Preliminary Power-sharing Agreement in South Sudan

South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (L) and South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar (R) dance during a South Sudan peace meeting as part of talks to negotiate an end to a civil war that broke out in 2013, in Khartoum, Sudan June 25, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah
South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (L) and South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar (R) dance during a South Sudan peace meeting as part of talks to negotiate an end to a civil war that broke out in 2013, in Khartoum, Sudan June 25, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah
TT

Preliminary Power-sharing Agreement in South Sudan

South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (L) and South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar (R) dance during a South Sudan peace meeting as part of talks to negotiate an end to a civil war that broke out in 2013, in Khartoum, Sudan June 25, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah
South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (L) and South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar (R) dance during a South Sudan peace meeting as part of talks to negotiate an end to a civil war that broke out in 2013, in Khartoum, Sudan June 25, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah

The two warring parties in south Sudan signed a preliminary power-sharing agreement on Wednesday to re-appoint rebel leader Riek Machar as vice president.

As part of its regional efforts to end the conflict in the country, Khartoum hosted a round of peace talks between both leaders Salva Kiir and Riek Machar. The two sides agreed to a permanent ceasefire and to the withdrawal of their troops from residential areas.

Earlier this month, the two parties agreed to share power, but signing the agreement was delayed due to differences over the content of the agreement.

Sudanese Foreign Minister al-Dierdiry Ahmed said the power-sharing document has been signed and it addresses all pending issues during the transitional term.

Speaking at a signing ceremony at the Higher Academy for Strategic and Security Studies, Ahmed asserted: "Salva Kiir will continue as president of South Sudan and Riek Machar will be the first vice president.”

"There will be four other vice presidents shared between other political groups," the minister said as he explained the details of the pact.

The agreement was signed by the Government of Southern Sudan, the main armed opposition led by Riek Machar, some members of the opposition political parties coalition and civil society organizations. Group of former political prisoners, led by former Sec-Gen of People’s Liberation Movement Pagan Amum and some of the opposition coalition group refrained from signing the agreement.

Once the peace deal is signed, the parties will be given three months to form a new-formatted government that will take over for another 36 months.

Ahmed said one issue that still needed to be sorted out was how to share power at the level of regions and counties.

"The negotiations on this will continue until we have an agreement," he said, adding that some opposition groups had refused to sign the deal but talks with them also continued.

Minister Ahmed explained that the preliminary deal stipulates the formation of a 35-member transitional government comprising 20 ministers from the current government, nine from Machar's opposition coalition, while the rest will represent other opposition groups.

The parliament will consist of 550 lawmakers, including 330 from Kiir’s group, 123 from Machar's faction, 50 from the opposition, 30 from other political groups, and 10 from former detainees.

Juba and opposition factions have both rejected the draft deal suggested last week on Independent Border Committee (IBC), comprised mostly of foreigners.

The new proposal identified 15 members of the commission who would determine the fate of 32 states rejected by the opposition. The new document also proposed the appointment of five members of South Sudan’s government, two representatives of the Machar Movement and one for each of the alliance of opposition parties, group of former detainees and civil society organizations. The deal kept the representatives of the Troika countries as experts, with the Commission comprising five representatives of the African Union from Nigeria, Tanzania, Algeria, Chad and South Africa.

The proposal indicated that the Committee was limited to alternatives proposed by the parties and any other viable alternatives.

The mechanism has been changed in case IBC members fail to reach consensus. In the new draft, decisions will be taken by "two-thirds of all its members that shall include at least seven (7) of its South Sudanese members", abandoning the rule of the simple majority in the previous draft.

The United States doubts whether Kiir and Machar have the leadership qualities needed to deliver peace to the country at war since 2013, the White House said on Sunday.

Peace talks last week in the South Sudanese capital Juba need to be more inclusive to succeed, the White House said, warning that it is “prepared to sanction additional persons engaged in corrupt activity and those who threaten the peace, security, or stability of South Sudan.”

“We are deeply concerned about the direction of the current peace process,” reiterated the WH, adding that: “a narrow agreement between elites will not solve the problems plaguing South Sudan,” said the statement.

“South Sudan’s political leaders... have not demonstrated the leadership required to bring genuine peace... We remain sceptical that they can oversee a peaceful and timely transition to democracy and good governance,” it said.

UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advised against all travel to South Sudan because of ongoing fight there. The Office warned that if any UK citizen is in Darfur against its advice, or in the Libyan desert area of Northern state, they should consider carefully whether to remain in the area, monitor local media and security channels for the latest updates, and follow instructions from security forces.

The British Embassy continues to monitor the situation.

FCO asked British national to “exercise vigilance and take care to avoid large crowds and demonstrations wherever possible.”

“If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission,” FCO asserted, asking all nationals to contact embassy in Nairobi before heading to Juba.



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.