Footballer Carjacking Attempt Reveals Threat to London's Super-Rich

Kolasinac and Ozil
Kolasinac and Ozil
TT

Footballer Carjacking Attempt Reveals Threat to London's Super-Rich

Kolasinac and Ozil
Kolasinac and Ozil

The criminal threat to London’s wealthiest footballers is now so serious that they are hiring military drivers, bringing in more guard dogs, and could face new insurance clauses in their club contracts, experts have said.

Security providers who have worked with ultra-wealthy residents of the capital contacted after it was revealed that two Arsenal players faced an “ongoing security threat” related to an attempted carjacking said that a growing number of violent attacks had made their clientele increasingly wary.

Mesut Özil and Sead Kolašinac were left out of the north London club’s team against Newcastle last week after two men were arrested outside Özil’s home. That incident followed the attempted carjacking by an armed gang with mopeds when the two men were traveling together.

While both players – now believed to be under 24-hour protection – are expected to line up on Saturday against Burnley, the episode has lifted the lid on a hitherto little-noticed new trend in a city that has long traded on a reputation for being a safe bolthole for the wealthy.

In areas like Hampstead Garden Suburb, home to high net worth individuals and a cohort of footballers including Özil, the security gates are getting higher and private security firms busier amid heightened security concerns, fuelled by a spate of sometimes violent home invasions and vehicle-enabled ram raids. Wealthy visitors to the city are also taking measures.

“We have seen a large increase in requests from our international clients visiting London asking for highly trained drivers with military backgrounds, who can act as both driver and security when required during short stays in the city,” said Samuel Martin, co-founder of 19 London, an international agency providing staff in homes, offices, yachts and private aircraft for high net worth and high-profile individuals.

Martin added: “I live in Hampstead and although private security here is fairly normal to see, our streets have definitely seen a large increase in security and guard dogs protecting homes of local residents in recent weeks due to the amount of violent attacks on neighboring homes.”

Within the footballing community meanwhile, the ripples from Özil and Kolašinac’s experience continue to be felt.

“You can go back to all the burglaries in the past against players, Steven Gerrard or John Terry for example, but it’s a fact that there is an increasing crime wave at the moment in London,” said Paul Macarthur, the director of SGC Security, which provides services including event security, bodyguards and counter-surveillance.

Macarthur, whose clients include a Premier League club, predicted that insurance companies “sooner or later” would start to talk to teams about inserting clauses into contracts to covering the security threats faced by players worth tens of millions of pounds.

“When they’re in the training ground there will be full-time security but the minute they leave that comfort zone it changes. You’re talking about multimillion-pound assets, who also often have a significant social media footprint and very visible signs of wealth like flashy watches and cars. In many ways, they’re easy prey.”

On any day, security outside some of the more exclusive addresses just north of Hampstead is apparent. Uniformed private security personnel patrol on foot or in vans belonging to companies reporting an upsurge in demand, while CCTV cameras are visible on poles behind subtly sculpted gates and fences.

“In some areas what you’ve basically got are high net worth individuals or, say, 10 properties who have clubbed together and formed private tenant associations that employ security as a high visibility deterrent. If a resident is going away on holiday they’ll act a keyholder, take in packages and turn on lights at night,” said one.

“Prices per year could be in the region of £30-40,000. You’ve basically got gated communities like the US with private police operating as police resources are cut.”

At another level too, personal bodyguards are typically earning about £500 a day for work in a sector that has become a popular source of employment for ex-military personnel.

On the streets north of Hampstead, not everyone is pleased with the direction of travel.

“This is a conservation area but its character has definitely changed in the past year or so and perhaps it’s a pity,” said one long-term local resident during the week as he walked his dogs close to the home of Özil, where three sleek German-registered sports cars sat behind the property’s wall.

“What tends to happen is that a home might be demolished and when it gets rebuilt again there might be a large security gate. It obviously looks different from the older homes,” he added, gesturing to one side at an older, open-fronted, red-brick home and then to the other side, where major construction works were shrouded by metal hoarding.

If some recent experiences are anything to go by, those living here do have reason to be fearful. While security is at its tightest on streets such as the Bishops Avenue – for long nicknamed “Billionaires’ Row” – and on two nearby private streets which are closed off by barriers, it hasn’t stopped thieves in other locations from using four-wheel drives to knock down gates and break into homes, often in the full knowledge that they may be occupied.

Raids included one on the home of the historian Andrew Dutton Parish by masked robbers armed with machetes, who stole £20,000 of designer watches as he hosted a dinner party in July. A gang carrying machetes also robbed the former Tottenham forward Ronny Rosenthal in Cricklewood earlier in the summer, making off again with designer watches.

Mike Freer, the MP for Finchley and Golders Green, said a number of covert operations were in place but he claimed that police resources did not match the scale of the problem, claiming that boroughs such as Barnet ended up being shortchanged under resource allocations.

“We get fewer officers per head than most London boroughs,” he said. “The formula doesn’t reflect the extra demands on our local police in providing support to buildings and communities that are more vulnerable.”

(The Guardian)



Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
TT

Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs

Ukrainian officials will boycott the Paralympic Winter Games, Kyiv said Wednesday, after the International Paralympic Committee allowed Russian athletes to compete under their national flag.

