Mauro Icardi, Internazionale and the Return of Unwelcome Headlines

 Mauro and Wanda Icardi watch Inter’s win over Sampdoria from the San Siro stands. Photograph: Emilio Andreoli/Getty Images
Mauro and Wanda Icardi watch Inter’s win over Sampdoria from the San Siro stands. Photograph: Emilio Andreoli/Getty Images
TT

Mauro Icardi, Internazionale and the Return of Unwelcome Headlines

 Mauro and Wanda Icardi watch Inter’s win over Sampdoria from the San Siro stands. Photograph: Emilio Andreoli/Getty Images
Mauro and Wanda Icardi watch Inter’s win over Sampdoria from the San Siro stands. Photograph: Emilio Andreoli/Getty Images

The first time the big screen cut to Mauro Icardi, it stayed with him for only a few seconds. He had arrived just before kick-off for Inter’s game against Sampdoria, taking a seat beside his wife, and agent, Wanda in the stands at San Siro. Neither seemed to notice when the cameras picked them out, provoking brief jeers from the home crowd.

But the camera lingered a little longer the second time around. Play had stopped, and the mood inside the stadium was restless, with the score still goalless after the interval. This time the whistles were ear-splitting. Wanda glanced up at the screen, and quickly cast her eyes back down.

Four days had passed since Icardi was stripped of the captaincy: a decision which the manager, Luciano Spalletti, explained thus: “There are certain things surrounding the lad which need to be fixed. These things have caused, and continue to cause, embarrassment to the team and the club of which he was captain.”

Chief among those ‘things’ was presumed to be Wanda, and her habit for creating unwelcome headlines. A regular on Mediaset’s football talk show Tiki Taka, she had criticised her husband’s team-mates for not passing him the ball enough. “More than giving Mauro a new contract,” she observed, “I’d prefer Inter to sign someone capable of giving him five good balls in every game.”

There was more to Inter’s decision than a single remark. It had been precipitated by a meeting of the club’s directors, led by Beppe Marotta. Appointed as CEO for sporting activity in December, this felt like an instance of the former Juventus man seeking to establish his leadership on a key issue. He had the backing of many Inter supporters. Icardi finished as Serie A’s joint-top scorer last season, but goals alone do not make a captain. Ultras have not forgotten the incendiary autobiography the player released in 2016, in which he threatened to “bring 100 criminals from Argentina” to kill those who had menaced him as the team struggled.

More recently, there had been reports of a squad divided: with cliques said to have formed inside the Inter changing room. Fresh fuel was thrown on that fire when Marcelo Brozovic hit ‘like’ on Inter’s tweet announcing that Samir Handanovic had replaced Icardi as captain.

The Argentinian opted out of Thursday’s Europa League trip to Rapid Vienna, having initially been named in the squad. He was subsequently omitted from the team to face Sampdoria. Spalletti said he was pleased Icardi chose to come and watch anyway, though he would have preferred it if his striker had come down to celebrate with team-mates at the end of an eventual 2-1 win.

It was certainly an encouraging victory. Lautaro Martínez, starting up front in Icardi’s absence, delivered another strong performance after scoring the only goal against Rapid. He interprets the role very differently to his compatriot, offering greater movement and contribution to build-up play if also a less consistent presence inside the box.

It was tempting to wonder whether Icardi might have done better with a majestic early ball from from Roberto Gagliardini. Martínez had the goal at his mercy, but shot too close to keeper Emil Audero. Yet he created opportunities for those around him. It was Martínez who volleyed first-time into the path of Radja Nainggolan, before the Belgian fired just wide. It was he again whocreated space for Ivan Perisic to race clear before being thwarted by an excellent save from Audero.

Perisic made amends by setting up Inter’s first goal, dribbling in from the left and crossing for Danilo D’Ambrosio to score. Samp equalised moments later, Manolo Gabbiadini finishing coolly after a scramble, but the Nerazzurri delivered an immediate response, Nainggolan waiting on the edge of the box to convert a half-cleared corner.

As Inter’s former captain watched from the stand, team-mates who had likewise failed to show leadership were finally standing up to be counted. This was supposed to be a big year for Perisic, coming off a starring role for Croatia at the World Cup, yet he has only scored as many league goals in six months for his club as he did in seven games for his country last summer. Nainggolan, likewise, has underperformed – as well as being beset by injuries.The latter player already appeared to have turned over a new leaf, shedding four kilos since the start of the year thanks to a new diet and training regime. He had spoken about taking responsibility and growing up in the wake of Inter’s previous league win, away to Parma.

Inter’s hope now is that Icardi may follow such examples. Wanda was back on Tiki Taka on Sunday night when Marotta phoned in with a conciliatory message. “The decision [to strip Icardi of the captaincy] was not a disciplinary measure,” he said. “Heads of families need to take difficult decisions sometimes when it comes to their children, to help them grow. Icardi is only 25 years old.”

Hostility toward the player has reached unacceptable levels in some quarters, and Wanda said that they missed Sunday’s celebrations only after being advised to leave early for security reasons. A rock had been thrown at her car the day before, striking the windscreen as she was driving her three sons to a football game.

Marotta was among the first to call offering support: a reminder that it is possible to hold professional disagreements without abandoning human decency. Icardi’s future remains cloudy, but the director insists a fresh contract offer is on the way. This latest win can only strengthen his negotiating position.

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.