Aid Groups Warn of Humanitarian Catastrophe Should Syrian Regime Attack Idlib

Internally displaced boys run outside a tent in Idlib province, Syria July 30, 2018. (Reuters)
Internally displaced boys run outside a tent in Idlib province, Syria July 30, 2018. (Reuters)
TT

Aid Groups Warn of Humanitarian Catastrophe Should Syrian Regime Attack Idlib

Internally displaced boys run outside a tent in Idlib province, Syria July 30, 2018. (Reuters)
Internally displaced boys run outside a tent in Idlib province, Syria July 30, 2018. (Reuters)

The United Nations warned on Friday that Syria’s Idlib could be faced with a humanitarian calamity not yet seen in the country’s seven-year war should the regime launch an offensive on the northwestern province.

"A worst-case scenario in Idlib will overwhelm capacities and has the potential to create a humanitarian emergency at a scale not yet seen through this crisis," John Ging, who heads operations and advocacy for the UN's humanitarian coordination office told the Security Council this week.

Its hospitals are battered, residents heavily dependent on aid and escape routes to neighboring Turkey sealed.

A regime offensive could overwhelm already struggling health facilities, cut off food and medical supplies to desperate civilians, and prompt massive levels of displacement, the United Nations has warned.

UN chief Antonio Guterres said on Wednesday he was "deeply concerned about the growing risks of a humanitarian catastrophe in the event of a full-scale military operation in Idlib".

Moscow and Ankara are in talks to try to thrash out a solution that would spare the three million people living in opposition territory.

They include tens of thousands of opposition factions and civilians evacuated to Idlib from other areas recaptured by the regime.

Since Syria's conflict erupted in 2011, more than 350,000 people have been killed, more than 11 million have fled their homes and medical infrastructure has been systematically targeted.

In the first six months of this year, there were 38 attacks on medical infrastructure in the province, most of them blamed on the regime or its Russian ally, according to OCHA.

The World Health Organization warned that less than half of Idlib's health facilities were still functioning "across areas that may soon witness increased violence."

"The remaining facilities are neither properly equipped nor prepared for a massive influx of patients," said Pawel Krzysiek, spokesman for the International Committee of the Red Cross in Syria.

"Any offensive will make an already precarious situation even worse," he told AFP.

In the event of a chemical attack on the densely populated province, hospitals will likely struggle to cope.

Western powers have warned the regime could use toxic substances against the civilian population as it seeks to recapture Idlib.

Earlier this year, the UN began sharing the GPS coordinates of health facilities with Russia and the United States in a bid to protect them but four have been struck since.

The UN and humanitarian groups are also deeply worried about the food, medicine and other aid they truck in through the Bab al-Hawa and Bab al-Salam crossings to some two million people in need in Idlib and adjacent areas.

"Cross-border operations provided a lifeline for civilians in regard to food supplies and other daily life products needed," said Krzysiek. "If border crossings with Turkey are to shut down, hundreds of thousands of people will be affected."

Aid operations could also be disrupted if key staff are caught up in the offensive, said OCHA's spokeswoman in Damascus, Linda Tom.

"The potential displacement of humanitarian staff would further contribute to gaps in the response," she told AFP.

In addition, more than a million Syrian children are at risk in the event of a regime assault, said the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) on Friday.

Manuel Fontaine, UNICEF director of emergency programs, said that the agency has drawn up contingency plans including providing clean water and nutritional supplies to some of the estimated 450,000 to 700,000 people who could flee an attack.

“It’s more than one million kids... When you hear the kind of military rhetoric about an offensive and all that, I think it’s important to remember that it’s not just against a group of armed men,” Fontaine told Reuters in Geneva.

“It’s actually a very large proportion of women and children who have no stake in it, and elderly men and others,” he said.

Many families in Idlib have been uprooted multiple times, evacuated as front lines shift, Fontaine said.

“There’s some children who have been displaced seven times already, going from one place to the other. It means that their coping mechanisms, their resilience is very drained at the moment so they are particularly vulnerable. That’s a major concern obviously.”



Lawyers in Sanaa Under Houthi Repression

Part of previous consultative meetings for Yemeni lawyers in Sanaa (Facebook)
Part of previous consultative meetings for Yemeni lawyers in Sanaa (Facebook)
TT

Lawyers in Sanaa Under Houthi Repression

Part of previous consultative meetings for Yemeni lawyers in Sanaa (Facebook)
Part of previous consultative meetings for Yemeni lawyers in Sanaa (Facebook)

In areas controlled by the Houthi group in Yemen, there is an increasing number of violations targeting lawyers, raising widespread concerns about the future of justice and the rule of law.

Recent reports from local human rights organizations have revealed a recurring pattern of systematic restrictions on the practice of law profession, including arbitrary arrests, prolonged detentions, and direct threats.

The legal environment in Sanaa and other Houthi-controlled cities no longer provides professional environment for lawyers who themselves are now subject to questioning or targeted for defending their clients, especially in cases of a political or human rights nature.

