The Revolution Will Be Televised: As the Season Ends, the Age of Var Is Nigh

 Video assistant referees has a green button to ‘bookmark’ an incident and a red button that allows them to contact the on-pitch referee. Photograph: Stringer/Getty Images
Video assistant referees has a green button to ‘bookmark’ an incident and a red button that allows them to contact the on-pitch referee. Photograph: Stringer/Getty Images
TT

The Revolution Will Be Televised: As the Season Ends, the Age of Var Is Nigh

 Video assistant referees has a green button to ‘bookmark’ an incident and a red button that allows them to contact the on-pitch referee. Photograph: Stringer/Getty Images
Video assistant referees has a green button to ‘bookmark’ an incident and a red button that allows them to contact the on-pitch referee. Photograph: Stringer/Getty Images

Sunday’s round of Premier League matches are not only the last of the season but the final ones before video assistant referees – VARs – are introduced to the top flight. It is a moment many are wary of but no one can stop. The revolution is coming and it will be televised.

The encouraging news is that work has been under way at Stockley Park, VAR’s west-London headquarters, for close to two years to ensure the system operates successfully during the 380 Premier League games to be played next season. That process has involved live and non-live testing as well as consultations with all parties, including managers and players.

Last week it was the turn of journalists to hear a progress report from Mike Riley, the head of the Professional Game Match Officials Limited, as well as experience first-hand what it is like to be a VAR.

Riley is confident the system’s introduction to the Premier League will not significantly disrupt the “pace and tempo” of matches. He is also certain it will vastly improve the accuracy of “factual” calls, specifically regarding offsides.

As part of the non-live testing process, PGMOL officials have monitored all onside and offside calls that have taken place during the current Premier League season and noted that by match-round 33 there had been 35 such calls that, had VAR been in place, would have been overturned, leading to the “key-match incidents accuracy” of top-flight referees rising from 84% to 87% and that of assistant referees from 79% to 95%.

“Of those 35, 26 have been in matches when the score has been level or there has been a one-goal difference,” Riley said. “That’s why we’re positive about VAR: it will lead to more correct and important judgments.”

The system will not change the subjective nature of many decisions. As well as checking for mistaken identity, VARs also check goals, penalty calls and straight red cards and in each area there can be differing opinions. Hence the requirement of VARs to intervene only if they feel the on-pitch referee has made a “clear and obvious” error. Yet what the VAR may deem to be “clear and obvious”, others may not . As Riley put it: “Subjective decisions ultimately come down to the VAR on the day.”

In regards to live testing, 68 games in the domestic cups have seen the use of VAR. It is the data gathered from this process that, Riley said, shows the introduction of VARs will not have a hugely adverse effect on the flow of top-flight games. On average there were eight checks per game, with the average time of a check being 29 seconds; Riley noted: “The average time taken to celebrate a goal in the Premier League is 62 seconds.”

In a further attempt to maintain the flow of matches, the PGMOL wants VARs to make calls on decisions they feel need to be overturned or reviewed, as opposed to asking the on-pitch official to check the incidents on the screen in the referee referral areas that will be on the touchline at every fixture. Final decisions will rest with the on-pitch referee, however: if he or she does not want to overturn a call, they will not have to.

There are seven VAR booths at Stockley Park, in one room. At each booth the VAR sits in front of a screen showing the game, with another screen lower down on a three-second delay. To the VAR’s right is a replay operator, whose job it is to provide all the available shots of an incident, while to their left sits the assistant VAR, with a brief to see how the on-pitch referee has dealt with the incident. The VAR also has a green button to “bookmark” an incident to look at later. A red button allows them to contact the on-pitch referee. It is a fast-paced and occasionally bewildering experience. Patience will be key as those involved get to grips with their respective roles, something Riley is sure will occur. “Over time we’ll get better and faster at it.”

Riley’s predecessor, Keith Hackett, is a vocal critic of the way VAR will be implemented in the top flight, with one of his complaints being the lack of clarity regarding how spectators inside the ground will know an incident or decision is being checked or reviewed. In response the PGMOL has made it clear that before the start of next season all Premier League clubs will be required to put something in place at their grounds that will allow everyone inside to know VAR is in play, perhaps via the large screens or a PA announcement. It is also possible a clip of the incident in question could be shown but only after the check or review. All those matters will be discussed at the Premier League clubs’ summer meeting.

There is also a call from the PGMOL for those concerned to spend the summer swotting up on VAR guidelines and regulations, especially the players who need to remember two things in particular – all goals are checked by VAR and they can get booked if they make the VAR-screen gesture towards a referee or ask him to consult with the VAR in an “aggressive manner”.

Again, however, this creates a subjective grey area – what exactly is an aggressive manner? Does being sarcastic count as being aggressive? No one knows for sure but what is for certain is that from next season the Premier League will change for ever.

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.