Syria: Constitutional Committee Reaches Breakthrough Despite 'Disagreements'

United Nations Special Envoy for Syria, Geir O. Pedersen, meets Opposition Co-Chair, Hadi al-Bhara, prior to the meeting of the Syrian Constitutional Committee starting on 30 October 2019 (UN Photo)
United Nations Special Envoy for Syria, Geir O. Pedersen, meets Opposition Co-Chair, Hadi al-Bhara, prior to the meeting of the Syrian Constitutional Committee starting on 30 October 2019 (UN Photo)
TT

Syria: Constitutional Committee Reaches Breakthrough Despite 'Disagreements'

United Nations Special Envoy for Syria, Geir O. Pedersen, meets Opposition Co-Chair, Hadi al-Bhara, prior to the meeting of the Syrian Constitutional Committee starting on 30 October 2019 (UN Photo)
United Nations Special Envoy for Syria, Geir O. Pedersen, meets Opposition Co-Chair, Hadi al-Bhara, prior to the meeting of the Syrian Constitutional Committee starting on 30 October 2019 (UN Photo)

The Syrian Constitutional Committee agreed on a “code of conduct” draft and the formation of the mini-committee to discuss constitutional reform, despite the “deep differences and lack of trust” between its members.

Delegates of the Syrian regime, opposition, and civil society did not directly refer to the Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

The government delegation, which asked to be called a “government-backed delegation”, focused on Syria's sovereignty and support for state and military institutions. It also demanded Western countries lift their sanctions.

The opposition speakers pointed to the importance of constitutional reform, change, and discussing constitutional principles and decentralization.

Representatives of the three parties arrived in Geneva early last week, where preliminary meetings of the UN team with the heads of government delegations Ahmed al-Kuzbari and High Negotiations Committee, Hadi al-Bahra.

Meetings on Wednesday inaugurated with an open session that included United Nations Special Envoy for Syria Geir Pedersen, Kuzbari, and Bahra, in what was described as a “historic moment”.

On Thursday, Pedersen said after eight and a half years of conflict, there are deep differences, a lot of suspicions, and a lack of trust, but the fact that 150 Syrians have been “sitting together, respecting each other, talking to each other, discussing – according to the agenda that we agreed upon – the future of Syria, I think was quite impressive.”

Following the historic moment on Wednesday, the 150 members of the Committee participated in its first working session Thursday, under the co-chairmanship of two co-chairs from the Government and the Opposition, and with the facilitation of the United Nations.

Pedersen worked hard to make a first breakthrough which resulted in the adoption of the “Code of Conduct” for the Committee and rules of procedures for its co-chairs.

The “Code of Conduct”, which Asharq Al-Awsat received a copy of, includes the members’ commitment to the references and bylaws and must work within the committee in a spirit of respect, cooperation, and good faith.

They must also refrain from any action that may harm other members, or any unethical behavior or breach of public morals.

The participants must refrain from distributing any documents or publications in the conference room as official papers, and must not use their accounts on social media as a means of communication with the Committee.

The second breakthrough was the formation of a 45-member “mini-committee”, which as of Monday, will begin discussing the constitution. The mini-committee included 15 members of each delegation and will formulate proposals which will be approved by the expanded body.

The United Nations did not specify a time frame for the work of the Committee, which will be governed by consensus to achieve the general agreement of its members.

The Committee will conduct its work and adopt its decisions by consensus wherever possible, or else a 75 percent vote.

President Assad told state television on Thursday that the elections will be fully under the supervision of the Syrian state. He added that the government “is not part” of the ongoing Geneva negotiations and that the Damascus delegation “represents the government's view.”



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.