Deteriorating Living Conditions Prompt Libyan Demands for New Government

Libyan GNA Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj. (Reuters)
Libyan GNA Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj. (Reuters)
TT

Deteriorating Living Conditions Prompt Libyan Demands for New Government

Libyan GNA Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj. (Reuters)
Libyan GNA Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj. (Reuters)

The wave of resignations from the Government of National Accord (GNA) and accusations that it has failed in managing Libya’s affairs have prompted demands for the formation of an independent national unity government that can resolve the militia chaos sweeping the capital Tripoli.

Protests, the most recent of which took place in Tripoli on Friday, have been demanding the formation of such a government. The people have rallied against the GNA and its Presidential Council, both chaired by Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj, and the poor living conditions.

The people complained over frequent energy cuts and the prevalence of militias.

MP Mosbah Douma Awhaida said that reviewing the Presidential Council has become a necessity in wake of the resignations and the errors in managing Libya.

He cited the resignation of Moussa al-Kouni, Ali al-Qatrani and Fathi al-Majbari from the council.

These developments have rendered the GNA and council “useless after the demise of its spirit of accord,” he noted.

It risks losing its neutral stance if its continues in its present state and it may eventually transform into a rival in the ongoing political dispute, warned the lawmaker.

“The accord that was backed by the international community and the majority of the Libyan factions is now at a crossroads. Its agenda should be revised to reflect all powers, not just certain figures,” Awhaida added.

He therefore proposed the restructuring of the executive authority until a president and deputies are chosen. This will be followed with the formation of an independent national unity government that can unite state institutions and help hold a referendum on the constitution in the lead-up to the December presidential and parliamentary elections.

Tobruk MP Saleh Hashem Ismail, meanwhile, said that there can be no talk of the formation of a national unity government.

Zintan MP Omar Ghaith Qarmil countered, however, saying that the establishment of such a cabinet “is a step in the right direction.”

“We had previously stated that a solution cannot be reached given the current division in the executive authority,” he added.

He wondered, however: “How can such a government be formed amid the dangerous security situation? How will it go about its duties while the militias are controlling the capital?”

A fertile ground is, therefore, needed to tackle the security situation and establish an environment that is necessary for the new government to carry out its duties, he said.

A number of lawmakers had held consultations in mid-June aimed at forming a national unity cabinet.

An agreement was reportedly reached, but nothing has materialized yet.

MP Jalal al-Shuwaihdi welcomed efforts to form such a cabinet, noting however that they are being hindered by several sides.

“Some powers are openly supporting such a move, but covertly working against it,” he told Asharq Al-Awsat.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.