Patrick Roberts Reaping Rewards of Girona’s Complex City Connection

 Patrick Roberts makes his Girona debut as a substitute against Valladolid. He is the only English player currently in a La Liga squad. Photograph: Bagu Blanco/Rex/Shutterstock
Patrick Roberts makes his Girona debut as a substitute against Valladolid. He is the only English player currently in a La Liga squad. Photograph: Bagu Blanco/Rex/Shutterstock
TT

Patrick Roberts Reaping Rewards of Girona’s Complex City Connection

 Patrick Roberts makes his Girona debut as a substitute against Valladolid. He is the only English player currently in a La Liga squad. Photograph: Bagu Blanco/Rex/Shutterstock
Patrick Roberts makes his Girona debut as a substitute against Valladolid. He is the only English player currently in a La Liga squad. Photograph: Bagu Blanco/Rex/Shutterstock

Patrick Roberts did not have to wait long. Announced as Girona’s first brand new summer signing in a short statement late last Thursday afternoon, by the following evening he had made his debut. He had not even been presented yet but there he was on the Montilivi pitch, brought on for the last 10 minutes of the opening night in Spain, a footballer most fans there still knew little about.

Three days later the 21-year-old was formally introduced, on loan from Manchester City. “Games like [Real Madrid and Barcelona] are why I came,” he said. He will not have to wait long for that either: on Sunday Madrid visit his new home.

Roberts said he watched the Spanish league as a child with his brother and last season he watched Girona finish their first campaign in primera on the verge of clinching an extraordinary European place, starting with a draw against Atlético and defeating Madrid along the way. That he tuned in was natural enough: Montilivi was always a possible destination, more so than is initially apparent.

“We watched him a lot last year,” said the sporting director, Quique Carcel, “although it’s true that maybe he wouldn’t have fitted last season’s system quite so well.”

This term they hope he will. Pablo Machín has departed as coach for Sevilla and under Eusebio Sacristán, who spoke to Roberts on the phone before the deal was completed, wing-backs have been replaced with wingers, moving from 3-5-2 to 4-3-3 or 4-4-2. “Patrick allows us to play outside more; he has the ability to go past people there,” Carcel said.

Manchester City signed Roberts from Fulham in July 2015; his only league appearance came as a substitute against Spurs. In two and a half years on loan at Celtic, he scored 18 times and provided 26 assists.

Girona knew that and more. Carcel speaks to the City sporting director, Txiki Begiristain, on a daily; City’s younger players are a particular focus of attention but they are only one of them basis. A year ago, Girona were effectively bought by Manchester City. The Premier League club’s parent company bought 44.3% of the club while another 44.3% was purchased by the Girona Football Group, owned by Pere Guardiola. An agent who represents Luis Suárez and Andrés Iniesta, he is also the brother of City’s manager, Pep.

Although the figure was not disclosed, the buyout is understood to have been less than €10m. In part, that is because the deal had been agreed well before, set up a year in advance when Girona were in the second division. The relationship goes back to 2015 when Guardiola oversaw the sale of the club to a French media group, TVSE.

Exactly who was behind TVSE was not clear but increasingly City were behind Girona. Collaboration was extensive, with expertise exchanged and players too. The Spanish club’s players visited the Etihad Campus, where well before the purchase was completed last August, staff referred to Girona as “ours”. Last summer, before the deal had gone through, City played a friendly at Montilivi and since then staff from Girona across a number of departments – accounting, marketing, communication – travel to England every few weeks.

Then there are the players. Florian Lejeune, now at Newcastle, was bought from Girona by City and loaned straight back in 2015-16. The centre-back played 38 league games as they reached the play-offs for the third time in four years but missed out on promotion. Roberts’ signing means the number of players Girona have had on loan from City has reached double figures. This was an opportunity that Roberts knew might open up. “I spoke to City and it was the right option,” he said.

Yet the impact the loan players had was quite limited. The full-back Pablo Maffeo started 32 times in the league but the other four City loanees were rarely in the team. Aleix García started seven times, Larry Kayode twice and Douglas Luiz once. Marlos Moreno did not start in the league. Girona would have liked to sign Maffeo on a permanent deal this summer but he was sold to Stuttgart. Moreno has been loaned to Flamengo, Kayode to Shakhtar. Douglas was denied a work permit to play for City this season and is set to go on loan again. Only Aleix García has returned, with Roberts now joining him.

Communication is fluid but that does not always mean the process is fast. In part because the relationship is close, and perhaps in part because City are owners not partners; Girona let City evaluate all the options before making a decision. Usually Girona request players, although occasionally City may propose a loan – with Douglas, that model did not really work – but shared ownership does not ensure a positive response. Girona’s requests are not always met – they would have liked to loan City academy product Brahim Díaz – while City’s desire for players to get minutes is not guaranteed either.

The opportunity, though, is there. And for Roberts, the only Englishman in La Liga, it is a hugely attractive one. “I thought it was a great idea,” he said. “I just want to play as much as I can and help the team as best I can.” He had to wait this summer but when it happened, it happened fast: a debut before he was presented and next up, Real Madrid – only 10 days after arriving at Montilivi.

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.