Sudan President Accuses ‘Infiltrators’ of Killing Protesters

Sudanese protesters chant slogans during an anti-government demonstration in Khartoum on January 6, 2019. (AFP Photo)
Sudanese protesters chant slogans during an anti-government demonstration in Khartoum on January 6, 2019. (AFP Photo)
TT

Sudan President Accuses ‘Infiltrators’ of Killing Protesters

Sudanese protesters chant slogans during an anti-government demonstration in Khartoum on January 6, 2019. (AFP Photo)
Sudanese protesters chant slogans during an anti-government demonstration in Khartoum on January 6, 2019. (AFP Photo)

Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir accused Sunday "infiltrators" of killing anti-government protesters in order to incite strife, denying that his forces were involved in any attacks.

During an annual gathering of Sufi sects at al-Kireida area, he vowed to respect the will of the people in the 2020 elections.

“We tell the youth that the country is your country and the future is your future. Next year’s elections are not far off and we will respect the people’s choice.”

“The youth went out to express themselves but sabotaging forces hid among them and created chaos,” Bashir added.

He said: “We have arrested rebels in Darfur who admitted to killing protesters. Investigations have proven that the death of protesters has been executed by infiltrators who want chaos.”

He admitted the country is going through an economic crisis, however, he blamed it on the “economic, media and diplomatic blockade, as well as war and rebellion.”

“The Sudanese people decide who rules them," he asserted, adding that this decision is made through the ballot boxes.

“We have a year until 2020. After a year, the Sudanese people will decide who will rule them.”

"We stand by the choice of the Sudanese people. We respect people's choice. We gave power to citizens to choose their...MPs and their government... through free elections,” he concluded.

Meanwhile, police used tear gas to prevent protesters from marching towards the parliament in Omdurman who were calling for the president and government’s resignation.

Shortly after the main demonstrations were dispersed, protesters staged smaller rallies in neighborhoods and alleys.

Before the protests began, police fired tear gas at people in the streets to prevent their gathering. Witnesses said the demonstrators ignored the police and organized a march chanting: "Freedom, Peace, Justice" and then dispersed to the demonstrations inside neighborhoods.

Police and security services heavily fired tear gas in Omdurman, detained dozens of demonstrators and took them to unknown destinations, while gunshots were heard in several areas, according to witnesses.

Near Bashir’s residence in the Kafouri district of Khartoum, demonstrators gathered outside the home of doctor Babeker Abdul Hamid, who was shot dead by police on Thursday. They have been blocking the road leading to his house for the past two days.

Students at the National Ribat University organized a protest, which the police dispersed amid unconfirmed reports about the suspension of the university's classes.

Doctors in several cities held protests, which began with a work strike, as teachers, lawyers and pharmacists continued their protests.

Meanwhile, the Sudanese Doctors Committee, linked to anti-government protests, apologized for incorrectly reporting that a child had been killed in Thursday’s demonstrations.

Authorities said that two people were killed in last week’s protests, but the organizers put the figure at three.

Since December 10, 26 people have been killed by security forces, according to official numbers, but Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch cited reliable sources and announced that the number reached 40, including children and doctors.

Opposition parties accuse “unregulated” brigades, affiliated with First Vice President Ali Osman Mohamed Taha, of carrying out widespread violations against demonstrators and using live ammunition. Taha had threatened the opposition with the brigades’ readiness to sacrifice lives to preserve the regime.

The Sudanese Professionals Association that is leading the protest movement called for new demonstrations throughout the week, and announced that the capital and Omdurman will witness night demonstrations on Tuesday, and that Thursday will witness marches across Sudan.

In addition, the Democratic Lawyers Alliance announced that all lawyers in Khartoum and the various states of Sudan will begin a two-day work strike on Monday in all of the country’s courts and government bodies.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.