Observers believe that this reality not only affects lawyers but also threatens the foundation of the judicial system as a whole.

Widespread Violations

The Daoo Yemen Rights and Development organization documented in its report more than 382 Houthi violations against lawyers in Sanaa from January 2023 to December 2025.

These included arbitrary arrests, prolonged detention without legal justification, threats of murder and assault, prevention from practicing the profession, and restrictions on the right to defense in cases of a political or human rights nature.

The report monitored more than 159 Houthi violations against lawyers during 2025, compared to 135 violations in 2023, and 88 violations in 2024, describing this targeting as a “systematic pattern” that affects human rights defenders and undermines what remains of the justice system and the rule of law.

Human Rights Calls

Calls from local and international human rights organizations have escalated for urgent steps to be taken to protect lawyers and ensure the independence of their profession, stressing the need to release lawyers detained for their professional activities and to stop all forms of intimidation or restrictions targeting them.

Human rights activists believe that protecting lawyers is a prerequisite for maintaining any future reform or political path because the absence of an independent defense means the absence of justice itself.


Australia Won’t Repatriate 34 Women and Children from Syria 

Australia's Prime Minister Anthony Albanese stands outside the entrance to his office at Parliament House in Canberra on February 11, 2026. (AFP)
Australia's Prime Minister Anthony Albanese stands outside the entrance to his office at Parliament House in Canberra on February 11, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Australia Won’t Repatriate 34 Women and Children from Syria 

Australia's Prime Minister Anthony Albanese stands outside the entrance to his office at Parliament House in Canberra on February 11, 2026. (AFP)
Australia's Prime Minister Anthony Albanese stands outside the entrance to his office at Parliament House in Canberra on February 11, 2026. (AFP)

The Australian government will not repatriate from Syria a group of 34 women and children with alleged ties to the ISIS group, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said Tuesday.

The women and children from 11 families were supposed to fly from the Syrian capital Damascus to Australia but Syrian authorities on Monday turned them back to Roj camp in northeast Syria because of procedural problems, officials said.

Only two groups of Australians have been repatriated with government help from Syrian camps since the fall of the ISIS group in 2019. Other Australians have also returned without government assistance.

Albanese would not comment on a report that the latest women and children had Australian passports.

“We’re providing absolutely no support and we are not repatriating people,” Albanese told Australian Broadcasting Corp. in Melbourne.

“We have no sympathy, frankly, for people who traveled overseas in order to participate in what was an attempt to establish a ‘caliphate’ to undermine, destroy, our way of life. And so, as my mother would say, ‘You make your bed, you lie in it,’” Albanese added.

Albanese noted that the child welfare-focused international charity Save the Children had failed to establish in Australia’s courts that the Australian government had a responsibility to repatriate citizens from Syrian camps.

After the federal court ruled in the government's favor in 2024, Save the Children Australia chief executive Mat Tinkler argued the government had a moral, if not legal, obligation to repatriate families.

Albanese said if the latest group made their way to Australia without government help, they could be charged.

It was an offense under Australian law to travel to the former ISIS stronghold of al-Raqqa province without a legitimate reason from 2014 to 2017. The maximum penalty was 10 years in prison.

“It’s unfortunate that children are impacted by this as well, but we are not providing any support. And if anyone does manage to find their way back to Australia, then they’ll face the full force of the law, if any laws have been broken,” Albanese added.

The last group of Australians to be repatriated from Syrian camps arrived in Sydney in October 2022.

They were four mothers, former partners of ISIS supporters, and 13 children.

Australian officials had assessed the group as the most vulnerable among 60 Australian women and children held in Roj camp, the government said at the time.

Eight offspring of two slain Australian ISIS fighters were repatriated from Syria in 2019 by the conservative government that preceded Albanese’s center-left Labor Party administration.

The issue of ISIS supporters resurfaced in Australia after the killings of 15 people at a Jewish festival at Bondi Beach on Dec. 14. The attackers were allegedly inspired by ISIS.


‘Jerusalem After the West Bank’: Israel Effectively Erases the Land of a Palestinian State

The Neve Yaakov settlement north of East Jerusalem, with the Israeli wall visible separating the Palestinian neighborhood of al-Ram in the West Bank (AFP). 
The Neve Yaakov settlement north of East Jerusalem, with the Israeli wall visible separating the Palestinian neighborhood of al-Ram in the West Bank (AFP). 
TT

‘Jerusalem After the West Bank’: Israel Effectively Erases the Land of a Palestinian State

The Neve Yaakov settlement north of East Jerusalem, with the Israeli wall visible separating the Palestinian neighborhood of al-Ram in the West Bank (AFP). 
The Neve Yaakov settlement north of East Jerusalem, with the Israeli wall visible separating the Palestinian neighborhood of al-Ram in the West Bank (AFP). 

