Kuwait’s ‘Muslim Brotherhood’ Mobilizes in Defense of Egyptian Cell

Kuwait’s ‘Muslim Brotherhood’ Mobilizes in Defense of Egyptian Cell
TT

Kuwait’s ‘Muslim Brotherhood’ Mobilizes in Defense of Egyptian Cell

Kuwait’s ‘Muslim Brotherhood’ Mobilizes in Defense of Egyptian Cell

Kuwait would soon extradite to Cairo eight wanted fugitives linked to the Muslim Brotherhood, security and legal sources in Egypt told Asharq Al-Awsat on Sunday.

Last week, the Kuwaiti Interior Ministry said it has detained eight members of the outlawed group convicted of terrorism crimes and that it has decided to deport them to Egypt.

However, the Ministry’s decision angered supporters of the Brotherhood in Kuwait, where the group mobilized on Sunday to defend its members.

One of the leading figures to have attacked the Ministry’s measures was ex-Kuwaiti MP Nasser Al Duweila, who wrote on his Twitter page, “The Kuwaiti Interior Ministry’s decision to arrest members of the terrorist Brotherhood cell was an unsuccessful statement. We do not know those members or any of their activities in Kuwait.”

Islamist MP Jamaan al-Harbash, who has received a prison sentence and has fled to Turkey, also condemned the Interior Ministry’s decision in several tweets.

Another MP, Adel Al-Damkhi said, “The behavior of the Interior Ministry violates the Constitution.”

However, Magdy al-Shafei, former director general of the Egyptian "Interpol," told Asharq Al-Awsat on Sunday that “Cairo is bound by an agreement inked with Kuwait and several Arab states concerning wanted suspects and sentenced persons.”

In January 2017, both countries signed in Cairo a legal and judicial cooperation agreement on civil, commercial, criminal and personal status issues, as well as on the transfer of individuals who have been sentenced to prison.

Farouk al-Megrahi, a former Interior Ministry assistant told Asharq Al-Awsat that Kuwait is updating Egypt on the investigation into the cell’s members.

“Cairo is aware of all developments and investigations in the case,” said Megrahi.

The Egyptian official said that Cairo has sent evidence to Kuwait that the eight members were terrorists and that they have left Cairo illegally because of their involvement in violence.



Saudi FM Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from Russian Counterpart 

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
TT

Saudi FM Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from Russian Counterpart 

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov congratulated each other on Thursday on the centenary of diplomatic relations between their countries.

Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Waleed Elkhereiji received, on behalf of the foreign minister, a letter from Lavrov during a meeting with Russian Ambassador to the Kingdom Sergey Kozlov in Riyadh.

The diplomats exchanged congratulations on the centenary of diplomatic relations and discussed several issues of common interest.


Saudi Defense Minister Decorates Former CENTCOM Commander with King Abdulaziz Medal 

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Defense Minister Decorates Former CENTCOM Commander with King Abdulaziz Medal 

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz and former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla during the ceremony in Riyadh on Thursday. (SPA)

Saudi Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz bestowed on Thursday the King Abdulaziz Medal of Excellent Class upon former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) retired General Michael Kurilla.

The medal was awarded at the directives of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.

The ceremony took place at the defense minister's office in Riyadh.


Saudi Crown Prince Performs Prayers at Prophet's Mosque in Madinah 

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Performs Prayers at Prophet's Mosque in Madinah 

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and other officials perform prayers at the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday. (SPA)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, visited the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah on Friday to perform prayers.

He received upon his arrival by President of Religious Affairs at the Grand Mosque and the Prophet's Mosque Sheikh Dr. Abdulrahman Al-Sudais, Minister of Hajj and Umrah Tawfig Al-Rabiah, and a number of the mosque's imams and preachers.

Crown Prince Mohammed was accompanied by Governor of the Madinah Region Prince Salman bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz, Minister of State and Cabinet Member Prince Turki bin Mohammed bin Fahd bin Abdulaziz, Deputy Governor of the Riyadh Region Prince Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Abdulaziz, Deputy Governor of the Madinah Region Prince Saud bin Nahar bin Saud bin Abdulaziz, Prince Saud bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, Minister of Culture Prince Bader bin Abdullah bin Farhan, and several other officials.

Earlier, in Riyadh, Crown Prince Mohammed received at the Al-Yamamah Palace Saudi Arabia's grand mufti, several princes, scholars, ministers, and a number of citizens who came to extend their congratulations on the occasion of Ramadan. 

The Crown Prince prayed to Allah Almighty to accept everyone's fasting and righteous deeds, and to bless the Kingdom with continued security, stability, and prosperity under the leadership of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.