Norwich’s Max Aarons: ‘When I Came Here It Almost Felt Like Home’

 Max Aarons: ‘You need full-backs to deliver goals and assists and be defensively solid. The role now is tougher than ever but it has more rewards.’ Photograph: Graeme Robertson/The Observer
Max Aarons: ‘You need full-backs to deliver goals and assists and be defensively solid. The role now is tougher than ever but it has more rewards.’ Photograph: Graeme Robertson/The Observer
TT

Norwich’s Max Aarons: ‘When I Came Here It Almost Felt Like Home’

 Max Aarons: ‘You need full-backs to deliver goals and assists and be defensively solid. The role now is tougher than ever but it has more rewards.’ Photograph: Graeme Robertson/The Observer
Max Aarons: ‘You need full-backs to deliver goals and assists and be defensively solid. The role now is tougher than ever but it has more rewards.’ Photograph: Graeme Robertson/The Observer

Max Aarons has had an unusual route into football. It was not always certain that Norwich’s exciting right-back would make it as a professional. The 19-year-old started out at Luton but his decision to leave them at the age of 14 looked ill-advised when his time at Tottenham ended prematurely.

“I got offered a new deal at Luton but I wanted to come to a club with category-one status, which is where academy footballers get more training hours,” Aarons says. “I was on trial at Tottenham and it didn’t work out.”

Having rejected Luton’s contract offer, Aarons found himself without a club. But when he was wondering what to do next, an intriguing opportunity emerged. Saul Isaksson-Hurst, a coach who used to work at Chelsea, got in touch and asked if Aarons fancied doing some one-to-one training. They hit it off and Aarons took a year away from traditional football, combining his solo sessions with Isaksson-Hurst with his school work. “It was taking my game to another level,” he says. “I felt sharper than doing any group training.”

Aarons does not know anyone who has done something similar. His Norwich teammate Jamal Lewis spent a year exploring a career in athletics, but that was different. Aarons had taken a big risk. There was a danger he would find himself locked out.

“That nearly happened,” he says. “I was going to a few different clubs trialling here and there. There was nothing concrete. It was difficult being so young and going into places where you don’t know anyone.”

Not playing games made it harder. Aarons remembers being exhausted when he first stepped back on to the pitch, but his sharpness soon returned. “Before the last time I came into Norwich, I was just training with MK Dons,” he says. “I was there for about six weeks, just training. I had about six games there, which put me in really good stead.”

His father had contacted Gregg Broughton, who left Luton for Norwich’s academy in 2014. “I was on trial for three or four weeks before signing as a scholar,” Aarons says.

“When I came here it almost felt like home because I knew a lot of the staff here and a lot of the players I played with at Luton who had come here with Gregg.”

Aarons looks around and marvels at Norwich’s new academy complex, which was unveiled during the summer. When he first arrived there were portable buildings everywhere. There was certainly no 3G pitch. Progress has been rapid and Aarons is not the only graduate who has broken into the first team. Todd Cantwell, Ben Godfrey and Lewis are regulars in the first team.

Norwich, who host Manchester United on Sunday afternoon, have not let go of the expansive style that enabled them to win the Championship last season. They did not lose faith with playing out from the back when they lost at Liverpool on the opening weekend. Yet they have not won since beating Manchester City at Carrow Road last month. Their defending was appalling in the recent 5-1 home defeat by Aston Villa and they are in the bottom three.

Nonetheless, Aarons believes Daniel Farke is right to trust in his philosophy. “There were times last year where it wasn’t going well, but we stuck to it and came up as champions,” he says. “We’re all learning but our main focus was not to sway from what got us here. That will be good in the long run.”

Aarons has made rapid progress since his debut in August 2018, earning a spot in the Championship team of the season. He is an England Under-21 international and was linked with United in the summer. Spurs are also likely to need a new right-back soon.

There is no shortage of talented young English full-backs. It might not be long before Aarons, who admires Kyle Walker’s game, is competing with Trent Alexander-Arnold and Aaron Wan-Bissaka for a place in the England side. He loves to attack and it is no surprise to hear he started out as a winger. “You need full-backs to deliver goals and assists and be defensively solid,” he says. “The role now is tougher than ever but it has more rewards.”

Talk of England leads us to the abhorrent scenes in Bulgaria this month. Aarons was on under-21s duty and watched the game with Leicester’s James Justin. He was shocked and angered when he witnessed the racist abuse from the Bulgarian crowd. “It shouldn’t be happening in this day and age,” he says. “It’s disgusting. I couldn’t believe what was going on.”

Aarons has a multicultural background. His father’s parents came to Britain from Jamaica and he has relatives there. He is in touch with his roots and has not forgotten his early struggles. He speaks to Isaksson-Hurst on a regular basis and is determined not to let success change him. “Sometimes you do sit back and think: ‘Wow,’” he says. “It’s been a great 18 months but I need to carry it on. I want to stay level-headed.”

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.