Algeria: Political Figures to Lead Government’s Dialogue with Protest Movement

Protesters against Bouteflika’s regime (AFP)
Protesters against Bouteflika’s regime (AFP)
TT

Algeria: Political Figures to Lead Government’s Dialogue with Protest Movement

Protesters against Bouteflika’s regime (AFP)
Protesters against Bouteflika’s regime (AFP)

Algerian activists from dozens of associations and organizations held several meetings which resulted in suggesting various figures to mediate the upcoming rounds of dialogue between the government and the protest movement.

Head of Civil Forum for Change, Abdul Rahman Arar, announced at a press conference a list of 13 figures who are “capable of leading mediation and dialogue.”

Interim President Abdul Qadir bin Saleh called for the dialogue 10 days ago, as previously called by the army chief of staff Lieutenant General Ahmed Gaid Salah.

The list includes prominent social figures, most notably former Foreign Minister and 1999 presidential candidate Ahmed Taleb Ibrahimi, former prime ministers Mokdad Sifi and Mouloud Hamrouche, former speaker Karim Younes, revolution icon Djamila Bouhired, and protest leader Mustafa Bushashi.

The aim is to find a way out of the crisis, said Arar, a leading child protection activist.

He explained that several national figures have shown willingness to engage in mediation and dialogue.

Weeks ago, bin Saleh called on parties and activists to choose government independent figures for the mediation between the protesters and the authority to discuss organizing presidential elections as soon as possible.

The government failed to organize presidential elections scheduled for July 4.

Arar refused to comment on the authority’s “conditions” for the dialogue, emphasizing the need to create conditions for successful mediation and dialogue, noting that if approved, the team will start the task immediately.

He was referring to the movement’s position on the 13 figures, which would be revealed during Friday’s demonstrations. He also meant the position of the de facto authority of these proposed names.

The release of political prisoners will be a positive step and will enhance dialogue and confidence in the 13 figures, Arar said, about the arrest of political figures and young people from the movement.

Also, the counselor in charge of corruption files in the Supreme Court placed former Industry Minister Mahdjoub Bedda in temporary custody on charges of unfairly granting privileges to auto assemblers.

During the interrogation, Bedda was asked about his connection with businessman Hassan Arabawi, who owns a South Korean car company, who is also in prison on corruption charges.

Seventeen people involved in the case were imprisoned, most of the officials in the ministry of industry who granted Arabawi licenses, which permitted him to assemble vehicles illegally, according to the investigations of the National Gendarmerie.

Former industry minister Youcef Yousfi was also detained on same charges, while his colleague Abdeslam Bouchouareb, also the former minister who currently resides in France, refused to appear before the Supreme Court, and therefore, it will likely launch an international arrest warrant against him.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.