Laughter, Long Passes ...and La Liga? Santi Cazorla’s Remarkable Return

 Wednesday’s match against Montpellier was Santi Cazorla’s third pre-season appearance in nine days for Villarreal, who want to re-sign the former Arsenal midfielder. Photograph: Alexandre Dimou/Icon Sport via Getty
Wednesday’s match against Montpellier was Santi Cazorla’s third pre-season appearance in nine days for Villarreal, who want to re-sign the former Arsenal midfielder. Photograph: Alexandre Dimou/Icon Sport via Getty
TT

Laughter, Long Passes ...and La Liga? Santi Cazorla’s Remarkable Return

 Wednesday’s match against Montpellier was Santi Cazorla’s third pre-season appearance in nine days for Villarreal, who want to re-sign the former Arsenal midfielder. Photograph: Alexandre Dimou/Icon Sport via Getty
Wednesday’s match against Montpellier was Santi Cazorla’s third pre-season appearance in nine days for Villarreal, who want to re-sign the former Arsenal midfielder. Photograph: Alexandre Dimou/Icon Sport via Getty

At the end of the game, Santi Cazorla pushed down his bright yellow socks, hitched up the right leg of his shorts and took off his plain black boots, leaving them on the pitch at the picturesque little Stade Saint-Michel in Canet-en-Roussillon, south-east France. He still refuses to hang them up. The equaliser came so late that it never went up on the scoreboard among the trees on the bank behind one goal but although that said 1-0, the visitors had not been beaten and nor has he. The former Arsenal midfielder has not made a competitive appearance since 19 October 2016 but at last there is optimism that he will.

After almost two years, 10 operations and a warning that walking round the garden might be all he could aspire to, Cazorla is playing again and he took another step on Wednesday. The 33-year-old departed Arsenal in May, Arsène Wenger having described the injury as “the worst I’ve ever seen” and replying “I hope you’re wrong” when it was suggested the Spaniard might never play again. But Cazorla has now made three pre-season appearances in nine days for La Liga side Villarreal, where he previously played, and they intend to sign him. “I’ll never be able to repay Villarreal everything they’ve done,” he said.

There is still discomfort in the right heel, the stiffness of inactivity making muscles tight too, but it is overwhelmed by playing, at least during the game itself. Last week Cazorla admitted playing even 20 minutes at a reasonable level was “unthinkable”. The night he said so, 636 days after his last appearance, against Ludogorets in the Champions League, he had played half an hour against Hércules – an appropriately named opponent. “It was very special to feel like a footballer again,” he said, and coming back had been some task, his achilles tendon reconstructed, 8cm of it eaten by infection, part of his forearm grafted on to his ankle.

“It’s not a big injury,” Wenger said when he withdrew Cazorla for the last time but the problems multiplied and his Arsenal career ended. The fear existed that his career might have done. He continues to fight that and, while this tiny stadium is a fraction of the size of the Emirates, being here meant a lot.

Cazorla spent much of last season living and working alone in Salamanca. After being released by Arsenal, he trained with Alavés’ youth team before Villarreal called. He joined pre-season in Girona and there is caution, of course, but sessions are completed daily, and there is a game almost every three or four days before the league begins next month.

Hércules was the first game, on 17 July. Three days later he was sent on in the 47th minute against Marseille. Here there were another 30 minutes on a patchy, slightly uneven pitch near Perpignan, the team bus pulling up behind a temporary stand on one side at the home of the French fifth-tier side Canet Roussillon. On the other, a small main stand. At one end, fans gather among the trees on the bank. At the other, pink and white rhododendrons run along a wall, a dozen or so people gathered behind the goal, a small tractor turned forklift truck is parked up in the corner.

A big, imposing fence runs round the pitch, which looks a little out of place in this setting and not entirely necessary either. In total, maybe 400 people come. There is a dog too, standing behind the bench where Cazorla begins the evening giggling his way through the pitch inspection – not good, in truth: dry, uneven and sandy brown in places – and the pre-match kickabout before taking his seat.

