Egypt: Police Arrest Cell Responsible for Failed Mostorod Church Bombing

Members of the Egyptian security forces form a perimeter for investigators gathered around the body of a suicide bomber, following the failed attack in Mostorod. (AFP)
Members of the Egyptian security forces form a perimeter for investigators gathered around the body of a suicide bomber, following the failed attack in Mostorod. (AFP)
TT

Egypt: Police Arrest Cell Responsible for Failed Mostorod Church Bombing

Members of the Egyptian security forces form a perimeter for investigators gathered around the body of a suicide bomber, following the failed attack in Mostorod. (AFP)
Members of the Egyptian security forces form a perimeter for investigators gathered around the body of a suicide bomber, following the failed attack in Mostorod. (AFP)

Egypt’s Interior Ministry announced that six people, including two women, have been arrested for formed a "terrorist cell" that planned the failed suicide bombing attack at the Church of the Virgin Mary in Mostorod, north of Cairo, on Saturday.

Dozens of Copts survived the attempted bombing that targeted worshipers gathered to celebrate the annual Assumption of the Virgin Mary.

The Ministry said it identified the terrorist cell associated with the suicide attacker, Omar Mohammed Mustafa, and its members have been apprehended.

Security services released the names and photographs of the members of the group who were indicted. One of the women, Radwa, 42, is a key member in promoting extremist ideas and providing financial support to terrorist elements.

In related news, Egyptian security forces killed 12 suspected terrorists in raids on their hideouts in al-Arish, North Sinai.

Security sources told the state news agency that the forces came under fire when they raided a compound where the suspected militants were hiding, killing them in the shootout. The authorities were trying to verify their identities.

North Sinai has been witnessing an extensive security operation, known as Comprehensive Sinai 2018, launched by the army and police since February to purge the province of takfiris and criminal elements.

On Sunday, a government committee conducted an inspection tour to displaced citizens of North Sinai, who fled their residences due to the war on ISIS.

North Sinai Governor, Major General Abdel Fattah Harhour said that the needs of those transferred from Sheikh Zuwaid and Rafah will be provided in coordination with provincial authorities.

He stated that the committee met with residents from these two areas in order to inquire about their various needs and problems. They have been relocated to Ismailia, Beheira, Sharqia and Monufia.

Harhour pointed out that residential units in Arish had been allocated to those who moved from Sheikh Zuwaid and Rafah. He added that government will give 1,400 units of social housing units in Arish for free with a monthly payment of LE100 per month for electricity, water and various services.

Social Solidarity in North Sinai announced it will increase the amount of monthly allowances for each family from LE800 pounds to LE1,000 as of last July.

Director of Social Solidarity Directorate in North Sinai, Mounir Abo al-Kheir told Asharq Al-Awsat that the money will be disbursed from the North Sinai Relief Fund, which provides subsidies and assistance to families of martyrs, the injured and citizens, who suffered due to the war on terrorism in their region.

The Fund was established in 2016 of a budget amounting to LE107 million pounds from the Ministry of Social Solidarity, the Ministry of Finance and Long live Egypt Fund.

Displaced citizens were relieved with the new measures. Suleiman Eid Swarka, one of the displaced from Sheikh Zuwaid, said that his demands from the committee can be summed up with the following: monthly subsidies and aid, as well as providing alternative housing and enrolling his children in schools.

An official source in the committee admitted they were surprised by the number of the problems people are facing, including the need for "service facilities in areas where they are gathered, such as roads and schools.” He noted that a major problem is the need for monthly subsidies and free treatments.

The committee visited more than 40 communities, revealed the source, adding that it will continue its tour.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.