Preliminary Power-sharing Agreement in South Sudan

South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (L) and South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar (R) dance during a South Sudan peace meeting as part of talks to negotiate an end to a civil war that broke out in 2013, in Khartoum, Sudan June 25, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah
South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (L) and South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar (R) dance during a South Sudan peace meeting as part of talks to negotiate an end to a civil war that broke out in 2013, in Khartoum, Sudan June 25, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah
TT

Preliminary Power-sharing Agreement in South Sudan

South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (L) and South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar (R) dance during a South Sudan peace meeting as part of talks to negotiate an end to a civil war that broke out in 2013, in Khartoum, Sudan June 25, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah
South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (L) and South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar (R) dance during a South Sudan peace meeting as part of talks to negotiate an end to a civil war that broke out in 2013, in Khartoum, Sudan June 25, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah

The two warring parties in south Sudan signed a preliminary power-sharing agreement on Wednesday to re-appoint rebel leader Riek Machar as vice president.

As part of its regional efforts to end the conflict in the country, Khartoum hosted a round of peace talks between both leaders Salva Kiir and Riek Machar. The two sides agreed to a permanent ceasefire and to the withdrawal of their troops from residential areas.

Earlier this month, the two parties agreed to share power, but signing the agreement was delayed due to differences over the content of the agreement.

Sudanese Foreign Minister al-Dierdiry Ahmed said the power-sharing document has been signed and it addresses all pending issues during the transitional term.

Speaking at a signing ceremony at the Higher Academy for Strategic and Security Studies, Ahmed asserted: "Salva Kiir will continue as president of South Sudan and Riek Machar will be the first vice president.”

"There will be four other vice presidents shared between other political groups," the minister said as he explained the details of the pact.

The agreement was signed by the Government of Southern Sudan, the main armed opposition led by Riek Machar, some members of the opposition political parties coalition and civil society organizations. Group of former political prisoners, led by former Sec-Gen of People’s Liberation Movement Pagan Amum and some of the opposition coalition group refrained from signing the agreement.

Once the peace deal is signed, the parties will be given three months to form a new-formatted government that will take over for another 36 months.

Ahmed said one issue that still needed to be sorted out was how to share power at the level of regions and counties.

"The negotiations on this will continue until we have an agreement," he said, adding that some opposition groups had refused to sign the deal but talks with them also continued.

Minister Ahmed explained that the preliminary deal stipulates the formation of a 35-member transitional government comprising 20 ministers from the current government, nine from Machar's opposition coalition, while the rest will represent other opposition groups.

The parliament will consist of 550 lawmakers, including 330 from Kiir’s group, 123 from Machar's faction, 50 from the opposition, 30 from other political groups, and 10 from former detainees.

Juba and opposition factions have both rejected the draft deal suggested last week on Independent Border Committee (IBC), comprised mostly of foreigners.

The new proposal identified 15 members of the commission who would determine the fate of 32 states rejected by the opposition. The new document also proposed the appointment of five members of South Sudan’s government, two representatives of the Machar Movement and one for each of the alliance of opposition parties, group of former detainees and civil society organizations. The deal kept the representatives of the Troika countries as experts, with the Commission comprising five representatives of the African Union from Nigeria, Tanzania, Algeria, Chad and South Africa.

The proposal indicated that the Committee was limited to alternatives proposed by the parties and any other viable alternatives.

The mechanism has been changed in case IBC members fail to reach consensus. In the new draft, decisions will be taken by "two-thirds of all its members that shall include at least seven (7) of its South Sudanese members", abandoning the rule of the simple majority in the previous draft.

The United States doubts whether Kiir and Machar have the leadership qualities needed to deliver peace to the country at war since 2013, the White House said on Sunday.

Peace talks last week in the South Sudanese capital Juba need to be more inclusive to succeed, the White House said, warning that it is “prepared to sanction additional persons engaged in corrupt activity and those who threaten the peace, security, or stability of South Sudan.”

“We are deeply concerned about the direction of the current peace process,” reiterated the WH, adding that: “a narrow agreement between elites will not solve the problems plaguing South Sudan,” said the statement.

“South Sudan’s political leaders... have not demonstrated the leadership required to bring genuine peace... We remain sceptical that they can oversee a peaceful and timely transition to democracy and good governance,” it said.

UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advised against all travel to South Sudan because of ongoing fight there. The Office warned that if any UK citizen is in Darfur against its advice, or in the Libyan desert area of Northern state, they should consider carefully whether to remain in the area, monitor local media and security channels for the latest updates, and follow instructions from security forces.

The British Embassy continues to monitor the situation.

FCO asked British national to “exercise vigilance and take care to avoid large crowds and demonstrations wherever possible.”

“If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission,” FCO asserted, asking all nationals to contact embassy in Nairobi before heading to Juba.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.