Juba Unites Revolutionary Front Leaders

South Sudan's President Salva Kiir talks to South Sudan's rebel leader Riek Machar (File Photo: Reuters)
South Sudan's President Salva Kiir talks to South Sudan's rebel leader Riek Machar (File Photo: Reuters)
TT

Juba Unites Revolutionary Front Leaders

South Sudan's President Salva Kiir talks to South Sudan's rebel leader Riek Machar (File Photo: Reuters)
South Sudan's President Salva Kiir talks to South Sudan's rebel leader Riek Machar (File Photo: Reuters)

The Juba meeting between leaders of the Revolutionary Front on the peace process with the Forces for Freedom and Change (FFC) and the Sudanese Transitional Military Council (TMC) is likely to witness developments, according to a South Sudan official.

South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir Mayardit invited leaders Malik Agar, Yasir Arman, Jibril Ibrahim, and Minni Minnawi as part of his efforts to help Sudanese parties reach a common ground.

South Sudan's Presidential Advisor Tut Galwak announced that President Kiir and South Sudan government are sponsoring the meeting between FFC and factions of Sudan People's Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N), hoping it will unite the forces currently in Juba.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, Galwak noted that if the two factions led by Abdel Aziz al-Hilu and Malik Agar do not unite, they will sit at the same table with the FCC delegation, just like the factions of South Sudan held talks in Khartoum resulting in a peace treaty.

For his part, spokesman for the South Sudan National Movement for Change (SSNMC) Stephen Leal Naqour, told Asharq Al-Awsat that members of the Revolutionary Front responded to Juba’s request and this came within the framework of President Kiir initiative to mediate between the Sudanese parties.

The initiative was announced last year to address issues of peace and war in Sudan.

Naqour indicated that Kiir's invitation to the Revolutionary Front will likely succeed in strengthening the will of all Sudanese parties and forces to reach a consensus on the political agreement and the constitutional charter.

South Sudan is a pivotal area and accepted by all parties.

He noted that the Revolutionary Front, Darfur movements, FFC, and the TMC agreed on Kiir’s mediation, which will facilitate reaching a comprehensive peace agreement.

Naqour noted that the mediation in Juba provided the parties with a complement to the negotiating platforms in Addis Ababa and Egypt. The parties were given a starting point for an integrated negotiation to bring about comprehensive peace in the country.

He pointed out that this step facilitated the mediation of President Kiir to persuade FFC and armed movements in Darfur to engage in direct negotiations.

The first meeting brought together the Sudanese parties represented by FFC and the Revolutionary Front on one hand, and the Military Council on the other, resulted in supportive steps for the peace process in Sudan, most notably the parties' agreement on a ceasefire and its extension for six months.

Naqour explained that Kiir’s initiative included the factions of Agar and Hilu as representatives of the SPLM-N to reunify and enter the negotiations as a single bloc.

The agreement between Sudanese parties in Juba as well as the stability process in the two regions of Southern Kordofan and Blue Nile were represented in the six-months agreement to ceasefire and end hostilities between the SPLM-N and the Sudanese government, according to Naqour.

He noted that this period is sufficient to address all the controversial points, most notably the war, security arrangements, inclusion of SPLM-N and Revolutionary Front's vision in the negotiation, and achieving peace that meets the aspirations of the Sudanese people.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.