Mauricio Pochettino and His Broken Spurs Hit Their Lowest Ebb

Harry Winks and the Tottenham players apologised to the travelling fans after the defeat at Brighton. Photograph: Bryn Lennon/Getty Images
Harry Winks and the Tottenham players apologised to the travelling fans after the defeat at Brighton. Photograph: Bryn Lennon/Getty Images
TT

Mauricio Pochettino and His Broken Spurs Hit Their Lowest Ebb

Harry Winks and the Tottenham players apologised to the travelling fans after the defeat at Brighton. Photograph: Bryn Lennon/Getty Images
Harry Winks and the Tottenham players apologised to the travelling fans after the defeat at Brighton. Photograph: Bryn Lennon/Getty Images

If looks could kill there would now be a crime scene at the mixed zone in Brighton’s stadium, around the spot where Eric Dier stopped to speak to those who wanted to make sense of how Mauricio Pochettino’s Tottenham tenure is unraveling. Dier is a laid-back guy but he is big and extremely tough, and there was genuine menace about the long pauses before some of his answers.

Spurs had been dismal in losing 3-0 to a team who had previously not won at home since 2 March, and the nonperformance came hard on the heels of the 7-2 Champions League humbling against Bayern Munich in north London last Tuesday.

“The situation is clear,” Dier said. “We are obviously going through a difficult period and that’s the end of the situation.”

So, does he think the talk of crisis is too strong?

“No. If you lose like we’ve lost in these last two games, it’s normal,” Dier replied. “For us, this is the worst period we’ve been in but we have to be, like we are right now, all together and push through it.”

Is the stuff about the squad being unsettled and it being the end of the cycle not the case then?

“I know it’s not the case,” Dier said. “That’s what I think. My opinion.”

Harry Winks echoed the mood of defiance and at times such as these, it should be noted that it is not easy for players to front up. Lesser characters than Dier and Winks do not bother. Spurs need personality, a united front, and so this was a good look.

“It’s important we don’t get carried away with things and look too deeply for people to blame for how poor we’ve been,” Winks said. “At the end of the game we went over to our fans and apologized because we are Tottenham Hotspur and that performance wasn’t good enough. To all the fans who watched this and all those who traveled, we apologize.

“For the majority of the season, we haven’t shown what we are about. It’s important we reflect and realize it’s not been good enough. No excuses. The manager has been fantastic ever since he’s been at the club and he’s taken us to new heights. We are going through a bit of a rough patch – that happens in football, every club goes through it. It’s important we stand up as men and get through these dark times.”

Spurs are under siege and perhaps the international break has come at a good time for them. The brutal truth on the pitch was that it looked as though something was broken in the team and the question that tracked them from Brighton to London was whether Pochettino can fix it.

Just before managers are dismissed by clubs, or they choose to walk away, there is always a moment when the players look passive to the point of helplessness; they are off the pace and their opponents play around and through them too easily. Goals go in without much resistance being shown. The negative momentum consumes them and, despite the players’ best efforts and all the fighting talk, the situation seems irretrievable. Spurs ticked all of the unwanted boxes on Saturday.

Hugo Lloris’s gruesome elbow dislocation in the act of giving up the first goal to Neal Maupay on three minutes set a horrible tone and Dier questioned why a replay of the goalkeeper’s arm bending in the wrong direction was shown on the big screen. “They showed it, I’m not quite sure why – so we saw,” he said. Yet it was the latest example of Spurs caving in after a setback, of the insecurity that has come to color the mood around the team.

Pochettino is said to be “honest and calm” about the escalating situation and if one Spurs manager deserves the time to turn things around, it is him. What the Argentinian has done for the club since 2014 and the never-to-be-forgotten highs he has provided have been well-documented. The traveling fans chanted his name inside 30 seconds at the Amex, although there would be boos from the same enclosure when he substituted Son Heung-min in the 73rd minute.

Pochettino has time to reflect over the next week or so and, essentially, to ask himself whether he retains the confidence and motivation to drive an upturn in form which has been poor for a long period. The team have won just nine of 29 matches in all competitions.

The players, too, need to return for the home game against Watford on Saturday week with renewed focus and vigor and, in some cases, that means trying to put to one side the gripes about money, contracts and transfer opportunities that they have had. Spurs, and Pochettino, are at the lowest of ebbs.

(The Guardian)



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.