Jadon Sancho: ‘It Hasn’t Been Easy. I’ve Had to Work for This’

 Jadon Sancho in Dortmund: ‘For the kids that are in south London I hope I can give a positive message.’ Photograph: Lara Ingenbleek/The Guardian
Jadon Sancho in Dortmund: ‘For the kids that are in south London I hope I can give a positive message.’ Photograph: Lara Ingenbleek/The Guardian
TT

Jadon Sancho: ‘It Hasn’t Been Easy. I’ve Had to Work for This’

 Jadon Sancho in Dortmund: ‘For the kids that are in south London I hope I can give a positive message.’ Photograph: Lara Ingenbleek/The Guardian
Jadon Sancho in Dortmund: ‘For the kids that are in south London I hope I can give a positive message.’ Photograph: Lara Ingenbleek/The Guardian

“My friends in Kennington always ask me: ‘Can I have a shirt for my little brother or my cousin?’ And I always send them shirts,” says Jadon Sancho. “I will never forget where I have come from because I know what it is like growing up in that area … it is not nice. Especially when you have people around you doing bad things.”

More than a month away from celebrating his 19th birthday, the first player born this millennium to represent England and a trailblazer for his generation is holding court at Borussia Dortmund’s Westfalenstadion. Dressed in a turquoise green tracksuit and immaculate matching trainers, the unassuming Sancho does not come across as the most coveted teenager in world football as he makes a point of shaking hands with every journalist around the table with the greeting, “nice to meet you”.

Clearly at ease in his surroundings in western Germany as he prepares for his return to London to face Tottenham in the Champions League on Wednesday, he is taller and broader in the shoulders than this time last year; something the makers of the Fifa video game may want to take note of.

“I am stronger than it says,” he says, laughing. The boy from the Guinness Trust Buildings estate who left home at 12 has now become a man.

“For the kids that are in south London I hope I can give a positive message,” he adds, intently. “Don’t do those bad things. You don’t have to be footballers. You could focus on your school work. Education is the most important thing and a lot of kids in south London get distracted from education.”

Had he not been blessed with a talent with the ball that convinced his headteacher at Crampton primary school he was destined to be a star when she first saw him as a five-year-old, Sancho knows his story could have turned out very differently. Eight goals – including the brilliant finish from a tight angle in Saturday’s 3-3 draw with Hoffenheim – and nine assists in the Bundesliga this season have allowed Lucien Favre’s vibrant young Dortmund side to dream of winning a first title since 2012. His bold decision to reject a new contract with Manchester City worth £30,000-a-week and move to Germany in search of first-team football is proving a masterstroke.

Yet just like on the pitch, where his outstanding skill and dribbling speed have made him a social media sensation and earned comparisons with Neymar, Sancho has always been prepared to take risks. Having joined Watford aged seven, he would travel across London three nights a week to train and was later persuaded to leave his friends and family behind to join the club’s affiliated school, Harefield Academy in Uxbridge, west London.

“I didn’t really want to go to that boarding school,” Sancho reflects nearly seven years on. “I wanted to stay at home and travel but the people around me told me what was best and I listened to them. I am happy that I am here today, where I am.”

Now sharing an apartment with his father, Sean, a former security guard, near Dortmund’s impressive home, Sancho is in regular touch with his mother and friends back in Kennington and says he is enjoying life in “a chilled city”, even if he admits “learning German will be always kind of hard to me. But I’m getting the basics right,” he adds with enthusiasm, “working up on speaking German in training. I know what the manager is saying in training sessions, which makes it easier for me and for the players also: that’s how you interact, you come together more.

“Me being so comfortable being abroad is due to the fact I’ve always been away from home. When I first left home it was very difficult, because I wasn’t used to it, I was always with my mum. The first couple of years were very tough and then as I got older people started to tell me: ‘It’s either this or going back home.’ And I always loved football, so I always chose the hard option. That’s what’s made me more comfortable being away from home than other people, so I’m kind of lucky.”

Last month, Chelsea rejected a bid of £35m from Bayern Munich for Callum Hudson-Odoi that would have made him the most expensive British teenager. Germany’s most successful club remain confident of signing him in the summer and it is no exaggeration to say that Sancho’s impact at Dortmund since he was handed Ousmane Dembélé’s No 7 shirt in 2017 has been a major influence in their determination to sign his former England Under‑17 teammate.

BVB’s sporting director, Michael Zorc, said it was during a youth international that they first became aware of Sancho’s extraordinary ability and subsequently made every effort to persuade him to leave City.

But having come up against his childhood friend Reiss Nelson against Hoffenheim on Saturday – the 19-year-old is on loan from Arsenal until the end of the season – and with several other English teenagers starting to follow in Sancho’s slipstream as opportunities for young players in the Premier League continue to be scarce, he is quick to explain that the adaptation has taken time.

