Richarlison: ‘Neymar Is an Idol of Mine’

 Richarlison has had a mixed start at Goodison Park but promises his red card against Bournemouth was a blip. Photograph: anthonymcardle@me.com/Anthony McArdle via The Guardian Sport
Richarlison has had a mixed start at Goodison Park but promises his red card against Bournemouth was a blip. Photograph: [email protected]/Anthony McArdle via The Guardian Sport
TT

Richarlison: ‘Neymar Is an Idol of Mine’

 Richarlison has had a mixed start at Goodison Park but promises his red card against Bournemouth was a blip. Photograph: anthonymcardle@me.com/Anthony McArdle via The Guardian Sport
Richarlison has had a mixed start at Goodison Park but promises his red card against Bournemouth was a blip. Photograph: [email protected]/Anthony McArdle via The Guardian Sport

Richarlison was alone in a hotel room in Maryland following an unforgettable full debut for Brazil last week. The two goals the Everton forward scored in a 5-0 defeat of El Salvador were on repeat on his phone. In his possession was the shirt worn at FedExField by Neymar, whose haircuts the 21-year-old imitated as a boy and whose goals he tries to replicate as a man.

“God bless you golden boy,” was the message written on the No 10 jersey from Richarlison’s idol. So much to take in, yet his thoughts drifted from the mementos of a magical night towards a tough childhood in Nova Venécia, and the family and friends who doubted his ability to fulfil a dream.

“After the game I went to my room and reflected on things,” says Richarlison, who has also had quite the impact for Marco Silva’s team since his £40m summer move from Watford. “I watched the goals back and was thinking that three or four years ago I was living in my hometown and now I am playing for Brazil and scoring for the national team.

“I thought about the problems I had growing up, how I prioritised football over school but people were telling me I wouldn’t make it, that it wasn’t possible. The thing is I did make it thanks to my own will and determination and the help of some people I had around me in my hometown.

“Some of my friends said I wouldn’t have a future in football, as did some of my family, but I still believed in the potential I had. My mum would tell me I needed to get a proper job but for me I didn’t want to be anything other than a footballer. That led to some tension and frustration between us. It was something I dreamed of doing and I fought until the very end.”

The tension between Richarlison and his mum, Vera Lucia, is long gone and his family – who were unable to attend his Seleção debut in the United States because of passport issues – plan to be out in force for Brazil’s next international on home soil. On Friday Richarlison was called up for October’s friendlies against Saudi Arabia and Argentina.

“It wasn’t just my mum but other people as well,” he adds of the doubters. “My dad [Antonio Marcus] was the one who registered me in my first school and believed in me more than anyone. I think my dad is the proudest of anyone that I made my debut for Brazil. He and my uncle called me up before the game and said I would score two goals. It was a dream come true and the first goal I scored for Brazil will live with me forever.”

Another lasting impression was made by Neymar, who took Richarlison under his wing during his first international call-up and copied the winger’s “pigeon dance” celebration against El Salvador. For Richarlison, having styled himself on the Paris Saint-Germain forward on and off the pitch for several years, it was another sign for Richarlison that he had arrived.

“Neymar has been an idol of mine since childhood,” the former Fluminense forward admits. “I’ve always tried to mirror myself in the way he plays and I’ve also tried imitating some of his haircuts. When I was 12 or 13 I had the yellow mohican. I didn’t quite pull it off though because I didn’t have the right hair products.

“It would stay up for five minutes and then just flop down, so it didn’t really work. I told him about the haircut during lunchtime one day on international duty. The whole room fell about laughing – they thought it was hilarious.”

Richarlison evidently made a strong impression on Brazil’s captain, whose signed shirt from the El Salvador game will take pride of place at home. He says: “I kept my shirt and boots from that game and am going to get them framed. Neymar gave me his shirt as well. Mine will be framed alongside Neymar’s and I will keep them in a room in my house so people can see them when they come to visit.”

Neymar also features heavily in Richarlison’s pre-match routine of studying clips of famous compatriots. “Whenever we are en route to a game on the bus I am always watching the goals of Ronaldo, Adriano and Neymar to get some inspiration,” he explains. “Then when I am on the pitch I try to replicate what they do.

“I also watch some of my own goals now to see the good things I have done as a player. I have my goals for Brazil on my phone now and on the flight from New York to Liverpool I must have watched them about 50 times.”

Richarlison and his routine will return for Everton at Arsenal on Sunday having served a three-match suspension for a foolish dismissal at Bournemouth almost a month ago.

Silva’s team have not won a Premier League game without their three-goal leading scorer, who could replicate his No 9 role for Brazil at the Emirates Stadium, and the Everton manager received a personal apology from his key summer signing on the Monday after the red card.

“I apologised because it was a tough game and being sent off meant my teammates were left in the lurch,” Richarlison says. “What happened was my decision. I was sent off because of something I did on my own and I know how hard it is for a team to play with just 10 men. I went to see the manager and apologise because he is the boss. It was a strange feeling when I went into the dressing room because I’m not an aggressive player, it’s not what I’m like, and it won’t happen again.

“It has been really hard for me to not be playing. I was in the stadium watching the game on Sunday [the home defeat by West Ham United] and I was watching my team-mates give their all, wishing I could be alongside them doing the same. The red card was an upsetting event for me. I’ve learned from it and I will make sure it won’t happen again.”

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.