South Sudan Factions Sign Peace Deal

South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (R) talks to Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir after signing a cease fire and power sharing agreement with South Sudanese rebel leader Riek Machar in Khartoum, Sudan August 5, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah
South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (R) talks to Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir after signing a cease fire and power sharing agreement with South Sudanese rebel leader Riek Machar in Khartoum, Sudan August 5, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah
TT

South Sudan Factions Sign Peace Deal

South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (R) talks to Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir after signing a cease fire and power sharing agreement with South Sudanese rebel leader Riek Machar in Khartoum, Sudan August 5, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah
South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (R) talks to Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir after signing a cease fire and power sharing agreement with South Sudanese rebel leader Riek Machar in Khartoum, Sudan August 5, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah

The government and rebels in South Sudan signed on Sunday a final power-sharing deal, aimed at ending a civil war that has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced millions in the country.

President Salva Kiir and his rival Riek Machar, head of opposition, signed the deal in Sudan in the presence of Sudan’s President Omar al-Bashir and head of Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD).

The signing process was postponed three times since Sunday’s noon because of disagreements between South Sudanese parties over a number of outstanding issues on power-sharing and governance, a source close to the talks told Asharq al-Awsat.

The source added that the group of former detainees, members of the political bureau of the ruling party, and South Sudan Opposition Alliance (SSOA) argued the issue of their participation in the governance, noting that IGAD intervened to solve the issue.

Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni was also present and played a role in bringing closer the views, according to the source. He added that heavy pressure has been placed on the parties to ensure the deal eventually gets signed.

In addition to Bashir and Museveni, the signing ceremony was also attended by Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta, whose country will host the third phase of the negotiations on the remaining issues and implementation mechanisms of the convention.

Djibouti President Ismail Omar Guelleh, Somali Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khaire and Ethiopian Deputy Prime Minister Demeke Mekonnen also attended the ceremony.

Leaders and prime ministers of IGAD signed the agreement offering their support to the parties and pledged to commit to peace in South Sudan.

Khartoum hosted the current round of negotiations under the auspices of Bashir on the mandate of IGAD summit held earlier in June.

Earlier, the Opposition Alliance had accused the Sudanese security services of intimidating some opposition representatives in Khartoum and ordering them to sign the governance agreement on behalf of their groups.

"Sudan Security personnel has resorted to extreme intimidation and arm-twisting coercing SSOA members to sign on behalf of their constituent parties," the group in a statement released on Saturday evening.

On 3 August, the Alliance rejected the agreement on outstanding issues on governance chapter of the 2015 peace deal voicing strong reservations about power-sharing at the state level and the suggested referendum if the parties fail to reach compromise on this respect during the transitional period.

"SSOA would like to alert the IGAD mediation, African Union, Troika, the UN, and the world that such mediation of peace by the Sudan will not provide a genuine sustainable peace in South Sudan," said the statement.

The Alliance lodged an official complaint against Sudan mediation and its security personnel interference and intimidation.

Earlier, Sudan’s Foreign Minister Al-Dirdiri Mohamed Ahmed said the non-signatory groups would continue the discussions on the pending issues with the Kenyan mediation which will host the talks from Monday onward.

First Vice President Taban Deng Gai agreed to give up his post in order to achieve peace in his country. In a statement released in Juba by Taban’s office spokesperson, Angel Machar, the First VP announced that he waived the position during a joint meeting with President Kiir and Sudan’s Foreign Minister in Juba last Friday.

Under the initial peace deal, Kiir will continue to serve as president and Machar will be reinstated as the first vice president.

South Sudan attained independence from Sudan in 2011 but the country descended into a civil war two years later between Kiir and Machar.

The war has caused one of the largest humanitarian crises in the continent, according to the UN.

About 2 million South Sudanese have become refugees in neighboring countries, and more than 10,000 people killed from 2013 to 2015 alone. A previously signed agreement in August 2015 failed to maintain peace.



US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
TT

US Slaps Sanctions on Sudan’s RSF Commanders over El-Fasher Killings

FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)
FILE - A Sudanese child, who fled el-Fasher city with family after Sudan's RSF attacked the western Darfur region, receives treatment at a camp in Tawila, Sudan, Nov. 2, 2025. (AP Photo/Mohammed Abaker, File)

The United States announced sanctions on Thursday on three Sudanese Rapid Support Forces (RSF) commanders over their roles in the "horrific campaign" of the siege and capture of El-Fasher.

The US Treasury said the RSF carried out "ethnic killings, torture, starvation, and sexual violence" in the operation.

Earlier Thursday, the UN's independent fact-finding mission on Sudan said the siege and seizure of the city in Darfur bore "the hallmarks of genocide."

