Chris Hughton Pays the Price for Brighton’s Lack of Attacking Quality

Chris Hughton has been sacked by Brighton after a disastrous slump in form almost cost them their Premier League status. Photograph: Steve Bardens/Getty Images
Chris Hughton has been sacked by Brighton after a disastrous slump in form almost cost them their Premier League status. Photograph: Steve Bardens/Getty Images
TT

Chris Hughton Pays the Price for Brighton’s Lack of Attacking Quality

Chris Hughton has been sacked by Brighton after a disastrous slump in form almost cost them their Premier League status. Photograph: Steve Bardens/Getty Images
Chris Hughton has been sacked by Brighton after a disastrous slump in form almost cost them their Premier League status. Photograph: Steve Bardens/Getty Images

Chris Hughton has rarely been tempted to overplay his hand and, speaking to a small huddle of journalists at the end of December, he was at pains to make sure nobody else got ahead of themselves. Brighton had deservedly beaten Everton 1-0 and were 11 points clear of the relegation zone, a victory away from the top half, but their manager felt cautious. “We’re at a level where we can’t afford to look upwards,” he said. “It would be nice, at some stage, to be thinking differently but in our progression I think we still need to [look at it] that way.”

The problem for Hughton was that his paymasters were less inclined to. There had been murmurings on Sunday afternoon, before he oversaw the match against Manchester City, that his head might be on the block and, while the timing of Brighton’s announcement was brisk, the fact of his dismissal was not a shock. Creditable showings against Arsenal and Tottenham in recent weeks, as well as a narrow FA Cup semi-final defeat by City, could not mask that their form since overcoming Marco Silva’s side had largely been appalling; Brighton had nose-dived and, although nobody had demanded they threaten the leading lights, there was a growing sense Hughton’s natural conservatism was holding them back.

In explaining his decision the Brighton chairman, Tony Bloom, pointed to that run of three wins from their final 23 top-flight games, which left them two points ahead of relegated Cardiff. But he also referred to “the performances during that period” and it was a pointed reference to where the biggest issues lay.

Brighton’s goalless draw at Wolves last month was a decent result on its own and, given its significance to what was by now a tense fight against the drop, lauded as such by their support. But the home fans’ jeers – “How do you watch this every week?” was the one that stood out – told a story. In fairness such a dour rearguard action, in which Brighton failed to record a shot on target, was not representative of Hughton’s four-and-a-half-year tenure. But the approach was deemed necessary because Brighton had not scored in their previous five games, conceding eight goals without reply in outwardly winnable home matches with Southampton, Bournemouth and Cardiff. Their attack had, put simply, gone to pot and there was little indication that Hughton was capable of reanimating it.

There were suggestions that training drills prioritized defense to the extent that Brighton’s attackers felt alienated. In 2017-18, their first season back in the Premier League after Hughton had led them from the Championship, their best offensive work had tended to come on the counterattack with wingers – usually two from Anthony Knockaert, Solly March and José Izquierdo – providing ammunition for Glenn Murray. They recorded an average of 42.8% possession but that fell to 41.4% this time around while their number of shots taken, completed passes and passes into the final third also dropped. In fact they had fewer attempts than anyone except Burnley this season and finished 18th for expected goals. Brighton had failed to evolve; the chances were just not coming and, for a sports betting wizard like Bloom, it was an unsustainable trend.

Whoever replaces Hughton will be expected to create a side that can control games – at least against their perceived equals – and reconfigure Brighton’s attacking resources. Attempts to freshen up the front line have not worked. The record signing, Alireza Jahanbakhsh, was hindered by injury earlier in the season and is yet to score; Florin Andone has not done enough to displace the 35-year-old Murray; and a flicker of mid-season form from Jürgen Locadia, an otherwise desperately disappointing arrival from PSV Eindhoven in January 2018, proved short-lived. Together the three cost £36m and Brighton, whose budget was the division’s third-lowest, are not able to take such sums lightly.

The nagging concern among supporters, many of whom accepted it was time for Hughton to depart while holding him in exceptional regard, will be that the club has forced itself towards a crossroads. For every Southampton, whose replacement of Nigel Adkins with Maurico Pochettino in 2013 sparked uproar but proved transformative, there is the Icarus-like example of this season’s impatient, flailing Fulham. Imposing a more proactive style is not easy, either, at a time when the top six routinely hoover the ball.

Brighton, though, are not asking to be like Manchester City or even, at this point, Brendan Rodgers’ Leicester. They hope a more expressive outlook will sustain their top-flight future and it is simply unfortunate that Hughton, a thoroughly decent man and a fine manager, becomes collateral damage now. In February Brighton appointed the former FA technical director Dan Ashworth to a similar position. “My job is to try and keep the first-team manager in a job for as long as possible,” he said at the time. Three months later one wonders whether he was talking about Hughton or, in fact, his successor.

(The Guardian)



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.