity that will be added to its list of crimes at the expense of the Palestinian people including those living in the Strip,” said Hamas announced in a statement posted on its official website.

These vengeful measures reflect the degree of the oppression and the ugliness of the crime that Gaza is facing, that will have dangerous consequences for which the occupation will bear full responsibility, asserted the statement.

In a similar situation, the Islamic Jihad warned that increasing pressure on Gaza would put the region on the “brink of an explosion”.



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.