Syria: Formation of Constitutional Committee Initiates 'Normalization Battle' With Damascus

UN envoy Geir Pedersen (AFP)
UN envoy Geir Pedersen (AFP)
TT

Syria: Formation of Constitutional Committee Initiates 'Normalization Battle' With Damascus

UN envoy Geir Pedersen (AFP)
UN envoy Geir Pedersen (AFP)

The formation of the Syrian Constitutional Committee and its rules of action put forward the battle of normalization with Damascus and the restoration of legitimacy to the Syrian regime, between Russia's rush to bring Syria back to the Arab family on one hand, and US's adherence to “isolating” Damascus on the other.

Last month, UN envoy Geir Pedersen and Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem agreed on the list of 150 candidates for the Constitutional Committee and its rules.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres announced the “political achievement” and declared the committee’s first meeting in Geneva on October 30.

Meanwhile, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told Asharq Al-Awsat that the breakthrough came based on the decision of the Syrian National Dialogue Conference in Sochi, and within achievements of the three Astana guarantor countries: Russia, Turkey, and Iran.

Lavrov said he welcomes the formation of the constitutional committee, pointing out that progress on the political track will address the need for Syria to return to the “Arab family,” which namely depends on Saudi Arabia’s position.

Moallem said after an accidental meeting with Arab League Secretary-General Ahmed Aboul Gheit in New York, that the Arab League should return to Syria “to become Arab.”

Aboul Gheit said that the time has not come for Syria to return to the Arab League.

“Not yet...This answer still holds in the Arab arena, even though [several] Arab countries have restored their relations with Syria and opened embassies there. The collective Arab will has not yet arrived at the moment when it announces that we have no problem with the regime in Syria,” said Arab League Sec-Gen.

He said when matters stabilize and the new Syria sets out on its path: “I anticipate its return to its seat in the Arab League. There is a most important matter - that the new Syria will not fall into the arms of Iran. This is a central Arab condition that will allow Syria to return to the Arab League."

Meanwhile, US Syria Envoy Ambassador James Jeffrey urged the Arab League to confront any efforts to bring the Assad regime back before meeting the criteria set out in Resolution 2254.

He added that any attempt to welcome the Assad regime again in the League, or the resumption of relations with it, would undermine the collective efforts to move towards a lasting, peaceful and political solution to the ongoing conflict in Syria.

US and UK led efforts to install elements of the political situation through a meeting of foreign ministers in New York including Egypt, France, Germany, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Britain, and the US.

EU High Representative Federica Mogherini and UN Envoy Pederson also called for a meeting on the sidelines of the UN Assembly General Assembly.

The countries welcomed the UN’s declaration that “an agreement was reached with all concerned parties to form a credible, balanced, comprehensive, Syria-owned and Syria-led constitutional committee.”

They described it as a “long-awaited positive step”, which still requires a serious commitment and a pledge to deliver promises to succeed.

The countries reiterated the importance of providing a suitable and neutral environment for the political process that enables Syrians of holding free, credible and fair elections, under the auspices of the United Nations, in a way that allows the participation of displaced citizens, refugees, and migrants.

They also confirmed their support to all efforts to hold all violators of international humanitarian law and international human rights law accountable, including those responsible for crimes against humanity.

Meanwhile, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced that his country has concluded that the Assad regime used chlorine as a chemical weapon in May in an attack on Latakia.

“Today I am announcing that the United States has concluded that the Assad regime used chlorine as a chemical weapon on 19 May,” Pompeo said.

UK supported the US’ position in imposing new sanctions on Syrian entities.

So far, there have been no fundamental changes in the positions of European countries and the US on the conditions of “normalizing” relations with Damascus, “legitimizing the regime”, and contributing to the reconstruction of Syria.

However, some European countries are concerned about this matter, especially after Hungary announced the opening of its embassy in Damascus, which prompted the call for meetings before the European Ministerial Meeting in Brussels mid-month.

Meanwhile, France presented a document that set four conditions for the “restoration of legitimacy”, and the recognition of the results of the elections, including “full UN supervision” on the parliamentary elections next year, and the presidential one in 2021.

Paris proposed four principles for accepting the polls, such as: establishing confidence-building measures on the ground, to create an atmosphere to ensure that the electoral process is credible.

It also wants guarantees that ensure the safe access of internally displaced people and refugees to polling stations.

Third, France wants concessional legal and practical conditions for the pluralistic voting, especially with 12 million refugees and internally displaced people in Syria, adding that it is crucial that all Syrian diaspora citizens can vote, and have the right to stand in the upcoming elections.

Finally, the paper conditions the United Nations’ supervision of the elections to provide strict neutrality in the electoral process and prevent any form of manipulation.

The document stated the position of the European Union countries, and that they are fully prepared to play their role in the reconstruction of Syria, in the event of a real comprehensive political transition, based on Security Council resolution 2254.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.