Mario Balotelli Melts Hearts on His Scoring Return to Naples With Brescia

 Brescia’s Mario Balotelli with his daughter Pia, wearing a Napoli kit, before the Serie A match at the Stadio San Paolo. Photograph: Cesare Abbate/EPA
Brescia’s Mario Balotelli with his daughter Pia, wearing a Napoli kit, before the Serie A match at the Stadio San Paolo. Photograph: Cesare Abbate/EPA
TT

Mario Balotelli Melts Hearts on His Scoring Return to Naples With Brescia

 Brescia’s Mario Balotelli with his daughter Pia, wearing a Napoli kit, before the Serie A match at the Stadio San Paolo. Photograph: Cesare Abbate/EPA
Brescia’s Mario Balotelli with his daughter Pia, wearing a Napoli kit, before the Serie A match at the Stadio San Paolo. Photograph: Cesare Abbate/EPA

Mario Balotelli scored his first goal for his hometown club on Sunday, not that he needed it to make headlines. He had stolen the show as soon as he emerged from the tunnel at the Stadio San Paolo, carrying his six-year-old daughter, Pia. She stayed with him all through the pre-game handshakes before Brescia’s match against Napoli, then went to join her mother, Raffaella Fico, in the stands.

The tenderness of their interactions would have melted hearts under any circumstances. But there was a layer of history here as well. In 2014, Balotelli wept for Pia in the away dugout at this same stadium, overwhelmed by emotions in the week when his paternity was confirmed by a DNA test.

So many things were different back then. Balotelli was playing for Milan, and starting regularly for the Italian national team. He occupied a space at the centre of a nation’s attention, his turbulent relationship with Fico a favourite topic of gossip magazines. Days earlier, Gazzetta dello Sport had dedicated a full front page to his haircut.

You could hardly say that Balotelli has a low profile today, but the context has certainly changed. His star waned during consecutive difficult seasons with Liverpool and then back at Milan. The striker found happier homes in Nice and Marseille, but he was still out of sight and out of mind for many Italians. Of Balotelli’s 36 caps for the Azzurri, only three have arrived in the past five years.

Perhaps, on a personal level, a bit of space was exactly what he needed. Balotelli’s relationship with Fico has certainly improved. He did not get to meet Pia for the first time until a family court date two months after his tears against Napoli. These days he sees her regularly, and shares jokes with Fico on social media.

If Balotelli could have had things all his own way this summer, they would all be closer still. Pia lives with Fico in Naples. In March, Balotelli told the newspaper La Provence that Napoli were the only team in Italy that he wanted to play for. That was before Brescia won promotion to the top flight. The idea that Balotelli could ever represent his own city’s club might have seemed fanciful while they were toiling in Serie B. Frankly, it still did even after they finished in first place.

But Brescia are owned by Massimo Cellino these days, a man fond of making headlines of his own. He appealed to Balotelli’s emotions and made it clear that he was willing to shatter the club’s wage structure. It was enough to overcome the player’s reluctance to get involved in a relegation scrap. Balotelli soon found joy in familiar surroundings. “The most beautiful thing is getting to eat lunch and dinner with my mum,” he told the broadcaster Dazn. “The last time I ate regularly with my mum I was 14 years old.”

Suspended for the first four games of the new season, thanks to a red card he received for a dangerous challenge in his final appearance for Marseille, Balotelli made his debut in Tuesday’s home defeat against Juventus. To go from there to an away game against Napoli represented about as challenging a reintroduction to Serie A as can be imagined.

The fixture list had already done no favours to Brescia, handing them just one home game out of the first four. And yet, they were competitive even without Balotelli. Alfredo Donnarumma – Serie B’s top scorer last season – already had three goals in four matches before adding another against Juventus. Sandro Tonali has been a revelation in midfield, a 19-year-old who dictates the tempo and direction of a game as though he has been doing it for a lifetime.

The latter would sparkle once again on Sunday. Napoli jumped out to an early lead against Brescia, Dries Mertens converting José Callejón’s clumsy cutback before Kostas Manolas – having already seen one goal (rightly) disallowed – made it 2-0 on the stroke of half-time. Brescia, though, refused to be overawed. Tonali thought he had reduced the arrears with a beautifully-struck first-time shot from the edge of the box shortly after the break, but a VAR review found that Dimitri Bisoli had fouled Nikola Maksimovic to win back possession in the build-up.

Instead, it would be Balotelli who scored next: heading home from a Tonali corner. It was his first goal in Serie A for 1,468 days. He celebrated with the same understated manner that he has for so many others: raising a simple thumbs-up towards his teammate as he turned to jog back towards the centre-circle.

It was not enough to rescue a draw for Brescia, though they pressed hard against opponents who lost both of their starting centre-backs – Manolas and Maksimovic – to injury in the second half. But Balotelli’s goal and smooth integration will provide further encouragement to a side that has stayed true to their attack-minded and ambitious footballing identity under Eugenio Corini.

For Balotelli himself, the abiding memory of this match would simply be that moment before kick-off with his daughter. He posted a picture on Instagram later in the day, describing it as a “dream come true”.

Among the ‘likes’ it received was one from the Italy manager, Roberto Mancini. They, too, have shared history, title winners together at Manchester City. At 29 years old, Balotelli hopes there is time yet for their relationship to flourish anew as well.

The Guardian Sport



Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.


Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
TT

Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)

Lindsey Vonn is back home in the US following a week of treatment at a hospital in Italy after breaking her left leg in the Olympic downhill at the Milan Cortina Games.

“Haven’t stood on my feet in over a week... been in a hospital bed immobile since my race. And although I’m not yet able to stand, being back on home soil feels amazing,” Vonn posted on X with an American flag emoji. “Huge thank you to everyone in Italy for taking good care of me.”

The 41-year-old Vonn suffered a complex tibia fracture that has already been operated on multiple times following her Feb. 8 crash. She has said she'll need more surgery in the US.

Nine days before her fall in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn ruptured the ACL in her left knee in another crash in Switzerland.

Even before then, all eyes had been on her as the feel-good story heading into the Olympics for her comeback after nearly six years of retirement.