Miracle of Burnley: Inside the Premier League’s Most Unlikely Success Story

Burnley’s chairman Mike Garlick. ‘We have to have value in everything we do,’ he says. Photograph: Martin Godwin/The Guardian
Burnley’s chairman Mike Garlick. ‘We have to have value in everything we do,’ he says. Photograph: Martin Godwin/The Guardian
TT

Miracle of Burnley: Inside the Premier League’s Most Unlikely Success Story

Burnley’s chairman Mike Garlick. ‘We have to have value in everything we do,’ he says. Photograph: Martin Godwin/The Guardian
Burnley’s chairman Mike Garlick. ‘We have to have value in everything we do,’ he says. Photograph: Martin Godwin/The Guardian

A Frenchman, a Spaniard and two Belgians walk into a pub in Burnley. There is no punchline. The four are drinking in the Royal Dyche before Burnley’s win over Everton and their presence gives a little demonstration of the impact close to four years of Premier League football and seven years of Sean Dyche have had on a club that takes neither for granted. Whether others outside Turf Moor recognize the scale of achievement is open to question.

“A number of years ago I used to think: ‘Does anyone recognise the enormity of where this club was to where it is now?’” says Dyche, who will mark seven years as the Burnley manager on Wednesday. “But I’m really not that precious about it now. The staff, the players, the board and chief exec know what we do and I think the fans do too. They are the important parties. We work authentically and honestly.” Qualities that may appear unfashionable amid the glitz of the Premier League have made Burnley something of a role model.

Stéphane Blach, Camilo Guerra, Bernard Brasseur and Laurent Titeux are the overseas visitors for the Everton game. Work colleagues in Luxembourg, the four take in two Premier League matches over one weekend every year and have chosen Burnley for the second season running because, they insist, the atmosphere at Turf Moor is superior to most other stadiums visited. And because they love the Royal Dyche, renamed last year after a joke about celebrating the Burnley manager if he took the club into Europe became a promise.

There can be no greater honour for the man whose face adorns the claret-and-sky-blue walls, the Henry VIII-style sign above the door and has even been carved into a tree stump in the beer garden.

“I don’t think we would have heard of Burnley if it wasn’t for the club being in the Premier League,” Guerra says. “We went to London for a few years, then Manchester and from there we discovered Burnley. It is amazing here. The people are super friendly.”

The four were staying in Manchester, where they watch City’s defeat by Wolves the day after Jeff Hendrick’s winner against Everton lifted Burnley briefly into fourth place in the richest league on the planet. Burnley cannot compete with Manchester or Liverpool as a draw for football tourists, nor does it measure itself that way, and the town center is relatively quiet – numerous empty shops on St James’s Street reflecting problems nationwide – considering a Premier League game is an hour from kicking off nearby. Yet its football club continues to thrive, not merely survive.

Burnley’s Barnfield training ground, its pitches once prone to flooding, has been rebuilt and brought into the 21st century at a cost of more than £10m. The club’s last published accounts, for 2017-18, showed a record profit of £45m and no outstanding bank or directors’ loans. A turnover of £139m was the joint 13th highest in the Premier League and only two clubs had a smaller wage bill than Burnley’s £82m. Wages have since increased but to progress in a league where Manchester United’s turnover and wage bills were £590m and £296m respectively that same season, and to do so for four seasons (one season more than Jimmy Adamson’s team enjoyed in the top flight in the 1970s), is testament to the meticulous planning and decision-making of Dyche and the Burnley board.

“The main thing you have to get right as a chairman is to pick the right manager,” says Mike Garlick, the Burnley chairman. “If you do that you are halfway there at least. Sean has been key. We had Eddie Howe before that but location-wise it just didn’t suit Eddie and his family, so it didn’t quite work out. Another great manager.”

Garlick is speaking in the London office of Michael Bailey Associates, the workforce project management and consulting company he founded in 1989 and now heads as its chief executive officer. His roots are unmistakably Burnley, however, and most of his fellow directors are from the area. The club’s success has been homegrown.