Advertising boards announce local companies. A small bar sells chips and wine. At kick-off, a couple of fans shout “Montpellier!” and that is about it until there is a gasp of breath and applause for a wonderful touch. Not from Cazorla but Montpellier’s Isaac Mbenza, who also makes the opening goal. Cazorla is still on the bench but at half-time there he is on the pitch, giggling again. At times it is hard to reconcile his relentless happiness, that smile, with how hard it has been. The brutal reality.

The analyst comes over and slots the chip and transmitter into the vest Cazorla is wearing, his every move tracked, and a few minutes later, he joins five others warming up. After 59 minutes, they are introduced. Cazorla does not run on. He is playing on the near side, high up on the left, although of no fixed position. His first pass is a long diagonal, towards the tractor and the feet of Nicola Sansone. His next accelerates everything, the pass turned sharply inside to Samu Castillejo, intent suddenly imposed on the move. Very Cazorla. He might not always move especially fast but at times the ball does and so do the feet. Both, of course.

Twenty-five times he gets the ball, at a rough tally. He loses it three times, the passes a little overhit. And speaking of losing it, when Montpellier’s No 9, Giovanni Sio, needlessly hits him – hard too – there is a flash of anger, the hint of a flick of the foot. When it happens again, Sio steaming in once more, a confrontation begins. Castillejo piles in, the first to leap to Cazorla’s defence. Others follow; from the two benches, words are exchanged. Only the man hit stands aside, watching it silently by the touchline. Montpellier coach, Michel Der Zakarian, holds out an apologetic hand, and also withdraws Sio.

Cazorla looks a bit bemused and momentarily looks at his ankle but he is fine, so he continues. Another evening, more encouragement. Cautious optimism. “Carry on like this, and …” one member of staff says from the back of the stand.

A clever pass gives Karl Toko Ekambi a chance, one on one, which he puts wide. A shot is blocked on the edge of the area and a volley flies over. Then – get this – Cazorla wins a header, which he is still laughing about later. There is a tackle, too. And a foul – a fairly cynical one, tripping his opponent as he seeks to go round him on the outside.

Time is running out but the equaliser arrives. It would be quite a stretch to say Cazorla starts it – his pass is simple, sideways and deep near halfway, while four more follow before the cross is headed in by Ekambi – but not long ago it would have been a stretch to have even been out there, so it is something. It all is.

At the whistle, Cazorla pulls off his boots, slowly heading towards the tunnel before joining his teammates in a circle on the grass. His captain comes to bump fists. There is a word from the manger, another burst of laughter.

When they stand and make their way, Cazorla stops to pose for photographs with the ball girls, youngsters who play for Canet Roussillon. He gives one his shirt, No 12. Then he signs autographs through the fence. Just doing things footballers do.

The Guardian Sport



Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
TT

Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)

A city forever associated with Romeo and Juliet, Verona will host the final act of the Milan Cortina Winter Olympics on Sunday inside the ancient Roman Arena, where some 1,500 athletes will celebrate their feats against a backdrop of Italian music and dance.

Acclaimed ballet dancer Roberto Bolle has been rehearsing for the closing ceremony inside the Arena di Verona this week under a veil of secrecy, along with some 350 volunteers, for a spectacle titled “Beauty in Motion," which frames beauty as something inherently dynamic.

“Beauty cannot be fixed in time. This ancient monument is beautiful if it is alive, if it continues to change,” said the ceremony's producer, Alfredo Accatino. “This is what we want to narrate: An Italy that is changing, and also the beauty of movement, the beauty of sport and the beauty of nature."

Other headlining Italian artists include singer Achille Lauro and DJ Gabry Ponte, whose hits could be heard blasting from the Arena during rehearsals this week.

Inside a tent serving as a dressing room, seamstresses put the finishing touches on costumes inspired by the opera world as volunteers prepped for the stage, The Associated Press reported.

“It’s really special to be inside the Arena,” said Matilde Ricchiuto, a student from a local dance school. "Usually, I am there as a spectator and now I get to be a star, I would say. I feel super special.”

