Yemen: $70 a Month for Houthi Recruits

Child soldiers with Houthi fighters hold weapons during a demonstration in Sanaa on March 13, 2015. (File Photo: Reuters)
Child soldiers with Houthi fighters hold weapons during a demonstration in Sanaa on March 13, 2015. (File Photo: Reuters)
TT

Yemen: $70 a Month for Houthi Recruits

Child soldiers with Houthi fighters hold weapons during a demonstration in Sanaa on March 13, 2015. (File Photo: Reuters)
Child soldiers with Houthi fighters hold weapons during a demonstration in Sanaa on March 13, 2015. (File Photo: Reuters)

Houthi militias are resorting to all possible means to recruit militants, whether young or old, for a mere $70 a month to remain engaged in their sectarian war that glorifies their leader.

There are dozens of heart breaking stories told by taxi drivers or people in public places describing the insane Houthi rule that contradicts ethics and traditions of the Yemeni society.

Asharq Al-Awsat spoke to a group of residents, who all preferred to remain anonymous, in several areas of Yemen about the situation and Houthi rule.

In Hajjah governorate, Mohammed H., a 42-year-old taxi driver, indicated that almost every family in the city has lost a member or two while fighting for the Houthis.

When asked about the number of deceased, Mohammed stated that he can’t give the toll, but assured that at least seven people have been killed from each of the villages of Ezlat Bani Moheb in Hajjah.

"The group exploited the unemployment rate among young people and initially pushed them to enroll in its sectarian teachings, hiding them in unknown places for periods ranging from one to two weeks," he said, adding that they are brainwashed.

Mohammed preferred to flee from his region to Sanaa, fearing that his eldest son would be recruited. He explained that he won’t bare seeing his son in a body bag, and that is why he found him a job in a grocery store in one of Sanaa’s suburbs.

In al-Shahl district, Hajjah province, the death toll is much higher, according to Salim Sh.

Since the Houthi group launched its war, several citizens of Shahl were killed.

Salim's brother was killed in the Midi front two years ago, followed by his other brother, just a month after joining a camp in Abs region. His third brother is alive, but Salim says he could face the same fate at any moment.

Salim indicates that his third brother refused to obey his mother's wishes and insisted on joining the group. He explains how he was given sectarian lessons after being recruited by the group.

Since the beginning of the coup, Shahl district has established three new grave yards to fit the 2,000 people killed during the clashes, according to Salim.

In Manakha, west of Sanaa, one of the region's dignitaries told Asharq al-Awsat that more than 5,000 people have fallen in the ranks of the group since the beginning of the coup.

Mohammed N, a retired judge, believes that illiteracy, poverty, and unemployment, are the main reasons that allowed the Houthi group to control the minds of many young men and adolescents.

Mohammed confirms that the group pays about 30,000 Yemeni riyals to fighters in its ranks, which is less than 70 dollars. It also pays the same amount to the family of the deceased, through its affiliated "Martyrs’ Foundation".

Many of those involved in the group have dropped out in shock or after discovering the illicit gains of Houthi leaders or their real motives.

S.W. is one of the fighters who left the group. He withdrew from Nahm front and remained home after that for three months, fearing the group’s Preventive Security Forces would arrest him and force him to hand over his weapon.

Earlier this year, the Houthi group received more than 10,000 school graduates in Sanaa and other provinces. The group deluded the young men that it will enroll them in the military and security faculties under its jurisdiction, according to security and military sources. However, the insurgents only granted the graduates three months before pushing them to the front lines, asserted the sources.

There are different recruitment stories that have one thing in common, a tragic ending.



Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.