South Sudan Factions Sign Peace Deal

South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (R) talks to Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir after signing a cease fire and power sharing agreement with South Sudanese rebel leader Riek Machar in Khartoum, Sudan August 5, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah
South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (R) talks to Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir after signing a cease fire and power sharing agreement with South Sudanese rebel leader Riek Machar in Khartoum, Sudan August 5, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah
TT

South Sudan Factions Sign Peace Deal

South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (R) talks to Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir after signing a cease fire and power sharing agreement with South Sudanese rebel leader Riek Machar in Khartoum, Sudan August 5, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah
South Sudan's President Salva Kiir (R) talks to Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir after signing a cease fire and power sharing agreement with South Sudanese rebel leader Riek Machar in Khartoum, Sudan August 5, 2018. REUTERS/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah

The government and rebels in South Sudan signed on Sunday a final power-sharing deal, aimed at ending a civil war that has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced millions in the country.

President Salva Kiir and his rival Riek Machar, head of opposition, signed the deal in Sudan in the presence of Sudan’s President Omar al-Bashir and head of Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD).

The signing process was postponed three times since Sunday’s noon because of disagreements between South Sudanese parties over a number of outstanding issues on power-sharing and governance, a source close to the talks told Asharq al-Awsat.

The source added that the group of former detainees, members of the political bureau of the ruling party, and South Sudan Opposition Alliance (SSOA) argued the issue of their participation in the governance, noting that IGAD intervened to solve the issue.

Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni was also present and played a role in bringing closer the views, according to the source. He added that heavy pressure has been placed on the parties to ensure the deal eventually gets signed.

In addition to Bashir and Museveni, the signing ceremony was also attended by Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta, whose country will host the third phase of the negotiations on the remaining issues and implementation mechanisms of the convention.

Djibouti President Ismail Omar Guelleh, Somali Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khaire and Ethiopian Deputy Prime Minister Demeke Mekonnen also attended the ceremony.

Leaders and prime ministers of IGAD signed the agreement offering their support to the parties and pledged to commit to peace in South Sudan.

Khartoum hosted the current round of negotiations under the auspices of Bashir on the mandate of IGAD summit held earlier in June.

Earlier, the Opposition Alliance had accused the Sudanese security services of intimidating some opposition representatives in Khartoum and ordering them to sign the governance agreement on behalf of their groups.

"Sudan Security personnel has resorted to extreme intimidation and arm-twisting coercing SSOA members to sign on behalf of their constituent parties," the group in a statement released on Saturday evening.

On 3 August, the Alliance rejected the agreement on outstanding issues on governance chapter of the 2015 peace deal voicing strong reservations about power-sharing at the state level and the suggested referendum if the parties fail to reach compromise on this respect during the transitional period.

"SSOA would like to alert the IGAD mediation, African Union, Troika, the UN, and the world that such mediation of peace by the Sudan will not provide a genuine sustainable peace in South Sudan," said the statement.

The Alliance lodged an official complaint against Sudan mediation and its security personnel interference and intimidation.

Earlier, Sudan’s Foreign Minister Al-Dirdiri Mohamed Ahmed said the non-signatory groups would continue the discussions on the pending issues with the Kenyan mediation which will host the talks from Monday onward.

First Vice President Taban Deng Gai agreed to give up his post in order to achieve peace in his country. In a statement released in Juba by Taban’s office spokesperson, Angel Machar, the First VP announced that he waived the position during a joint meeting with President Kiir and Sudan’s Foreign Minister in Juba last Friday.

Under the initial peace deal, Kiir will continue to serve as president and Machar will be reinstated as the first vice president.

South Sudan attained independence from Sudan in 2011 but the country descended into a civil war two years later between Kiir and Machar.

The war has caused one of the largest humanitarian crises in the continent, according to the UN.

About 2 million South Sudanese have become refugees in neighboring countries, and more than 10,000 people killed from 2013 to 2015 alone. A previously signed agreement in August 2015 failed to maintain peace.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.