A day after an unprecedented Israeli decision allowing the seizure of land in the occupied West Bank, Hebrew-language reports revealed a settlement plan that would, in effect, extend Jerusalem’s boundaries beyond the pre–1967 lines.

According to a report published by Yedioth Ahronoth, a housing plan being promoted in the settlement of Adam (also known as Geva Binyamin), in the Binyamin region, is formally presented as an expansion of the settlement bloc.

In practice, however, it would push Jerusalem’s municipal boundaries beyond the lines that existed before the June 1967 war. Such a move would amount to the imposition of de facto sovereignty over the city and a further expansion of Israel’s occupation of Jerusalem.

The Palestinian Authority (PA), backed by international resolutions, demands East Jerusalem as the capital of the hoped-for Palestinian state on the basis of the pre-1967 borders, within the framework of a two-state solution.

Limited Options for the Palestinian Authority

Israeli efforts to seize Palestinian land are effectively undermining the prospects of statehood, while the PA appears to have few tools at its disposal to confront the occupation.

The Palestinian presidency rejected the Israeli decisions, saying it does not recognize them and that they “do not change reality in any way.” It described the moves as a threat to security and stability and as an annulment of signed agreements.

A well-informed Palestinian source told Asharq Al-Awsat that the PA’s options are limited to “the steadfastness of Palestinians on their land and confronting this Israeli encroachment by relying on and adhering to international law and international legitimacy resolutions, turning to the UN Security Council, relevant institutions, international courts, and diplomatic channels.”

The source acknowledged that the PA’s tools are confined to resisting on the ground and rejecting Israeli decisions on the basis that they neither create nor negate rights and do not alter the status of the West Bank as occupied territory.

The PA is also betting on a global rejection of these measures and on pressure by influential states on Israel and the United States to halt them.

He added that the PA has instructed its apparatuses and ministries not to deal with any situation imposed by Israel in the West Bank and is relying on public awareness among Palestinians to avoid engaging with Israeli attempts to create new facts on the ground.

In parallel, the international community, the Security Council, and all legal and international bodies have been urged to confront these unilateral steps and take urgent action.

The PA is also awaiting the outcome of US President Donald Trump’s plan for Gaza, hoping it will lead to a political process toward statehood.

It remains committed to the plan’s provisions and pins hopes on potential changes in Israel’s upcoming elections that could unseat the current right-wing government in favor of a less extreme coalition.

Trump’s “Peace Council” is scheduled to hold its first meeting in Washington on Thursday, as the US president speaks of achieving what he calls “global peace.”

The Jerusalem Plan

The plan for Jerusalem calls for the construction of hundreds of housing units on land located some distance from the Adam settlement, currently without direct access from it, despite earlier discussions about building a bridge to link the two areas.

Construction in the designated zone would create geographic contiguity within Jerusalem and effectively expand the Neve Yaakov neighborhood. According to the plan, the housing units are intended for the Haredi (ultra-Orthodox) community.

Advancing the plan through the West Bank planning system has become significantly easier following sweeping changes introduced by Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich within the Civil Administration, including the creation of a new settlement authority.

Approval is expected to proceed rapidly, and under procedures adopted in recent years, the project could be implemented within a few years. Smotrich has reshaped the government’s approach to settlement construction by replacing lengthy bureaucratic processes with fast-track approval channels.

A “Misleading Cover”

The Jerusalem Governorate said Israel’s Ministry of Construction and Housing plans to build around 2,780 settlement units to expand the Adam settlement, describing this as a misleading cover aimed at extending Jerusalem’s municipal boundaries beyond the Green Line—the demarcation between territories occupied in 1948 and those occupied in 1967—as part of a calculated policy to impose new sovereign realities without an official declaration.

In a statement issued Monday, the governorate said promoting what is called the “expansion of Adam” is an attempt to obscure the truth.

The plan shows that the new settlement neighborhood would, in practice, be administered as part of Jerusalem’s municipality, despite being formally presented as part of the settlement, an open attempt to conceal annexation behind deceptive planning labels.

Israeli Opposition

Knesset member Gilad Kariv, from the opposition Democrats party warned that the planned step would exacerbate friction between Israelis and Palestinians and inflame unnecessary tensions.

He added that the plans contradict Israel’s international commitments, including those toward Trump, and reflect Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s complete submission to his extremist partners.

The Israeli peace group Peace Now sharply criticized the move, saying that for the first time since 1967, the government is clandestinely annexing land under the pretext of establishing a new settlement.

In a message to Trump, the group warned: “Netanyahu is deceiving you. You said you would not allow annexation, yet he is carrying it out before your eyes.”

The Jerusalem plan comes amid a series of controversial decisions by the Israeli government regarding the West Bank. On Sunday, the government approved the reopening of land registration in the West Bank for the first time since 1967, endorsing a proposal to register vast areas in the name of the state—effectively granting legal cover to the seizure of Palestinian land.