Why Michy Batshuayi Is Likely to Feel at Home at Crystal Palace

Michy Batshuayi scored one goal in 15 appearances for Valencia who wanted to terminate his loan from Chelsea. Photograph: Getty Images
Michy Batshuayi scored one goal in 15 appearances for Valencia who wanted to terminate his loan from Chelsea. Photograph: Getty Images
TT

Why Michy Batshuayi Is Likely to Feel at Home at Crystal Palace

Michy Batshuayi scored one goal in 15 appearances for Valencia who wanted to terminate his loan from Chelsea. Photograph: Getty Images
Michy Batshuayi scored one goal in 15 appearances for Valencia who wanted to terminate his loan from Chelsea. Photograph: Getty Images

And dear @CPFC fans: I. CANT. WAIT,” Michy Batshuayi wrote on Twitter in the early hours of Friday morning. After what had certainly been a long 24 hours for Chelsea’s forgotten man, you could almost hear the relief in his words. Stationed in an office at Valencia’s training ground, Batshuayi was kept informed of the unfolding drama by a series of WhatsApp messages and frantic phone calls as his representatives scrambled to secure his future deep into the night.

In the end it was Crystal Palace – the first club to register interest in the Belgium striker back in December – who signed him on loan until the end of the season in a race that proved to be the highlight of a transfer deadline day which again failed to live up to the hype. You can always rely on Tottenham to provide some last-minute drama, however.

With Valencia having indicated their wish to terminate his loan after one goal in 15 appearances – albeit mainly as a substitute – Batshuayi had initially seemed set to link up again with the former Belgium assistant manager Thierry Henry at Monaco until Henry was unceremoniously sacked last week. When efforts to sell him to Everton did not come off, Chelsea set up loan deals with West Ham and Real Betis, only for neither to agree personal terms. Enter Daniel Levy.

Sensing an opportunity to sign the player they had missed out on when he moved to Stamford Bridge in June 2016, Spurs made an approach about loaning Batshuayi but Chelsea were not keen to lend him to a rival, with Tottenham’s offer of £5m to borrow the player turned down. It was then that Palace’s chairman, Steve Parish, stepped in, eventually securing the forward for whom they had opened the bidding with Marseille nearly three years ago for a loan fee of £1m hours after the transfer deadline had passed. Batshuayi flew from Spain to London on Friday and will be at best a substitute at home against Fulham on Saturday.

“I think it’s good that he is going to an English team – he knows the country, he knows the city and he knows the language now,” says Kristof Terreur, a Belgian journalist who covers English football for Het Laatste Nieuws.

“Language-wise and understanding things was the main issue in Spain. He has always been a slow adapter so he always needs time and I think Roy Hodgson might be the kind of manager that can really help him. He’s not the type who is really brainwashing his forwards with instructions and telling them what to do. He likes his forwards playing with intuition and Michy is purely an intuition striker, so it could work out well.”

Batshuayi scored seven times for Chelsea in the Premier League despite being on the pitch for only 589 minutes and making only four starts under Guus Hiddink and Antonio Conte. Yet even after Batshuayi’s successful loan at Borussia Dortmund last season earned him a place at the World Cup and with Chelsea struggling for goals this campaign, Maurizio Sarri has not considered turning to a player whose face has never seemed to fit in west London.

“He has been waiting for a long time,” Terreur says. “Michy is still a little bit like Chelsea’s toy – being told where he has to go all the time. Henry calls him the most lethal Belgian striker in the 18-yard box and that’s why he wanted him so much. That’s why he wanted Monaco too because he would have found someone who really believes in him.”

Batshuayi will have competition for a starting spot at Selhurst Park, with his international teammate Christian Benteke and Connor Wickham back from injury, but he could be the kind of poacher Palace require to ensure their Premier League status.

Wilfried Zaha is potentially facing a longer ban after his reaction to his red card against Southampton so Hodgson could be tempted to use the two Belgium strikers in tandem for next Saturday’s game against West Ham as the relegation battle intensifies. Luckily for Palace, the 25-year-old, who grew up in the notorious Molenbeek district of Brussels, is used to putting up a fight despite his jocular presence on social media.

“Michy is an easygoing guy – look at how well he did at Dortmund and even at Chelsea he never lost his confidence because he was still scoring goals,” Terreur says. “I’m sure he will feel at home in south London.”

(The Guardian)



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.