Ukraine also urged other countries to shun next month's Opening Ceremony in Verona on March 6, in part of a growing standoff between Kyiv and international sporting federations four years after Russia invaded.

Six Russians and four Belarusians will be allowed to take part under their own flags at the Milan-Cortina Paralympics rather than as neutral athletes, the Games' governing body confirmed to AFP on Tuesday.

Russia has been mostly banned from international sport since Moscow invaded Ukraine. The IPC's decision triggered fury in Ukraine.

Ukraine's sports minister Matviy Bidny called the decision "outrageous", and accused Russia and Belarus of turning "sport into a tool of war, lies, and contempt."

"Ukrainian public officials will not attend the Paralympic Games. We will not be present at the opening ceremony," he said on social media.

"We will not take part in any other official Paralympic events," he added.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said he had instructed Kyiv's ambassadors to urge other countries to also shun the opening ceremony.

"Allowing the flags of aggressor states to be raised at the Paralympic Games while Russia's war against Ukraine rages on is wrong -- morally and politically," Sybiga said on social media.

The EU's sports commissioner Glenn Micallef said he would also skip the opening ceremony.

- Kyiv demands apology -

The IPC's decision comes amid already heightened tensions between Ukraine and the International Olympic Committee, overseeing the Winter Olympics currently underway.

The IOC banned Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych for refusing to ditch a helmet depicting victims of the war with Russia.

Ukraine was further angered that the woman chosen to carry the "Ukraine" name card and lead its team out during the Opening Ceremony of the Games was revealed to be Russian.

Media reports called the woman an anti-Kremlin Russian woman living in Milan for years.

"Picking a Russian person to carry the nameplate is despicable," Kyiv's foreign ministry spokesman Georgiy Tykhy said at a briefing in response to a question by AFP.

He called it a "severe violation of the Olympic Charter" and demanded an apology.

And Kyiv also riled earlier this month at FIFA boss Gianni Infantino saying he believed it was time to reinstate Russia in international football.

- 'War, lies and contempt' -

Valeriy Sushkevych, president of the Ukrainian Paralympic Committee told AFP on Tuesday that Kyiv's athletes would not boycott the Paralympics.

Ukraine traditionally performs strongly at the Winter Paralympics, coming second in the medals table four years ago in Beijing.

"If we do not go, it would mean allowing Putin to claim a victory over Ukrainian Paralympians and over Ukraine by excluding us from the Games," said the 71-year-old in an interview.

"That will not happen!"

Russia was awarded two slots in alpine skiing, two in cross-country skiing and two in snowboarding. The four Belarusian slots are all in cross-country skiing.

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) said earlier those athletes would be "treated like (those from) any other country".

The IPC unexpectedly lifted its suspension on Russian and Belarusian athletes at the organisation's general assembly in September.


'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
TT

'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)

Ami Nakai entered her first Olympics insisting she was not here for medals — but after the short program at the Milano Cortina Games, the 17-year-old figure skater found herself at the top, ahead of national icon Kaori Sakamoto and rising star Mone Chiba.

Japan finished first, second, and fourth on Tuesday, cementing a formidable presence heading into the free skate on Thursday. American Alysa Liu finished third.

Nakai's clean, confident skate was anchored by a soaring triple Axel. She approached the moment with an ease unusual for an Olympic debut.

"I'm not here at this Olympics with the goal of achieving a high result, I'm really looking forward to enjoying this Olympics as much as I can, till the very last moment," she said.

"Since this is my first Olympics, I had nothing to lose, and that mindset definitely translated into my results," she said.

Her carefree confidence has unexpectedly put her in medal contention, though she cannot imagine herself surpassing Sakamoto, the three-time world champion who is skating the final chapter of her competitive career. Nakai scored 78.71 points in the short program, ahead of Sakamoto's 77.23.

"There's no way I stand a chance against Kaori right now," Nakai said. "I'm just enjoying these Olympics and trying my best."

Sakamoto, 25, who has said she will retire after these Games, is chasing the one accolade missing from her resume: Olympic gold.

Having already secured a bronze in Beijing in 2022 and team silvers in both Beijing and Milan, she now aims to cap her career with an individual title.

She delivered a polished short program to "Time to Say Goodbye," earning a standing ovation.

Sakamoto later said she managed her nerves well and felt satisfied, adding that having three Japanese skaters in the top four spots "really proves that Japan is getting stronger". She did not feel unnerved about finishing behind Nakai, who also bested her at the Grand Prix de France in October.

"I expected to be surpassed after she landed a triple Axel ... but the most important thing is how much I can concentrate on my own performance, do my best, stay focused for the free skate," she said.

Chiba placed fourth and said she felt energised heading into the free skate, especially after choosing to perform to music from the soundtrack of "Romeo and Juliet" in Italy.

"The rankings are really decided in the free program, so I'll just try to stay calm and focused in the free program and perform my own style without any mistakes," said the 20-year-old, widely regarded as the rising all-rounder whose steady ascent has made her one of Japan's most promising skaters.

All three skaters mentioned how seeing Japanese pair Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara deliver a stunning comeback, storming from fifth place after a shaky short program to capture Japan's first Olympic figure skating pairs gold medal, inspired them.

"I was really moved by Riku and Ryuichi last night," Chiba said. "The three of us girls talked about trying to live up to that standard."


PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.