Zidane’s Real Madrid Return a Masterstroke and He Has All the Aces

Three and easy: Zidane with the European Cup after the victory over Liverpool last year, a third successive triumph. Photograph: Genya Savilov/AFP/Getty Images
Three and easy: Zidane with the European Cup after the victory over Liverpool last year, a third successive triumph. Photograph: Genya Savilov/AFP/Getty Images
TT

Zidane’s Real Madrid Return a Masterstroke and He Has All the Aces

Three and easy: Zidane with the European Cup after the victory over Liverpool last year, a third successive triumph. Photograph: Genya Savilov/AFP/Getty Images
Three and easy: Zidane with the European Cup after the victory over Liverpool last year, a third successive triumph. Photograph: Genya Savilov/AFP/Getty Images

Pfff, and the crisis was gone. Zinedine Zidane walked into the room at the Santiago Bernabéu a little after eight o’clock and suddenly all was well with the world. It is not of course – Real Madrid’s season is over three months early, there are significant structural problems, and even the president, Florentino Pérez, called this an “especially difficult moment” – but that is how it felt. Whatever happens next, as an act of crisis management this was a masterstroke, the perfect move.

Zidane walked back in 284 days after walking out. Sequels were never any good, they say, but in the warmth of his return no one doubted this was the right decision – even if they dare not believe this will be as good as the first time, when Madrid won three consecutive Champions Leagues.

It can’t begin the same way, that’s for sure: Zidane was a European champion within five months of taking over last time; this time it will be five months before Madrid play a match that matters. Except that they all matter, as much for what happens around them as what happens on the pitch.

His first game is against Celta Vigo on Saturday and 10 more follow, all of them fundamentally irrelevant, but Zidane talked about them as something to enjoy, not endure. Attendances have plummeted this season; watch it rise again this Saturday. The risk was that disaster might follow defeat, the crisis deepening and divisions widening. Zidane’s arrival stems the bleeding. Ilusión was the word repeated: there may yet prove something illusory about it, but it means hope, excitement, enthusiasm, optimism.

Whether that can be maintained, whether a full recovery will follow, is another issue. There are many questions, most of them born of a fundamental doubt standing at the heart of it all: if there was a reason you walked away nine months ago, and there was, what has changed to make you walk back in again? Zidane said there was none, but no one bought that. Asked what his first thought was when the president called him, he replied: “To go back.” Pausing, he added: “And here I am.”

“I love the club, I couldn’t say no to the president,” Zidane said and there is genuinely an emotional connection, but nor did he say yes straight away. The call came last Thursday; he was presented on Monday. The traffic can be bad in Madrid but it doesn’t take that long to get from Arturo Soria to the Bernabéu. He was not forthcoming and replied “no, no” when asked directly whether guarantees had been given, but it is inconceivable that he accepted without concessions. There had been some reluctance at first but he was the man in the position of power, able to mould this to his ideas: Madrid needed him and they needed him now.

There was indeed a reason Zidane walked away in May. Many of them, in fact, all interrelated. Always seen as elegant, almost effortless – even as a coach – that impression disguises that he is a competitor. He talked then about needing a change after three years – for his sake and for theirs. “It’s the right decision,” he said. “I don’t like losing. If I feel like I am not going to win, I have to make a change.” He has been proven right; Madrid have failed to win – and that fact alone changes things. It makes his achievement, perhaps undervalued before, appear all the greater. It also serves almost to ringfence and protect his legacy, whatever happens now.

There is no guarantee how this will end, but Zidane wouldn’t have walked back in if he didn’t feel that he could win now. “It might be a see you later, not a goodbye,” he said under a year ago, but it is not as if he has never been away. Quite the opposite: being away is a key part of his armory now. Going away and coming back is better than never having gone at all.

This season without him provides a corrective, a reminder, and strengthens his hand enormously in the boardroom and the dressing room. The experience alone represents a change, and he said that there would be more. There will be arrivals and departures, with Gareth Bale high on the list of those whose future at Madrid became bleaker on Monday, and he will lead those, handed the authority and the money that he didn’t get before.

There are lessons to be learned from that failure without him and indeed from what he described as the failures with him. Last season they won the European Cup but finished 17 points behind Barcelona, with Zidane himself insisting the domestic title was the one he really valued. Whereas some managers talk endlessly about what they won, he talked about what he had lost. “We won the Champions League, OK, sure,” he said, “but the league was lost from the start.”

For him, this league is lost from the start too. Taking charge now with nothing to play for, with the potential for deepening problems, confrontations and crises like those seen in the five days since Ajax knocked Madrid out, might burn some managers. But with Zidane there is instead gratitude for him taking over at a time like this; his arrival puts out the fire and these failures will not be his. Next season’s will, and then judgments will be made, but if there is success it will be more his than ever before. “I’m happy,” Zidane said, “and that’s what matters.” Everyone else was happy too.

(The Guardian)



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.