“I was born in the town, about 400 yards from the club,” the chairman says. “I went to school there, then went to uni and came to London to seek my fortune. When I was 18 I told my dad I wanted to be chairman of Burnley one day. He said: ‘You must be bloody crackers son.’ It was a lifelong ambition to do this. I think one of the reasons we do so well is that myself and the other directors are all fairly local and we all really care. We are not there to pick up a wage. No director gets paid. You get a night in a hotel paid for but that’s it.

“I proudly state that I am the Premier League’s poorest owner. Everyone else is a billionaire, virtually. But I am proud of that and what we have achieved because we have had to sweat every asset both on and off the pitch to get the best from it.

“That means working really cleverly in the transfer market, looking for value – and if we don’t see that value we don’t buy. Sometimes that drives the fans up the wall but we have to have value in everything we do.

“It could be a young player that we think could do well for us and we could sell on for a profit or an older player we think could add value to the squad now. All we can do is live within our means. We don’t have the lowest budget in the Premier League any more – other clubs who have come up have a lower budget this season – but it is certainly not top half. I can’t go into real detail but we probably have the most aggressive bonus scheme in the league in terms of staying up and finishing higher up the Premier League. We stretch our players as much as we can on the pitch to achieve the best and if they do that they get the rewards.”

Garlick recoils at the suggestion that Burnley have established themselves in the Premier League. “No such thing,” he says but chairman and manager are clearly aligned on what Dyche described as the “incremental improvements” that must be made in a fiercely competitive field.

“Priority number one was the training ground,” the chairman says. “Priority number two is probably to expand the corporate facilities because there is a long waiting list. One of the plans in the medium term is to build more executive boxes because we just haven’t got enough to meet demand. We are selling out every game … maybe refurb or rebuild some of the stands because some of them are quite ageing now but we will do it slowly. It has to be when the time is right for us but things will happen slowly but surely.”

One of the criticisms leveled at the Burnley board by supporters is their spending in the transfer market – or indeed, lack of – with Chris Wood and Ben Gibson the club’s joint record signings at £15m apiece.

“There are still challenges because we have to look at flexing the financial model because the game is outrunning us financially,” Dyche admits. “It is an ongoing challenge but if you looked at it on a piece of paper, about how to plan out a possible successful period, then I think we are a good model for how to build something.”

Garlick says: “We have seen so many clubs locally who have fallen on hard times – Bolton, Bury, even Blackburn to a degree. The fans don’t want that to happen to our club, so I think they appreciate the sensible approach. But ultimately fans want to win things. I’m a fan, too. Managers always want to spend too because they are ambitious for themselves and for the club. We just have to be realistic, that’s all.

“We are a solid club now. We are profitable, financially healthy.

“Why can’t anyone else do it? I think it’s just sticking to your core principles and not wavering from them and getting all the key decisions, such as the manager, right. Getting the right players to fit in with the team. Sheffield United, I think, have done very well over the last few years. Norwich, they haven’t spent a lot of money. Huddersfield did it as well. It is possible.”

Back at the Royal Dyche, Justine Lorriman, the owner responsible for the pub’s transformation from the Princess Royal, is preparing for her regular 2.55pm sprint to Turf Moor for the Everton game. Lorriman, a lifelong Clarets fan who traveled to all three away Europa League qualifiers in 2018, will be back behind the bar before 5pm but measures the impact of four years in the Premier League on a much wider scale.

“If Burnley are winning and doing well it has a big impact on the morale of the town,” she says. “Little Burnley are doing well in the Premier League and people recognize that now when you go away. I wore my Burnley shirt in the Philippines and several people recognized it. Beating big teams like Chelsea [who they host on Saturday evening] helps you get recognized abroad.

“We had a few Norwich fans in here recently who loved what we have done. They were saying that we are role models to them, that we are the club they are looking to be like and it’s really nice. We get the cliche of ‘you’re just a long-ball team’, or they don’t like Sean Dyche, but the point is we are still here four years later. We are definitely doing something right. We are an example for small-town clubs.”

(The Guardian)



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.