Hamas: Lieberman’s Resignation 'Political Victory' for Gaza

Palestinian demonstrators burn pictures of Israel's outgoing defence minister Avigdor Lieberman in Gaza on November 14, 2018 (AFP)
Palestinian demonstrators burn pictures of Israel's outgoing defence minister Avigdor Lieberman in Gaza on November 14, 2018 (AFP)
TT

Hamas: Lieberman’s Resignation 'Political Victory' for Gaza

Palestinian demonstrators burn pictures of Israel's outgoing defence minister Avigdor Lieberman in Gaza on November 14, 2018 (AFP)
Palestinian demonstrators burn pictures of Israel's outgoing defence minister Avigdor Lieberman in Gaza on November 14, 2018 (AFP)

Hamas movement described the resignation of Israel's defense minister Avigdor Lieberman as a "political victory for Gaza”, saying it is a recognition of defeat and failure to confront the Palestinian resistance.

“Lieberman's resignation is a recognition of defeat and incompetence in the face of the Palestinian resistance, a political victory for Gaza, which has succeeded in steadfastness to cause a political shake in the arena of occupation," Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said in a statement following the minister’s announcement.

Lieberman resigned on Tuesday in protest over the cease-fire reached with Gaza following two days of heavy fighting during which hundreds of rockets were launched on settlements in Gaza’s enclave and Israel launched dozens of air strikes on the Strip.

At a news conference in Jerusalem on Wednesday, the outgoing defense minister said the military response to the rocket fire had been "insufficient and inappropriate".

Lieberman denounced the cease-fire as "surrendering to terror" adding that that the government was making a serious mistake by accepting a ceasefire with Hamas.

"We are buying quiet for the short term at the price of serious damage to national security in the long term."

Lieberman's resignation left a resounding joy in Gaza and people took it to the streets with celebrations. Dozens gathered in front of the home of Hamas politburo chief Ismail Haniyeh, whom Lieberman had vowed to assassinate before his term ended.

Dozens of demonstrators chanted in support of the resistance and against Lieberman, and raised the slogans "Gaza toppled him” as they distributed sweets to passersby.

Palestinian factions welcomed Lieberman's resignation with Palestinian "Jihad" describing the sudden departure as a victory.

“Behold the political slaughter dealt to leaders of the occupation who aren’t capable of dealing with Gaza,” the organization’s spokesperson said in a statement.

A member of the Central Committee of the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP), Talal Abu Zarifa, told the local news agency “Safa” that Lieberman's resignation is an indication of his failure, since taking office, in keeping all the promises he made to the Israeli voters.

Member of the political bureau of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), Rabah Muhanna stated that this resignation confirms that the strategic resistance began to affect the internal situation in Israel.

The Palestinian celebration was met with anger in the Israeli street as hundreds of people marched at the entrance of Sderot over Israel’s agreement for a ceasefire with Hamas. Protesters blocked roads and burned tires, with some chanting, “Bibi go home,” using a nickname for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

According to Hadashot TV, some southern residents planned further demonstrations and road blockages in Tel Aviv on Wednesday to protest the truce.

Zionist Union leader Avi Gabbay supported the protesters, saying their anger was a “justified” response to the government “forsaking” them. He said the government had failed the south by “neglecting” the issue of Gaza since the 2014 war.

“This is not the time for another fragile truce,” he asserted, adding: “this is the time for a true diplomatic initiative in Gaza, that will lean on the recommendations of the security establishment.”

Many southern residents were unhappy with the decision, as one told Hadashot it’s better they suffer in shelters and they put an end to it once and for all.

“A month from today the same thing will happen…it doesn’t make sense that our lives are like this,” added the resident.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.