Yemen: Coalition Accuses Houthis of Violating International Laws

Boys walk in Saada, Yemen February 27, 2018. (File Photo: Reuters)
Boys walk in Saada, Yemen February 27, 2018. (File Photo: Reuters)
TT

Yemen: Coalition Accuses Houthis of Violating International Laws

Boys walk in Saada, Yemen February 27, 2018. (File Photo: Reuters)
Boys walk in Saada, Yemen February 27, 2018. (File Photo: Reuters)

The Arab Coalition to Support Legitimacy announced on Friday it will continue to provide permits that facilitate UN and relief organizations’ support and missions inside Yemen despite Houthis' attempts to obstruct the humanitarian work.

In a statement issued on Friday, the Coalition announced that 157 orders had been issued to secure the permits of humanitarian organizations inside Yemen within 72 hours. It explained that 125 permits were issued to UN organizations, including 24 for the Red Cross, 5 permits for Medecins Sand Frontieres (MSF), and 3 permits to King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSRelief).

The Coalition confirmed that Iran-backed Houthi militias are violating international laws by deliberately hindering the work of relief organizations.

Meanwhile, Yemeni National Army cut off Houthis’ supply lines into the city of Damt, Dhale province in the south, by tightening the siege on the militias from several directions towards the city.

In the past two days, around 40 militants, including top field commanders, were killed in the vicinity of the center of Baqim district, north-west of Saada province, north Yemen.

Commander of Ibb axis, Brigadier General Ahmad al-Bahash, revealed that National Army forces carried out a sudden attack on Damt and was able to besiege Houthi militants and cut their main supply line, according to the media center of the National Army.

Army forces liberated strategic areas northwest of the city, starting from the mountain range of Lahsoon al-Haqb till the mountains overlooking Damt towards Dar al-Hasan on the northwest of the city, adding that the army was able to liberate al-Hriwat and al-Qadi south of Damt.

Brigadier General Bahash indicated that Houthi militias were in panic as a result of the sudden operation carried out by the National Army, while battles were still fierce between the Army and the coup militias in the area.

In Baqem, northwest Saada Houthis’ stronghold, dozens of militants were killed and injured, including prominent leaders, during fierce clashes with Army forces backed by the Coalition.

Commander of 102 Special Forces Brigade, Brigadier Yasser al-Harthy announced that more than 40 Houthi militants were killed over the past 48 hours including: top commander Abu Yousef al-Salami, top commander Abu Adel al-Shawi, and leader of so-called Hussein Brigades, Abu Hussein al-Setteen, known associate of Houthis’ leader Abdul-Malik al-Houthi.

Harthy indicated that many militants fled the area after several top commanders were killed, reported Army Media Center.

He lauded the air force of the Arab Coalition, especially the Apache helicopters that bombed Houthis’ reinforcements and outposts inflicting heavy losses.

Brigadier Harithi urged the tribesmen in Saada and neighboring provinces not to involve their children in lost battles of Houthi militia. He also praised the great unity and support people of Saada are showing to the legitimacy forces, who seek to free the residents of the oppression and injustice of Houthi militias.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.