Its investigation concluded that the seizure last October had inflicted "three days of absolute horror," and called for those responsible to be brought to justice.

"The United States calls on the Rapid Support Forces to commit to a humanitarian ceasefire immediately," US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a statement.

"We will not tolerate this ongoing campaign of terror and senseless killing in Sudan."

The Treasury noted that the three sanctioned individuals were part of the RSF's 18-month siege of and eventual capture of El-Fasher.

They are RSF Brigadier General Elfateh Abdullah Idris Adam, Major General Gedo Hamdan Ahmed Mohamed and field commander Tijani Ibrahim Moussa Mohamed.

Bessent warned that Sudan's civil war risks further destabilizing the region, "creating conditions for terrorist groups to grow and threaten the safety and interests of the United States."

The UN probe into the takeover of El-Fasher -- after the 18-month siege -- concluded that thousands of people, particularly from the Zaghawa ethnic group, "were killed, raped or disappeared."


Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
TT

Israel's Netanyahu Says No Reconstruction of Gaza before Demilitarization

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - File Photo/AFP

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday there would be no reconstruction of war-shattered Gaza before the disarmament of Hamas, as the "Board of Peace" convened for its inaugural meeting in Washington.

Around two dozen world leaders and senior officials met for the first meeting of the board, which was set up after the United States, Qatar and Egypt negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of war in the Gaza Strip.

"We agreed with our ally the US there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said during a televised speech at a military ceremony on Thursday, AFP reported.

The meeting in Washington will also look at how to launch the International Stabilization Force (ISF) that will ensure security in Gaza.

One of the most sensitive issues before the board is the future of the Islamist movement Hamas, which fought the war with Israel and still exerts influence in the territory.

Disarmament of the group is a central Israeli demand and a key point in negotiations over the ceasefire's next stage.

US officials including Steve Witkoff, Trump's friend and roving negotiator, have insisted that solid progress is being made and that Hamas is feeling pressure to give up weapons.

Israel has suggested sweeping restrictions including seizing small personal rifles from Hamas.

It remains unclear whether, or how, the Palestinian technocratic committee formed to handle day-to-day governance of Gaza will address the issue of demilitarization.

The 15-member National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG) will operate under the supervision of the "Board of Peace", and its head, Ali Shaath, is attending the meeting in Washington on Thursday.


Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
TT

Trump Tells First Meeting of Board of Peace that $7 billion Raised for Gaza

US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP
US President Donald Trump speaking in Washington - AFP

US President Donald Trump told the first meeting of his Board of Peace on Thursday that $7 billion has been contributed to a Gaza reconstruction fund that aims to rebuild the enclave once Hamas disarms, an objective that is far from becoming a reality.

The disarmament of Hamas militants and accompanying withdrawal of Israeli troops, the size of the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-battered populace of Gaza are among the major questions likely to test the effectiveness of the board in the weeks and months ahead.

In a flurry of announcements at the end of a long, winding speech, Trump said the United States will make a contribution of $10 billion to the Board of Peace. He said contributing nations had raised $7 billion as an initial down payment for Gaza reconstruction.

Trump first proposed the board last September when he announced his plan to end Israel's war in Gaza. He later made clear the board's remit would be expanded beyond Gaza to tackle other conflicts worldwide.

Trump also said FIFA will raise $75 million for soccer-related projects in Gaza and that the United Nations will chip in $2 billion for humanitarian assistance.

TRUMP SAYS ANY IRAN DEAL MUST BE MEANINGFUL, PROSPECTS SHOULD BE CLEAR IN 10 DAYS

The Board of Peace includes Israel but not Palestinian representatives and Trump's suggestion that the Board could eventually address challenges beyond Gaza has stirred anxiety that it could undermine the UN's role as the main platform for global diplomacy and conflict resolution.

"We're going to strengthen the United Nations," Trump said, trying to assuage his critics. "It's really very important."

The meeting came as Trump threatens war against Iran and has embarked on a massive military buildup in the region in case Tehran refuses to give up its nuclear program.

Trump said he should know in 10 days whether a deal is possible. "We have to have a meaningful deal," he said.

The event had the feel of a Trump campaign rally, with music blaring from his eclectic playlist from Elvis Presley to the Beach Boys. Red Trump hats were given to participants.

Senior US officials said Trump will also announce that several nations are planning to send thousands of troops to participate in an International Stabilization Force that will help keep the peace in Gaza when it eventually deploys.

Hamas, fearful of Israeli reprisals, has been reluctant to hand over weaponry as part of Trump's 20-point Gaza plan that brought about a fragile ceasefire last October in the two-year Gaza war.

Trump said he hoped use of force to disarm Hamas would not be necessary. He said Hamas had promised to disarm and it "looks like they're going to be doing that, but we'll have to find out."