Erling Braut Haaland, the Norwegian ‘Beast’ Ripping up the Record Books

 Erling Braut Haaland celebrates scoring Red Bull Salzburg’s first goal in the second minute of his first Champions League game. Photograph: Leonhard Föger/Reuters
Erling Braut Haaland celebrates scoring Red Bull Salzburg’s first goal in the second minute of his first Champions League game. Photograph: Leonhard Föger/Reuters
TT

Erling Braut Haaland, the Norwegian ‘Beast’ Ripping up the Record Books

 Erling Braut Haaland celebrates scoring Red Bull Salzburg’s first goal in the second minute of his first Champions League game. Photograph: Leonhard Föger/Reuters
Erling Braut Haaland celebrates scoring Red Bull Salzburg’s first goal in the second minute of his first Champions League game. Photograph: Leonhard Föger/Reuters

“This year I’ve only grown five centimetres,” Erling Braut Haaland said in an interview in November 2017, a statement which, understandably, led the journalist to query the “only” part. “Well, last year I grew 11-12 centimetres,” came the reply from the then 17-year-old.

No wonder they called him “the manchild” at Molde, where he had his breakthrough that year. “He must have put on 10-12 kilos since he arrived here at the start of the year,” said his then manager, Ole Gunnar Solskjær, before adding “it’s all muscles of course – as well as a lot of confidence”.

Haaland, son of the former Manchester City and Leeds United midfielder Alfie Håland and born in Yorkshire, was not always destined for success. “The first time he turned up at Molde I didn’t think he was all that,” Ruben Gabrielsen, a former teammate, told Nettavisen recently. “But then he developed in a way I’ve never seen in my whole life. He is stronger than he looks and he is a lot quicker than he looks – he is a beast.”

A beast is not a bad description. Just ask the Genk defenders who felt the force of the now 19-year-old Red Bull Salzburg striker on Tuesday as he scored a hat-trick on his Champions League debut, a feat not achieved since Wayne Rooney in 2004. The first goal arrived after 102 seconds, the Norwegian rifling a low shot underneath Gaëtan Coucke in the Genk goal. The second was scored with his left foot and the third was an opportunistic stab past Coucke from inside the six-yard box.

The game finished 6-2 and afterwards Haaland’s teammate Maximilian Wöber could hardly contain his glee, saying: “He is phenomenal. With his height, to be so nimble and have such command of the ball. It’s really hard to play against him in training – you just have to foul him. Once again he proved why he’s definitely going to become one of the best strikers in the world.”

It may sound a ridiculous statement, but this is one extremely talented and hard-working young man. His career is being meticulously planned by his father and, almost inevitably, Mino Raiola and he has already changed his name from Håland to Haaland, one suspects to make it more international. “One step ahead,” he said with a smile when asked about it.

One step ahead indeed. He arrived at Molde in January 2017 after 16 games and no goals for Bryne in the second tier. Then he got to work. Along with the centimetres and the kilos came the goals. He scored four in 20 games in 2017 before hitting 12 in 25 appearances the following year, including a remarkable four-goal haul against league leaders Brann in July. Before the game Brann had conceded five goals in 14 games but Haaland took only 20 minutes to destroy that defence.

His decision to join Salzburg in January 2019 raised eyebrows as he had offers from Juventus and Bayer Leverkusen among others. Salzburg had to pay around £8m but that already seems like one of the deals of the decade.

“I was obviously flattered by Juventus being interested,” he said in January, before adding “but I thought that it was to early to go there. Salzburg was the club that suited me the best and they were the ones who wanted me the most. I also think it was very important to look at how important a part I was going to play for the club I joined. There is more of a chance of playing here.”

Haaland has a remarkable 17 goals in nine games for Salzburg this season and in May he scored nine goals in an Under-20 World Cup game against Honduras. Afterwards he said that he should have got 10 and no one was quite sure whether he was joking.

Erling Braut Haaland celebrates one of his nine goals against Honduras at the Under-20 World Cup in May. Photograph: Alex Livesey/Fifa via Getty Images
Like many talented 19-year-olds he does want to become the best player on the planet but he is taking one step at the time. “That’s the dream yes, but a dream I share with a million other young players in the world,” he said this year. “First of all I got to become better than my dad and he had 181 Premier League games so that is one aim for example: to get more games there than him.”

Manchester United are one of several clubs who have been linked with Haaland, who has praised Solskjær for the role the manager played in his development, but considering his father’s City past and that horrible Roy Keane tackle on his father that may be an unlikely destination. Haaland is a Leeds fan, having been born in the city, and has said he would like to win the Premier League with the club, although they will have to improve drastically for Haaland to contemplate a move to Elland Road (and he has played for Norway’s senior side so there is no chance of him declaring for the country of his birth).

For now, though, he is fully focused on Red Bull Salzburg. “It is not right to talk about other clubs when you are with a team and they are paying your wages,” Alfie Håland said recently. “You have to focus on your current club and give everything for them.”

For Haaland that means Austrian Bundesliga games against LASK, Rapid Vienna and Austria Vienna before the next Champions League game, against Liverpool at Anfield on 2 October. And the chances of this latest success going to his head appear remote. His Salzburg manager, Jesse Marsch, praised Haaland after the game against Genk, saying what a genuine and down-to-earth person he is. “He is a great player but even more important for me is that he’s a great young man,” the American said. “He shows up every day, he works hard and takes nothing for granted. He gives everything for his teammates every day and does it with a smile.”

According to Haaland his approach to life and football stems from his early years in Norway. “Without my upbringing in Bryne I would not be where I am today,” he said recently. “We have a special environment there. It has always contributed towards me not thinking that I am not something special. I have always been humble, worked hard and not thought much about other things.”

