Iran Escalates Rhetoric, Vows to Make Aggressor’s Land the Battlefield

Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) chief commander Hossein Salami (EPA)
Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) chief commander Hossein Salami (EPA)
TT

Iran Escalates Rhetoric, Vows to Make Aggressor’s Land the Battlefield

Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) chief commander Hossein Salami (EPA)
Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) chief commander Hossein Salami (EPA)

Iran threatened that it would retaliate any attack targeting it, in response to the US decision to send military reinforcements to Gulf states, where head of the Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Maj-Gen Hossein Salami asserted that Tehran will pursue any aggressor, even if it carries out a limited attack.

“Whoever wants their land to become the main battlefield, go ahead,” he told a news conference in Tehran.

Salami asserted that Iran will never allow any war to encroach upon its territory, hoping that other states don’t make a strategic mistake.

Salami's comments come a week after attacks on Aramco’s oil facilities in Saudi Arabia, which were adopted by Houthi rebels in Yemen, but Riyadh and Washington attributed to Iran.

Earlier this month, missile attacks targeted Khurais oil facility in eastern Saudi Arabia, and the largest crude oil refinery in the world located in Abqaiq, about two hundred kilometers northeast of Khurais.

The attacks have raised fears of a military confrontation between Iran and the US, especially after the Tehran downed a US drone in June.

Salami was speaking at Tehran’s Islamic Revolution and Holy Defense museum during the unveiling of an exhibition of what Iran says are US and other drones captured in its territory.

“What are your drones doing in our airspace? We will shoot them down, shoot anything that encroaches on our airspace,” Salami addressed Washington, noting Iran had overcome “US technological dominance” in air defense and drone manufacture.

The conference also featured a badly damaged drone with US military markings said to be an RQ-4 Global Hawk that Iran downed in June, as well as an intact RQ-170 Sentinel captured in 2011.

“We will target anyone who violates our borders. This issue is clear and we announce it clearly, so that you know that we will announce any action we do,” he asserted.

Meanwhile, Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammed Javad Zarif warned Thursday of an “all-out war” if the US or Saudi Arabia launches military strikes in retaliation.

“I make a very serious statement about defending our country. I am making a very serious statement that we don’t want to engage in a military confrontation,” he said, adding that a military response based on “deception” about the weekend attacks would cause “a lot of casualties.”

US State Secretary Mike Pompeo said the US is still striving to build out a coalition in an act of diplomacy while Iran’s FM is threatening with war.

“We'd like a peaceful resolution,” asserted Pompeo, hoping Iran sees it the same way.

Earlier, US President Donald Trump said he believed his military restraint so far showed “strength,” as he instead imposed another round of economic sanctions on Tehran.

“Because the easiest thing I could do, ‘Okay, go ahead. Knock out 15 different major things in Iran... But I’m not looking to do that if I can,” Trump told reporters at the White House.

Tensions have been on the rise between Iran and the US since Washington unilaterally withdrew in May 2018 from a nuclear deal and subsequent tough sanctions on Iran.

On Friday, Trump announced new sanctions against Iran's banking sector, especially the central bank, and US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said this means there will be no money going to IRGC.

Zarif also condemned the most recent US sanctions against Iran’s Central Bank and its national reserve fund, saying “it is a sign of desperation,” insisting that the sanctions are directed at the Iranian people who will not be able to get food and medicine.

The FM noted that the US pulled out of the deal and the negotiating table is open and “it was the US who left it.”

However, Zarif indicated that in the world of diplomacy nothing is impossible, but in the current conditions, it does not seem like an arrangement can be made in the remaining few days.



Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.