Michael Schumacher’s Son Progresses to Bring Hope in Tragic F1 Tale

 Damon Hill with his rival Michael Schumacher in March 1997: ‘Although I didn’t agree with his approach, I know the pressure he was under’. Photograph: Pascal Rondeau/Getty Images
Damon Hill with his rival Michael Schumacher in March 1997: ‘Although I didn’t agree with his approach, I know the pressure he was under’. Photograph: Pascal Rondeau/Getty Images
TT

Michael Schumacher’s Son Progresses to Bring Hope in Tragic F1 Tale

 Damon Hill with his rival Michael Schumacher in March 1997: ‘Although I didn’t agree with his approach, I know the pressure he was under’. Photograph: Pascal Rondeau/Getty Images
Damon Hill with his rival Michael Schumacher in March 1997: ‘Although I didn’t agree with his approach, I know the pressure he was under’. Photograph: Pascal Rondeau/Getty Images

A few months ago Damon Hill was waiting in a lounge at Heathrow airport, watching the departure board for news of his scheduled flight to Cologne. He had been invited to the opening of a museum dedicated to the career of Michael Schumacher, his old rival. The flight was delayed. And then delayed some more.

He was sitting with another invited guest. This was Ross Brawn, the engineer who masterminded all of Schumacher’s seven world titles: two with Benetton, five with Ferrari, hardly one of them without controversy. “We’ve never really brought up some of the things that went on and that might be interesting to know,” Hill said on the phone this week. “But as you get older, you look back and it all seems mad. It’s so intense, everyone wants to win, and some people cross the boundary. It’s a choice people make.”

Schumacher, the winner of 91 Formula One grands prix and seven world championships, will be 50 years old on Thursday. Last week was the fifth anniversary of his disappearance from public view as a result of a brain injury suffered in a low-speed fall while skiing with his son in France. The poignancy of a life risked at 200mph for so long being seemingly destroyed by so banal an accident was missed by no one, particularly his erstwhile rivals.

Tribal loyalties usually lay behind the conflicting opinions on the way Schumacher conducted his career. In Germany and to the worldwide legion of Ferrari fans he was close to being a deity. Those supporting his fiercest rivals, who included not just Hill but Ayrton Senna, Jacques Villeneuve and Fernando Alonso, were not so fond of the tactics he and his team occasionally employed. But they will have found their feelings inevitably modified in the light of the tragedy that befell Schumacher and his family on the Combe de Saulire above Méribel on 29 December 2013.

Hill’s initial sadness on hearing of the accident was complicated by an additional factor. He, too, has come to love skiing. When he heard that the accident had happened while Michael was on the slopes with his son, Mick, then aged 13, he felt a special sense of regret. “I would have loved to have gone skiing with my dad, you know?” he said on Monday. But his father, the double world champion Graham Hill, died in a plane crash in 1975, when his only son was 15.

Now, like Damon, young Mick Schumacher is following in his father’s wheeltracks. At 19 years old, after winning this year’s European Formula Three championship with eight victories from 30 starts, he is moving up in 2019 to Formula Two, just one rung away from the top level, in which his father made his debut at 22. That last leap, of course, usually turns out to be harder than all the earlier ones put together. And as yet no one knows whether Mick Schumacher has inherited the combination of qualities – great skill, endless appetite for hard work, ruthlessness – that drove his father to unprecedented success.

To begin with, the son of Schumacher chose to disguise his identity. His name appeared on the entry lists as Mick Betsch – his mother’s maiden name – or Mick Junior, which probably didn’t fool many people. But his career has been handled with discretion, particularly given the unusual degree of interest in his progress.

Discretion also characterises the way Corinna Schumacher and her husband’s manager, Sabine Kehm, have succeeded in drawing a veil of privacy around the family’s home in Switzerland, where special facilities were installed for Michael’s treatment and care. Kehm, a former newspaper journalist who became Michael’s personal press officer during his Ferrari years and took over as his manager in 2010, deserves some kind of award for the dignified way she has held the more intrusive elements of the media at bay. Now she manages Mick, too.

Today, everyone with any direct relationship to Michael Schumacher, past or present, chooses their words with extreme care when discussing his life since the accident. “To even contemplate it is frightening,” Hill says. “Whatever my feeling was about Michael and the way he went about his career became irrelevant. From a human point of view, it was so upsetting.”

In their racing days, particularly between 1994, when Schumacher won his first title by crashing into Hill in Adelaide, and 1996, when the Englishman finally triumphed at Suzuka, their duel seemed to be a double caricature of German arrogance and cunning on the one side and British diffidence and pluck on the other. Yet although Schumacher’s self-confidence made him seem invulnerable, occasionally Hill saw something else. “There was a different Michael,” he says, “but I didn’t know him. I got glimpses of a softer and more generous, likeable guy. But as a racer he was always hard.”

The flight to Cologne was finally cancelled altogether, and Hill missed the opening of the museum. “It was nice of them to invite me,” he said. “I was a bit surprised.” Some time later he made a private visit, during which he went to have a look at the nearby town of Kerpen, Michael’s birthplace, where his father ran a kart track.

“His legacy is huge,” Hill said. “He’s such a massive star in Germany, where everybody believed he could walk on water. Although I didn’t agree with his approach to sport, I know the pressure he was under. I was in the eye of the storm myself a little bit, when everybody wants to know about everything that happens in your life. Now his family have a lot to deal with. But we’re watching Mick getting on with it. So the story continues.”

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.