Nuno EspíRito Santo: 'We Cannot Build a Gameplan Based on a Draw … Always to Win'

 Nuno Espírito Santo, manager of Wolves, has picked the same starting XI in all eight Premier League games so far and will face Watford on Saturday afternoon. Photograph: Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images
Nuno Espírito Santo, manager of Wolves, has picked the same starting XI in all eight Premier League games so far and will face Watford on Saturday afternoon. Photograph: Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images
TT

Nuno EspíRito Santo: 'We Cannot Build a Gameplan Based on a Draw … Always to Win'

 Nuno Espírito Santo, manager of Wolves, has picked the same starting XI in all eight Premier League games so far and will face Watford on Saturday afternoon. Photograph: Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images
Nuno Espírito Santo, manager of Wolves, has picked the same starting XI in all eight Premier League games so far and will face Watford on Saturday afternoon. Photograph: Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images

Nuno Espírito Santo has an embarrassing story to get off his chest. The Wolverhampton Wanderers manager has been explaining why he tends to look the other way if one of his young players arrives at training in a flashy car or spends £500 on a pair of trainers. Instead of throwing his weight around, he prefers to act on instinct and take his cue from performances on the pitch. “It is not [my] money,” Nuno says. “What gives you the authority to decide?”

Anyway, he was young once and he has made mistakes. How about the time, for instance, when he bought a plot of land overlooking Santuário da Penha, a famous church in Guimarães? The Portuguese calls it an extravagance but he was going to build his dream home at the top of the highest hill in the city. All Nuno needed was permission from the council before pressing ahead with his plan. He looks back now and admits he probably should have asked the question before finalising the purchase.

“When I did, they said ‘no’,” he says. “Afterwards I went again and asked: ‘Can I build?’ And they said: ‘No, the area is protected.’ It comes up for application every 15 years when they allow some development. But they told me: ‘This area here? Forget about it. You cannot build there.’ I should have checked it out.

“But it was in 2002 and I was 27. It was perfect. We sometimes go and just sit there. The views are fantastic. But building? No, they don’t allow it. Because it’s over 200 metres they won’t allow it.”

Nuno is sitting with a group of reporters at Wolves’ training ground and he asks whether anyone fancies buying the land. He has his audience in the palm of his hand, mainly because sharing that anecdote has revealed a self-deprecating streak. It is believable when the former goalkeeper says he is strict but not overbearing.

He is professional and composed but he does not take himself too seriously. He is not the type to have informers tracking his players in Wolverhampton. “They have Instagram,” Nuno says. “They are so proud of showing themselves and the bullshit they are doing that you don’t have to chase them.”It is another witty line. Nuno has found happiness since arriving at Wolves in the summer of 2017 and helping them to steamroller the Championship last season. The former Porto, Rio Ave and Valencia manager insists he has no plans to leave Molineux – with the backing of the club’s Chinese owners, there is a belief that Wolves can challenge the Premier League elite – and he talks about his determination to build an identity that runs through the entire club.

Nuno, part of José Mourinho’s trophy-winning squad at Porto from 2002 to 2004, has an eye for group dynamics. He has created a culture where everyone greets each other in the morning. Perhaps it comes from his upbringing on the island of Príncipe. “I grew up with no shoes because my house was there and the beach was there,” he says. “There were no cars and we played. It was paradise.”

Wolves have set a Premier League record by playing the same starting XI in their first eight games, which is why Nuno paid tribute to the club’s medical staff after being named September’s manager of the month. “I hope I win it again,” he says. “That time it will be for the guys from the kitchen. Everybody is important. If you don’t have a kit-man then you are ruined.

“I give an example. Wolverhampton, January, a training session at 10am. It’s minus-five degrees. A player comes in a bad humour and it’s because the kit-man hasn’t given him his hat and gloves. We have a problem. You have to have a good support staff. If a player has had a bad night, the first person he will share his mood with is the physio. If you have someone in that role who is supportive, that’s the first message.”

What about the player who moans because of the weather? “It doesn’t happen,” Nuno says. “Because I have already talked to the kit-man. I say: ‘Whatever they want, if it makes sense give it to them.’ Instead of trying to solve things by punishments, we change the environment so the player gets educated. Another example. One player comes to training late, so you wait for him. Instead of fining him £1000, we say: ‘What happened in your life that made us have to wait for you to start working?’”

When the interview finishes, Nuno pulls out a couple of empty notepads and says he was hoping to sketch out a few tactical formations. For 75 minutes, though, the conversation has focused on his leadership qualities. Nuno loves talking about football but it is difficult not to feel that his views on life inform his attacking approach.

Some teams try to sit back after promotion to the Premier League. Yet Wolves have sparkled in their 3-4-3 system and occupy seventh place. They held Manchester United at Old Trafford last month and earned plaudits for refusing to be cowed when they drew 1-1 with Manchester City in August.

Most managers simply hope for the best against Pep Guardiola’s champions. Not Nuno, though. “We never play like that,” he says. “We will never play like that. It doesn’t make sense. How can you build a gameplan based on just drawing? You have a corner, you get one goal, you are losing, you lose your gameplan.

“The players look and say ‘now what?’

“What you have to become is really strong in what you do. That’s the point of building a team. You don’t know any other way – it would be absurd to do it any other way.”

It has been suggested that Rafael Benítez’s Newcastle United side have been very defensive against the big sides. “No comment at all,” Nuno says. “I am speaking about myself. We cannot build a gameplan built on a draw. Everything can change so fast. You have to prepare to win. How? Every last ball we can win. That’s the gameplan. Always to win.

“The way you analyse? How they build? What they like? They want to play on the outside, so let’s make them play on the inside. You take routines away from the other team. Your gameplan is to recover the ball here because you want to go there. We don’t do gameplans to draw.”

Nuno suggests that former footballers are more qualified to comment on tactics. But he also knows that some people are after attention. “Sometimes a polemic tweeter is more important than a normal view,” he says.

“You know how things move. What sells more, criticism or compliments? What do people like more? They enjoy blood. You? If you have to write ‘oh, they were very good’ or do you want to tear into them? You know what I mean.”

Does he enjoy blood? “No,” Nuno says. “I live in peace.”

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.