Yemen: Hundreds of Houthis Killed, Injured in Saada

A Houthi follower holds up his rifle in Sanaa May 8, 2015.REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah
A Houthi follower holds up his rifle in Sanaa May 8, 2015.REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah
TT

Yemen: Hundreds of Houthis Killed, Injured in Saada

A Houthi follower holds up his rifle in Sanaa May 8, 2015.REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah
A Houthi follower holds up his rifle in Sanaa May 8, 2015.REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah

Yemen’s National Army forces have made further advances at the Marran front of Saada governorate, the main stronghold of Houthi militias, as part of preparations for its full liberation.

A military source said that during the clashes, about 400 Houthis were killed and injured in Marran.

Military website “SeptemberNet” reported that in the past two days, militants have launched five attacks to retrieve strategic sites which they had lost during previous battles.

SeptemberNet quoted a military source in Orouba third brigade as saying that, backed by the Coalition to Support the Legitimacy, the brigade foiled all Houthi attacks in Razih, Marran, and Ghafra, as well as assaults from Dhamar and Bani Matar, leaving about 400 insurgents dead and injured.

Local sources in Harf Sufyan, in Amran district, confirmed that the Army’s artillery and Coalition fighters will continue to target any reinforcements sent to the coup militia in Marran.

SeptemberNet quoted the head of operations of Orouba 3rd brigade, Brigadier General Zayed al-Gharabi, as saying that his “forces carried out an attack on Houthi posts, causing heavy losses.”

Houthi leader Abdul-Malik al-Houthi urgently summoned a number of his leaders to Marran to find ways in defending the region, noted SeptemberNet.

Meanwhile, battles intensified in Taiz after militias bombed Haifan road linking Taiz with Aden.

The Houthis have significantly enhanced their positions on Haifan front in an attempt to regain bases liberated by the Army four days ago, according to a popular resistance source.

The source told Asharq al-Awsat that al-Abous area has in recent hours witnessed the most violent clashes. He confirmed that Houthis destroyed Daan bridge in al-Athir area of Haifan, a vital road linking Taiz with Aden through Haifan.

National armed forces retook control over new areas in the district of Maweah southeast of Taiz following fierce battles with the insurgents on Sunday.

The Army launched fierce attacks against Houthi positions in the south of Maweah, resulting in the liberation of al-Mahanah and al-Kharabah areas.

Several Houthi militiamen were killed and wounded during the battles, the media center of the National Army quoted a military source as saying.

Earlier, the Army liberated Hawamra and al-Hasham in Azlat-Ashur, bringing the total number of areas recaptured from the Houthis to four. The Army continued to advance in attempts for the full liberation of Maweah directorate.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.