Israeli PM: El Al Airlines to Fly over Oman, Sudan

An El Al Airlines aircraft is seen at Ben Gurion International Airport near Tel Aviv July 14, 2015. (Reuters)
An El Al Airlines aircraft is seen at Ben Gurion International Airport near Tel Aviv July 14, 2015. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli PM: El Al Airlines to Fly over Oman, Sudan

An El Al Airlines aircraft is seen at Ben Gurion International Airport near Tel Aviv July 14, 2015. (Reuters)
An El Al Airlines aircraft is seen at Ben Gurion International Airport near Tel Aviv July 14, 2015. (Reuters)

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced on Monday that Oman has agreed to allow the Israeli civil aviation company El Al to overfly its airspace en route to Asia.

Netanyahu’s announcement came during a conference gathering Israeli ambassadors abroad, in which he spoke about “the prospects of the broad development of Israeli diplomacy” and focused in particular on relations with the Arab world.

In his lecture, Netanyahu responded to criticism by political opposition groups and Israeli research institutes, which accuse him of wasting a golden opportunity to establish peace relations with Arab countries. He stressed that Israel’s relations in the Arab world were witnessing an unprecedented revolution.

The premier said that during his visit to Oman last month, Sultan Qaboos agreed to overflights by El Al.

“At this time, we can overfly Egypt. We can overfly Chad; that has already been set. And to all appearances, we can also overfly this corner of Sudan; we hope we can fly over Saudi Arabia,” he noted.

Netanyahu emphasized that the changes in the Israeli diplomatic map were being achieved “thanks to the intelligence advantages of Israel.”

“We have prevented aircraft from falling, and we have thwarted dozens of massive operations against a number of countries in the world, thanks to our intelligence capabilities. No one has intelligence capabilities similar to those we have. Thanks to this information, we have also established relationships in the Arab world. We protect Europe in two aspects: first, when we thwart dozens of terrorist operations, and second, by preventing the collapse of the western Middle East due to Iran’s danger,” he affirmed.

Netanyahu went on to say: “We see a unity of interests with the Arab world, and this paves the way for new opportunities. The Arab leaders, whom I met, have been telling tell me that ‘it is time for one percent of us to abandon the commitment. We want to enjoy the fruits of progress and not miss normalizing relations with Israel because of the whims of Palestinians’.”

The Sudanese government did not comment on Netanyahu’s claims.

Earlier this month, Sudanese activists circulated maps of air traffic, confirming that El Al planes had crossed Sudanese airspace into South America.

Sudanese Minister of State at the foreign ministry Osama Faisal had said on April 4 that Khartoum’s position was” firm and would not budge” regionally, adding that his country bars its citizens from visiting Israel.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.