“It hasn’t been easy. I’ve had to work for this. Everyone around me is keeping me grounded and keeping me focused. I’m improving every day and Marco Reus, Mario Götze and Axel Witsel are great role models to me and everyone else in the team. It’s really nice to have them around telling me what to do, and what’s not good, helping me solve things I wouldn’t solve by myself, so I’m happy.”

Sancho adds: “[Coming to Germany] was about the youngsters here getting opportunities. I really felt Dortmund was the right club for me. They spoke to me and said the right things I wanted to hear. Now they’re showing it and I couldn’t thank them more.”

Sancho won his first senior England cap against Croatia in October and was visited in Dortmund last week by Gareth Southgate’s assistant, Steve Holland. He is expected to be part of the squad that will face the Netherlands in June in the Nations League semi-final in Portugal but says being out of the spotlight in another country has allowed him to keep a distance from the developing hype surrounding him back home.

“I’m not aware at all,” he says. “Obviously I’ve seen Twitter things, but I don’t know how … I don’t ask questions really, I just stay focused on what I’m doing and just keep going forward. All this media. This is all new to me. This is all crazy. I never knew you could be so known over your success. I thought if you are doing well everyone talks obviously, the fans, but I never knew they would take so much interest, but this helps a young player, the media training. It helps them out but this is the biggest thing. This is crazy.”

It must be said that his innocence is rather endearing. Sancho also barely seems able to believe that he will be back in his home city to play against Tottenham in the first leg of their last-16 tie in Europe’s premier club competition. Thirty members of his family and close friends will be at Wembley to see whether Dortmund can gain revenge for losing home and away to Spurs in the group stages last season.

“I feel like we have improved so it won’t be the same match as last year. It will be more difficult for them. Especially as they have some big players missing out so it is going to be a tough one,” Sancho says.

“It’s a great feeling. I’ll be playing in front of my family, which is something I’ve always wanted to do since I was a young boy. Now I’m able to do it and hopefully I can show London people what I’m about. Everyone was messaging me saying: ‘I need a ticket!’ It’s big. I’m just happy that I’m playing in the Champions League. It is a big thing for me like it is for every player. That’s the biggest stage in the world so I’ve got to keep on working hard and hopefully I will get many more chances.”

As well as his quick feet and mesmerising ball control, Sancho attributes his fearless attitude to the hours and hours of cage matches he played as a child on the estate in Kennington. He plans to return to Crampton and Harefield at the end of the season to answer questions from pupils and is clearly passionate about giving something back to the community that helped raise him.

“I am trying to go back to my old schools first,” he says. “Hopefully, if things progress I can go to other schools and give things out from [sponsors] Nike. That would be nice for the school – like footballs and things like that. I was where they are once upon a time … just to give them a good message would be nice for them to hear.”

Eloquent, intelligent and with the world at his feet, Sancho is certainly a decent role model for any child of the 21st century.

The Guardian Sport



Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports
TT

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

Sports Investment Forum Allocates Third Day to Women's Empowerment to Promote Sustainable Investment in Women’s Sports

The Sports Investment Forum announced that the third day of its 2026 edition will be dedicated to empowering women in the sports sector, in partnership with Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University. The move reflects the forum’s commitment to supporting the objectives of Saudi Vision 2030 and enhancing the role of women in the sports industry and sports investment.

This allocation comes as part of the forum’s program, scheduled to take place from April 20 to 22, at The Ritz-Carlton, Riyadh. The third day will feature a series of strategic sessions and specialized workshops focused on sustainable investment in women’s sports, the empowerment of female leadership, the development of inclusive sports cities, and support for research and studies in women’s sports, SPA reported.

Forum organizers emphasized that the partnership with Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University, recognized as the largest women’s university in the world, represents a model of integration between the academic and investment sectors. The partnership contributes to building a sustainable knowledge base that supports the growth of women’s sports and enhances investment opportunities at both local and international levels.

The dedicated day will address several strategic themes, including sustainable investment in women’s leagues and events, boosting scalable business models, empowering female leaders within federations, clubs, and sports institutions, and developing inclusive sports cities that ensure women’s participation in line with the highest international standards. It will also include the launch of research initiatives and academic partnerships to support future policies and strategies for the sector.

This approach aims to transform women’s empowerment in sports from a social framework into a sustainable investment and development pathway that enhances women’s contributions to the sports economy and reinforces Saudi Arabia’s position as a leading regional hub for advancing women’s sports.

The day is expected to attract prominent female leaders, decision-makers, investors, and local and international experts, in addition to the signing of several memoranda of understanding and joint initiatives supporting women’s empowerment in the sports sector.

The Sports Investment Forum reiterated that empowering women is a strategic pillar in developing the national sports ecosystem, contributing to economic growth objectives, enhancing quality of life, and building a more inclusive and sustainable sports community.