The Arena has been a venue for popular entertainment since it was first built in 1 A.D., predating the larger Roman Colosseum by decades. Accatino said the ancient monument will produce some surprises from within its vast tunnels.

“Under the Arena there is a mysterious world that hides everything that has happened. At a certain point, this world will come out," Accatino said, promising “something very beautiful."

The ceremony will open with athletes parading triumphantly through Piazza Bra into the Arena, which once served as a stage for gladiator fights and hunts for exotic beasts.

The closing ceremony stage was inspired by a drop of water, meant to symbolically unite the Olympic mountain venues with the Po River Valley, where Milan and Verona are located, while serving as a reminder that the Winter Games are being reshaped by climate change.

While the opening ceremony was held in Milan, the other host city, Cortina d’Ampezzo, nestled in the Dolomite mountains, was considered too small and remote to host the closing ceremony. Verona, in the same Veneto region as Cortina, was chosen for its unique venue and relatively central location, said Maria Laura Iascone, the local organizing committee's head of ceremonies.

“Only Italians can use such monuments to do special events, so this is very unique, very rare," Iascone said of the Arena.

She promised a more intimate evening than the opening ceremony in Milan's San Siro soccer stadium, with about 12,000 people attending the closing compared with more than 60,000 for the opening.

Iascone said about 1,500 of the nearly 3,000 athletes participating in the most spread-out Winter Games in Olympic history are expected to drive a little over an hour from Milan and between two and four hours from the six mountain venues.

The ceremony will close with the Olympic flame being extinguished. A light show will substitute fireworks, which are not allowed in Verona to protect animals from being disturbed.

The Verona Arena will also be the venue for the Paralympic opening ceremony on March 6. For the ceremonies, the ancient Arena has been retrofitted with new wheelchair ramps and accessible restrooms along with other safety upgrades. The six Paralympic events will be held in Milan and Cortina until March 15.


Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
TT

Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn

Arsenal blew a two-goal lead at last-place Wolves on Wednesday to give a huge boost to Manchester City in the race for the Premier League title.

The league leader was held to a surprise 2-2 draw at Molineux, having led 2-0 in the second half.

Teenage debutant Tom Edozie scored in the fourth minute of added time to complete Wolves' comeback.

“There was a big difference in how we played in the first half and the second half. We dropped our standards and we got punished for it,” Arsenal forward Bukayo Saka told the BBC.

The draw means Arsenal has dropped points in back-to-back games and leaves it just five ahead of second-place City, having played a game more.

With the top two still to play each other at City's Etihad Stadium, the title race is too close to call.

“(It's) time to focus on ourselves, improve our standards and improve our performances and it is in our control,” Saka said.

Arsenal has led the way for the majority of the season and one bookmaker paid out on Mikel Arteta's team winning the title after it opened up a nine-point lead earlier this month.

But Wednesday's result was the latest sign that it is feeling the pressure, having finished runner-up in each of the last three seasons. It has won just two of its last seven league games.

Having blown a lead against Brentford last week, it was even worse at a Wolves team that has won just one game all season.

Victory looked all but secured after Saka gave Arsenal the lead with a header in the fifth minute and Piero Hincapie ran through to blast in the second in the 56th.

But Wolves' fightback began with Hugo Bueno's curling shot into the top corner in the 61st.

The 19-year-old Edozie was sent on as a substitute in the 84th and his effort earned the home team only its 10th point of a campaign that looks certain to end in relegation.

While it did little for Wolves' chances of survival, it may have had a major impact at the top of the standings.

“Incredibly disappointed that we gave two points away,” Arteta said. "I think we need to fault ourselves and give credit to Wolves. But what we did in the second half was nowhere near our standards that we have to play in order to win a game in the Premier League.

“When you don’t perform you can get punished, and we got punished and we have to accept the hits because that can happen when you are on top."

Arsenal plays Tottenham on Sunday. Its lead could be cut to two points before it kicks off if City wins against Newcastle on Saturday.


Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.