Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool Look Well Set to Avoid the Curse of the Runner-up

Liverpool fans display a banner after the match against Wolves on May 12. (Reuters)
Liverpool fans display a banner after the match against Wolves on May 12. (Reuters)
TT

Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool Look Well Set to Avoid the Curse of the Runner-up

Liverpool fans display a banner after the match against Wolves on May 12. (Reuters)
Liverpool fans display a banner after the match against Wolves on May 12. (Reuters)

Before Liverpool’s game against Wolves on Sunday, the eye was drawn to a new item of clothing being offered by the merchandise sellers around Anfield. It was a black T-shirt with the words “Never Give Up” written in large letters across the front, replicas of the one Mohamed Salah had worn during the Champions League win against Barcelona a few days earlier. The message has come to define Liverpool’s run to the final in Madrid and, on a broader level, is one Jürgen Klopp will need to instill in his players once their attention returns to domestic duties.

For all the happiness and pride that marked Liverpool’s 2018-19 Premier League campaign there is no escaping the feeling that there will be some lasting scars. Ninety-seven points, a single defeat, the best defense, the second-best attack, league leaders for 141 days and still no title. How do Liverpool’s players not feel absolutely gutted after that? How does it not have an effect on them if, say, they win their opening five games of next season but so, too, do Manchester City? Will their shoulders not sag, their heads not drop? Will they not feel that, yet again, they are coming up against a relentless machine that cannot be halted?

These are the questions Klopp will need to address during the summer, while for the club in general there is a particularly poor trend to be wary of – namely how Liverpool have performed in the seasons following the four other occasions they have finished second since last winning the title in 1990. Each time what should have been a springboard to championship success ended up proving to be a middling failure.

In 1992 Liverpool finished sixth having been runners-up to Arsenal the previous campaign. Eleven years later they finished fifth having again been runners-up to Arsenal 12 months earlier. In 2010 Liverpool finished seventh having just lost out to United in the race for the title a season earlier, and then came 2015, when a side managed by Brendan Rodgers finished sixth on the back of a 6-1 defeat at Stoke on the final day of the season, having the year previously come within a Steven Gerrard slip of becoming champions.

“Second is nowhere,” Bill Shankly once said but for modern Liverpool it also appears to be a curse, and supporters could be forgiven for fearing it will strike for a fifth time. After all, Liverpool go into the new season knowing there is little or no chance of them getting 97 points again – they can only do worse. It hardly makes for ideal preparations.

Not that John Barnes sees it that way. He finished second on two occasions with Liverpool – in 1991 and also two years earlier in the most dramatic ever finale to an English season. Arsenal needed to win at Anfield by two clear goals to become champions and did so thanks to Michael Thomas’s late charge through the midfield. It was a blow for a Liverpool side already reeling from the trauma of Hillsborough yet they recovered to land the title 12 months later. As far as Barnes is concerned, the current side have what it takes to do similar.

“Champions don’t wallow in despair,” he said. “They treat triumph and disaster the same because that’s the only way as a team you can maintain the focus required to perform at a consistently high level. That’s what Liverpool did this season – perform with incredible consistency. Finishing second wasn’t a failure and I’m sure everyone inside the club recognizes that and is ready to go again. And yes, they may not get 97 points again, but they will push for the title. I’m sure of that.”

In regards to those previous second-place finishes, there are obvious differences. A completely different manager and set of players for starters, but also no sense that Liverpool are in line for a summer’s worth of terrible transfer activity. That was certainly the case in 1991, when Graeme Souness, preparing for his first full season in charge, sold a number of established players in order to revitalize the squad, a decision he later admitted was a mistake, and which at the time appeared foolish given one of those he got rid of was Peter Beardsley, who still had plenty to offer, as he proved at Everton after joining them that August.

In 2002 Gérard Houllier went on a spending spree that saw the frankly awful El Hadji Diouf, Salif Diao and Bruno Cheyrou arrive at Anfield. In 2009, with Rafael Benítez in charge, Liverpool lost a key part of the team that had pushed United hard for the title in Xabi Alonso while in 2014 an even more important championship-chasing figure was lost in Luis Suárez, with the £75m Liverpool got for the Uruguayan largely wasted.

This time around Liverpool should not only hold on to their best players but can also be trusted to make shrewd investment in new recruits given that is largely how the club have operated during Klopp’s time in charge, with the German forming an excellent working relationship with the sporting director, Michael Edwards, a little-known figure who has played a big role in bringing Salah and Virgil van Dijk to the club.

Such has been Liverpool’s success in the transfer market over recent years that it is hard to see exactly how they strengthen. Perhaps they could move for Ajax’s Matthijs de Ligt on the back of the impressive defensive partnership he has formed with Van Dijk at international level. Or maybe for Wilfried Zaha as cover for Salah and Sadio Mané in those crucial wide-forward areas. One other train of thought is that it may be time to move Roberto Firmino into a creative midfield/No. 10 role and deploy a more orthodox striker in the front three in order to boost the team’s scoring power to a potentially decisive level. Daniel Sturridge is no longer up to the task, nor clearly is Divock Origi, despite those goals against Everton, Newcastle and Barcelona. A new striker would be required, with RB Leipzig’s Timo Werner, who has long been linked with a move to Anfield, a potential candidate.

Whoever joins Liverpool this summer, Klopp’s main task will be one he has already proved himself to be a master of: motivation. The man with the huge grins and warm hugs needs to convince his players that they can once again push City all the way and, with a little more effort and a little more luck, out-do them. Ignore the second-place curse, believe, and, as the T-shirt says, never give up.

The Guardian Sport



Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.


Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
TT

Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)

Lindsey Vonn is back home in the US following a week of treatment at a hospital in Italy after breaking her left leg in the Olympic downhill at the Milan Cortina Games.

“Haven’t stood on my feet in over a week... been in a hospital bed immobile since my race. And although I’m not yet able to stand, being back on home soil feels amazing,” Vonn posted on X with an American flag emoji. “Huge thank you to everyone in Italy for taking good care of me.”

The 41-year-old Vonn suffered a complex tibia fracture that has already been operated on multiple times following her Feb. 8 crash. She has said she'll need more surgery in the US.

Nine days before her fall in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn ruptured the ACL in her left knee in another crash in Switzerland.

Even before then, all eyes had been on her as the feel-good story heading into the Olympics for her comeback after nearly six years of retirement.