Humble yet devastating, Haaland could become one of the best in the world. For many players a Champions League hat-trick would be the pinnacle of their careers but for this young man it is probably just the start.

The Guardian Sport



Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.


Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
TT

Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs

Ukrainian officials will boycott the Paralympic Winter Games, Kyiv said Wednesday, after the International Paralympic Committee allowed Russian athletes to compete under their national flag.

Ukraine also urged other countries to shun next month's Opening Ceremony in Verona on March 6, in part of a growing standoff between Kyiv and international sporting federations four years after Russia invaded.

Six Russians and four Belarusians will be allowed to take part under their own flags at the Milan-Cortina Paralympics rather than as neutral athletes, the Games' governing body confirmed to AFP on Tuesday.

Russia has been mostly banned from international sport since Moscow invaded Ukraine. The IPC's decision triggered fury in Ukraine.

Ukraine's sports minister Matviy Bidny called the decision "outrageous", and accused Russia and Belarus of turning "sport into a tool of war, lies, and contempt."

"Ukrainian public officials will not attend the Paralympic Games. We will not be present at the opening ceremony," he said on social media.

"We will not take part in any other official Paralympic events," he added.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said he had instructed Kyiv's ambassadors to urge other countries to also shun the opening ceremony.

"Allowing the flags of aggressor states to be raised at the Paralympic Games while Russia's war against Ukraine rages on is wrong -- morally and politically," Sybiga said on social media.

The EU's sports commissioner Glenn Micallef said he would also skip the opening ceremony.

- Kyiv demands apology -

The IPC's decision comes amid already heightened tensions between Ukraine and the International Olympic Committee, overseeing the Winter Olympics currently underway.

The IOC banned Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych for refusing to ditch a helmet depicting victims of the war with Russia.

Ukraine was further angered that the woman chosen to carry the "Ukraine" name card and lead its team out during the Opening Ceremony of the Games was revealed to be Russian.

Media reports called the woman an anti-Kremlin Russian woman living in Milan for years.

"Picking a Russian person to carry the nameplate is despicable," Kyiv's foreign ministry spokesman Georgiy Tykhy said at a briefing in response to a question by AFP.

He called it a "severe violation of the Olympic Charter" and demanded an apology.

And Kyiv also riled earlier this month at FIFA boss Gianni Infantino saying he believed it was time to reinstate Russia in international football.

- 'War, lies and contempt' -

Valeriy Sushkevych, president of the Ukrainian Paralympic Committee told AFP on Tuesday that Kyiv's athletes would not boycott the Paralympics.

Ukraine traditionally performs strongly at the Winter Paralympics, coming second in the medals table four years ago in Beijing.

"If we do not go, it would mean allowing Putin to claim a victory over Ukrainian Paralympians and over Ukraine by excluding us from the Games," said the 71-year-old in an interview.

"That will not happen!"

Russia was awarded two slots in alpine skiing, two in cross-country skiing and two in snowboarding. The four Belarusian slots are all in cross-country skiing.

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) said earlier those athletes would be "treated like (those from) any other country".

The IPC unexpectedly lifted its suspension on Russian and Belarusian athletes at the organisation's general assembly in September.


'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
TT

'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)

Ami Nakai entered her first Olympics insisting she was not here for medals — but after the short program at the Milano Cortina Games, the 17-year-old figure skater found herself at the top, ahead of national icon Kaori Sakamoto and rising star Mone Chiba.

Japan finished first, second, and fourth on Tuesday, cementing a formidable presence heading into the free skate on Thursday. American Alysa Liu finished third.

Nakai's clean, confident skate was anchored by a soaring triple Axel. She approached the moment with an ease unusual for an Olympic debut.

"I'm not here at this Olympics with the goal of achieving a high result, I'm really looking forward to enjoying this Olympics as much as I can, till the very last moment," she said.

"Since this is my first Olympics, I had nothing to lose, and that mindset definitely translated into my results," she said.

Her carefree confidence has unexpectedly put her in medal contention, though she cannot imagine herself surpassing Sakamoto, the three-time world champion who is skating the final chapter of her competitive career. Nakai scored 78.71 points in the short program, ahead of Sakamoto's 77.23.

"There's no way I stand a chance against Kaori right now," Nakai said. "I'm just enjoying these Olympics and trying my best."

Sakamoto, 25, who has said she will retire after these Games, is chasing the one accolade missing from her resume: Olympic gold.

Having already secured a bronze in Beijing in 2022 and team silvers in both Beijing and Milan, she now aims to cap her career with an individual title.

She delivered a polished short program to "Time to Say Goodbye," earning a standing ovation.

Sakamoto later said she managed her nerves well and felt satisfied, adding that having three Japanese skaters in the top four spots "really proves that Japan is getting stronger". She did not feel unnerved about finishing behind Nakai, who also bested her at the Grand Prix de France in October.

"I expected to be surpassed after she landed a triple Axel ... but the most important thing is how much I can concentrate on my own performance, do my best, stay focused for the free skate," she said.

Chiba placed fourth and said she felt energised heading into the free skate, especially after choosing to perform to music from the soundtrack of "Romeo and Juliet" in Italy.

"The rankings are really decided in the free program, so I'll just try to stay calm and focused in the free program and perform my own style without any mistakes," said the 20-year-old, widely regarded as the rising all-rounder whose steady ascent has made her one of Japan's most promising skaters.

All three skaters mentioned how seeing Japanese pair Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara deliver a stunning comeback, storming from fifth place after a shaky short program to capture Japan's first Olympic figure skating pairs gold medal, inspired them.

"I was really moved by Riku and Ryuichi last night," Chiba said. "The three of us girls talked about trying to live up to that standard."