Asharq Al-awsat English https://aawsat.com/english Middle-east and International News and Opinion from Asharq Al-awsat Newspaper http://feedly.com/icon.svg

Saudi Arabia Underscores Commitment to Yemen Truce

Saudi Arabia Underscores Commitment to Yemen Truce

Saturday, 5 October, 2019 - 05:15
Saudi Deputy Defense Minister Khalid bin Salman. (Reuters)

Saudi Arabia stressed on Friday its commitment to the truce in Yemen, while accusing the Iranian regime of manipulating the war-torn country for its own goals.


Deputy Defense Minister Khalid bin Salman said: “Saudi Arabia positively welcomes the truce, which is what the Kingdom has always called for.”


He also demanded that it be implemented effectively on the ground.


Moreover, he tweeted that the Iranian regime’s talk of the truce and linking it to its attempts to end its own crises is a “cheap attempt to manipulate Yemen and its people.”


Tehran is exploiting the crisis to escape blame from its terrorist acts, said Prince Khalid.


“It is time for the Yemenis, all Yemenis, and us with them to stand united against the Iranian regime’s agenda of chaos, strife and destruction,” he stressed.


Furthermore, he slammed Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammed Javad Zarif for blaming the Yemeni people for the attack last month on Saudi Aramco’s Abqaiq and Khurais oil facilities.


In a televised interview with CNN in September, Zarif said that Tehran was not behind the attack.


The Iran-backed Houthi militias in Yemen had claimed responsibility for the attack, a claim that has been dismissed by Saudi Arabia, the United States and Europe, who have pinned blame on Tehran.


Asked by CNN if he believes that the Houthis were behind the attack, Zarif said that the militias had claimed to have carried it out.


"I cannot have any confidence that they did it because we just heard their statement," he added. "I know that we didn't do it. I know that the Houthis made a statement that they did it."


Editor Picks

Multimedia