South Sudan Factions Sign Peace Deal

South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (R) talks to Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir after signing a cease fire and power sharing agreement with South Sudanese rebel leader Riek Machar in Khartoum, Sudan August 5, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah
South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (R) talks to Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir after signing a cease fire and power sharing agreement with South Sudanese rebel leader Riek Machar in Khartoum, Sudan August 5, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah
TT

South Sudan Factions Sign Peace Deal

South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (R) talks to Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir after signing a cease fire and power sharing agreement with South Sudanese rebel leader Riek Machar in Khartoum, Sudan August 5, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah
South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (R) talks to Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir after signing a cease fire and power sharing agreement with South Sudanese rebel leader Riek Machar in Khartoum, Sudan August 5, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah

The government and rebels in South Sudan signed on Sunday a final power-sharing deal, aimed at ending a civil war that has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced millions in the country.

President Salva Kiir and his rival Riek Machar, head of opposition, signed the deal in Sudan in the presence of Sudan’s President Omar al-Bashir and head of Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD).

The signing process was postponed three times since Sunday’s noon because of disagreements between South Sudanese parties over a number of outstanding issues on power-sharing and governance, a source close to the talks told Asharq al-Awsat.

The source added that the group of former detainees, members of the political bureau of the ruling party, and South Sudan Opposition Alliance (SSOA) argued the issue of their participation in the governance, noting that IGAD intervened to solve the issue.

Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni was also present and played a role in bringing closer the views, according to the source. He added that heavy pressure has been placed on the parties to ensure the deal eventually gets signed.

In addition to Bashir and Museveni, the signing ceremony was also attended by Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta, whose country will host the third phase of the negotiations on the remaining issues and implementation mechanisms of the convention.

Djibouti President Ismail Omar Guelleh, Somali Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khaire and Ethiopian Deputy Prime Minister Demeke Mekonnen also attended the ceremony.

Leaders and prime ministers of IGAD signed the agreement offering their support to the parties and pledged to commit to peace in South Sudan.

Khartoum hosted the current round of negotiations under the auspices of Bashir on the mandate of IGAD summit held earlier in June.

Earlier, the Opposition Alliance had accused the Sudanese security services of intimidating some opposition representatives in Khartoum and ordering them to sign the governance agreement on behalf of their groups.

"Sudan Security personnel has resorted to extreme intimidation and arm-twisting coercing SSOA members to sign on behalf of their constituent parties," the group in a statement released on Saturday evening.

On 3 August, the Alliance rejected the agreement on outstanding issues on governance chapter of the 2015 peace deal voicing strong reservations about power-sharing at the state level and the suggested referendum if the parties fail to reach compromise on this respect during the transitional period.

"SSOA would like to alert the IGAD mediation, African Union, Troika, the UN, and the world that such mediation of peace by the Sudan will not provide a genuine sustainable peace in South Sudan," said the statement.

The Alliance lodged an official complaint against Sudan mediation and its security personnel interference and intimidation.

Earlier, Sudan’s Foreign Minister Al-Dirdiri Mohamed Ahmed said the non-signatory groups would continue the discussions on the pending issues with the Kenyan mediation which will host the talks from Monday onward.

First Vice President Taban Deng Gai agreed to give up his post in order to achieve peace in his country. In a statement released in Juba by Taban’s office spokesperson, Angel Machar, the First VP announced that he waived the position during a joint meeting with President Kiir and Sudan’s Foreign Minister in Juba last Friday.

Under the initial peace deal, Kiir will continue to serve as president and Machar will be reinstated as the first vice president.

South Sudan attained independence from Sudan in 2011 but the country descended into a civil war two years later between Kiir and Machar.

The war has caused one of the largest humanitarian crises in the continent, according to the UN.

About 2 million South Sudanese have become refugees in neighboring countries, and more than 10,000 people killed from 2013 to 2015 alone. A previously signed agreement in August 2015 failed to maintain peace.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.