Turkey: Over 15,000 Military Officers Suspended Since 2016 Failed Coup

Turkish Defense Ministry spokeswoman Lieutenant Commander Nadide Sebnem Aktop at the press conference (Defense Ministry)
Turkish Defense Ministry spokeswoman Lieutenant Commander Nadide Sebnem Aktop at the press conference (Defense Ministry)
TT

Turkey: Over 15,000 Military Officers Suspended Since 2016 Failed Coup

Turkish Defense Ministry spokeswoman Lieutenant Commander Nadide Sebnem Aktop at the press conference (Defense Ministry)
Turkish Defense Ministry spokeswoman Lieutenant Commander Nadide Sebnem Aktop at the press conference (Defense Ministry)

Turkish authorities have suspended 15,213 military personnel, including generals and officers of various ranks, since the failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016.

Following the abortive coup, which has been blamed by Ankara on an organization affiliated with Fathullah Gulen, the authorities have investigated 6,838 officers and military personnel, according to the recently-appointed Defense Ministry spokeswoman Lieutenant Commander Nadide Sebnem Aktop.

In the wake of the failed attempt to overthrow the government, the Turkish army witnessed the largest restructuring in its history and became directly subject to the president’s authority.

Ankara says these measures are part of a “purge” against followers of Gulen, a former ally of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP).

They broke their ties after corruption and bribery investigations carried out by the security services and the prosecution in late 2013. The cases involved several ministers, their sons, businessmen and senior banking officials close to Erdogan, who at the time was the country’s prime minister.

Gulen has denied the charges, and the West and international human rights groups have said that Erdogan has used the abortive coup as a pretext to quash dissent. 

As part of the campaign, authorities forced a state of emergency for two years until July 19 last year, replaced articles in the country’s anti-terrorism law, arrested 402,000 people, of whom around 80,000 remain in detention, and suspended over 175,000 employees, according to international rights reports.

In a related development, the Turkish prosecutor has issued an indictment against local employee of the US Consulate in Istanbul, Metin Tobuz, who was arrested in October 2017 on suspicion of links to Gulen’s organization.

Topuz’s 78-page indictment stated that he had very close contact with police officers suspected of playing a role in the coup attempt. The document listed Erdogan and former Prime Minister Binali Yildirim, among others, as plaintiffs.

Relations between Ankara and Washington have been strained over US support for Kurdish fighters in northern Syria, Turkey’s plan to buy a Russian missile defense system, S-400, and the US jailing of an executive at a Turkish state bank in an Iran sanctions-fleeing case.

Ankara has repeatedly demanded that the United States extradite Gulen, who has been in self-imposed exile since 1999.

Topuz, along with two other local consulate employees, remain in jail as does a Turkish-US national and former NASA scientist who faces terrorism charges. Washington wants them freed as Ankara demands the release of Mohammed Hakan Atilla. This has led to a months-long suspension of bilateral visa services.

The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights indicated that Turkey is holding more than 160,000 people and suspended even more public servants over alleged links to the attempted coup.

In other news, the Turkish Parliament rejected a proposal to investigate the murder of Armenian-Turkish journalist Hrant Dink.

Dink was assassinated in Istanbul on January 19, 2007 by teenage nationalist, Ogun Samast, near the Istanbul-based newspaper Agos.

Dink, whose family and friends celebrated the 12th anniversary of his murder on Saturday, was outspoken about Armenian issues and minority rights. He was prosecuted three times for violating Article 301 of the Turkish penal code, which makes it a crime to insult the Turkish nation or Turkish institutions. 

Turkish media reported on Sunday that parliament had rejected a proposal of Armenian MP Garo Paylan of the People’s Democratic Party to take up the case of Dink.

Samast was arrested on his way to Trabzon province and later said he didn’t regret his crime. In his testimony, Samast claimed he committed the assassination of Dink on his own after he read in the newspapers accusations against the journalist of insulting the Turkish identity.  



Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
TT

Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

Türkiye said on Thursday it opposed Greece's "unilateral activities" in energy fields south of Crete with a consortium led by US major Chevron as a violation of international law and good neighbourly relations.

Athens responded that its policies abide international law.

The Chevron-led consortium signed exclusive lease agreements on Monday to look for natural gas off southern Greece, expanding US presence in the eastern Mediterranean.

"We oppose this unlawful activity, which is being attempted in violation of the 2019 Memorandum of Understanding on Maritime Jurisdiction between Libya and our country," the Turkish Defense Ministry said at a press briefing.

It said the activity, while not directly impacting Türkiye's continental shelf, also violated Libya's maritime jurisdiction that was declared to the United Nations in May last year.

"We continue to provide the necessary support to the Libyan authorities to take action against these unilateral and unlawful activities by Greece," the ministry said.

A 2019 agreement signed by Türkiye and Libya set out maritime boundaries in the Mediterranean Sea. It was rejected by Greece as it ignored the presence of the Greek island of Crete between the coasts of Türkiye and Libya. The Chevron deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available for exploration and is the second in months involving a US energy major, as the European Union seeks to phase out supplies from Russia and the US seeks to replace them.

Asked about the Turkish objections later on Thursday, Greek government spokesman Pavlos Marinakis told a press briefing that Athens followed an "active policy" and "exercises its rights in accordance with international law and respects international law steadfastly - and I think no one questions that, period."

There was no immediate comment from Chevron.

Neighbors and NATO members Türkiye and Greece have been at odds over a range of issues for decades, primarily maritime boundaries and rights in the Aegean, an area widely believed to hold energy resources and with key implications for airspace and military activity.

A 2023 declaration on friendly relations prompted a thaw between the sides and leaders have voiced a desire to address remaining issues.


Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
TT

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)

UK police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The Thames Valley Police, an agency that covers areas west of London, including Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, said it was “assessing” reports that the former Prince Andrew sent trade reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010. The assessment followed the release of millions of pages of documents connected to a US investigation of Epstein.

The police force did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is normal under UK law. But when asked if he had been arrested, the force pointed to a statement saying that they had arrested a man in his 60s. Mountbatten-Windsor is 66.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,’’ the statement said. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence."

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,” the statement added.

Pictures circulated online appearing to show unmarked police cars at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plainclothes officers appearing to gather outside the home of Mountbatten-Windsor.


Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT

Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Georgia has ‌detained two people who attempted to purchase $3 million worth of uranium and a cache of a radioactive isotope found in nuclear weapons testing programs, the national security service said on Thursday.

Two foreign nationals from unspecified countries were arrested in the city of Kutaisi, the State Security Service said in a statement.

"They were planning to ‌illegally purchase ‌nuclear material uranium and radioactive ‌substance ⁠Cesium 137 for $3 ⁠million and illegally transport it to the territory of another country," Reuters quoted it as saying.

It said other foreigners had been arriving in Georgia in recent weeks with the aim of purchasing and transporting the nuclear and ⁠radioactive materials, without elaborating further.

The ‌statement did ‌not specify the quantity of materials the individuals were ‌attempting to procure. There were ‌no details on the substances' origin or potential destination.

Cesium 137 is a radioactive isotope present primarily in the aftermath of nuclear weapons testing ‌and nuclear power plant accidents such as the Chernobyl disaster in ⁠then-Soviet ⁠Ukraine in 1986.

The security of nuclear materials was one of the biggest concerns after the 1991 fall of the Soviet Union, of which Georgia was part. There have been several serious incidents involving the illicit trade in nuclear materials in Georgia over recent decades.

Most recently, three Chinese citizens were arrested in the capital Tbilisi for attempting to purchase two kilograms of "nuclear material" uranium.