Liverpool Boss Slot Says Isak in 'Final Stages of Rehab'

Soccer Football -  FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble
Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble
TT

Liverpool Boss Slot Says Isak in 'Final Stages of Rehab'

Soccer Football -  FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble
Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble

Liverpool manager Arne Slot said on Thursday he believes striker Alexander Isak is in the "final stages of rehab" and could return by the end of next month to bolster the Reds' push for Champions League qualification.

The British record signing has been sidelined since mid-December when he fractured a bone in his lower leg and needed ankle surgery following a sliding tackle from Tottenham's Micky van de Ven.

His injury came just as 26-year-old Sweden international Isak, who joined Premier League champions Liverpool for £125 million ($169 million) from top-flight rivals Newcastle in September, was finding his form at Anfield with two goals in six matches.

"Alex has been on the pitch, not with his football boots but with his running shoes for the first time this week," Slot told reporters, according to AFP.

"The next step is doing work with the ball, which every player likes most, then the next step is to come into the group and then it takes a while before you're ready to play.

"It will be some time around there, end of March, start of April, where he is hopefully back with the group. That is not to say you are ready to play, let alone start a game.

"But it's nice that rehab goes well; that's a compliment to him and our medical staff.

"I think we all know the moment you go on the pitch it doesn't take three months but these final stages of rehab can also make it change."

Isak is one of five Liverpool first-team players currently sidelined, with only Jeremie Frimpong close to a return.

The right-back has been out since the end of last month with a hamstring injury but is expected to be available for next weekend's visit of West Ham.

Liverpool have had a rare week without a match ahead of Sunday's trip to Nottingham Forest.

"It is nice and useful as the players we are having, nine out of 10 go to the national team so for seven, eight, nine months they hardly have a time off," said Dutch boss Slot, who insisted he had no need of a rest himself.

"It was nice but I did not really need it. Last season I felt I needed it more in this period of time. I am enjoying the work I do here."

Liverpool, after a slow start to their title defense -- are now sixth and within three points of the top four with 12 games to go.

They next play three of the bottom four clubs as they look to get themselves into a Champions League position.

Premier League leaders Arsenal were left just five points clear of second-placed Manchester City after blowing a two-goal lead in a shock 2-2 draw away to rock-bottom Wolves on Wednesday.

Slot, however, said: "We didn't need yesterday to know how difficult it is to win a Premier League game. What has made the Premier League nicer this season than three, four, five, six years ago is it's more competitive."


Familiar Face Returns to Marseille where Habib Beye Takes Charge

(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)
(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)
TT

Familiar Face Returns to Marseille where Habib Beye Takes Charge

(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)
(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)

Marseille is looking to reignite its season with a new coach on board.

The nine-time French champion appointed Habib Beye to replace Roberto De Zerbi following a bad patch of form that saw the club exit the Champions League and drop 12 points behind Ligue 1 leader Lens.

Beye, a former Senegal international who played for Marseille, will be in charge of Friday's trip to Brest.

After leading Red Star to promotion to Ligue 2, Beye spent the last year and a half as the Rennes coach. The club sacked Beye this month.

Key matchups Marseille has failed to win its past three league games, badly damaging its title hopes. The results including a 5-0 mauling at PSG have left fans fuming. The club hopes Beye, a disciplinarian advocating ball possession and a strong attacking identity, will produce a jolt.

Beye's hiring "refocuses us on the challenges we still need to tackle between now and the end of the season,” The Associated Press quoted Marseille owner Frank McCourt as saying.

Since McCourt bought Marseille in 2016, the former powerhouse has failed to find any form of stability in a succession of coaches and crises. It hasn’t won the league title since 2010.

PSG abandoned the top spot to Lens after losing to Rennes 3-1 last week. Luis Enrique's team bounced back with a 3-2 win at Monaco in the first leg of their Champions League playoff and hosts last-placed Metz on Saturday. Lens welcomes Monaco the same day.

Third-placed Lyon, on a stunning 13-match winning run, plays at Strasbourg on Sunday.
Players to watch With the World Cup in his country looming, former Arsenal striker Folarin Balogun is hitting form at the right time. The American forward scored twice inside 18 minutes against PSG and has 10 goals and four assists this season.

At PSG, the man in form is Désiré Doué.

After his team quickly fell behind by two goals against Monaco midweek, Doué came to the rescue to turn things around. The France international was relentless and left his mark on the match after coming on as a replacement for Ousmane Dembélé. He first reduced the deficit, played a role in Achraf Hakimi’s equalizer then netted the winner.
Out of action Dembélé is expected to miss PSG's match against Metz because of an injured left calf.

Off the field PSG was sanctioned with the partial closure of the Auteuil stand for two matches and a 10,000 euros ($11,800) fine by the disciplinary committee of the French league following banners displayed and insults directed by supporters during the match against Marseille on Feb. 8. at the Parc des Princes. There were brief discriminatory chants about Marseille at the start of the game and the referee stopped play for about one minute around the 70th.