Iraq: Committee to Investigate Tear Gas Used in Protests

Demonstrators gather at a protest during a curfew, three days after the nationwide anti-government protests turned violent, in Baghdad, Iraq (File Photo: Reuters)
Demonstrators gather at a protest during a curfew, three days after the nationwide anti-government protests turned violent, in Baghdad, Iraq (File Photo: Reuters)
TT

Iraq: Committee to Investigate Tear Gas Used in Protests

Demonstrators gather at a protest during a curfew, three days after the nationwide anti-government protests turned violent, in Baghdad, Iraq (File Photo: Reuters)
Demonstrators gather at a protest during a curfew, three days after the nationwide anti-government protests turned violent, in Baghdad, Iraq (File Photo: Reuters)

Iraqi Interior Ministry announced the formation of a governmental committee to find out the types of tear gas used against protesters, dozens of which had been arrested since Saturday.

The Interior Ministry announced it had established an investigative committee chaired by Minister of Health Jaafar Allawi to find out the types of tear gas used in the demonstrations.

“The situation in Baghdad is normal, and in the coming days, closed bridges within the capital will be opened,” announced Interior Ministry Spokesman Khalid al-Mahna.

Mahna indicated that almost all demonstrators agree to peaceful protests, and the number of victims announced by media is exaggerated. He pointed out that the Health Ministry is the only body that announces the real figures of the victims.

Commander of Baghdad Operations, Major General Qais al-Mohammadawi announced that security forces arrested 31 people, indicating that they collected weapons from the vicinity of the demonstrations. He also indicated that the security element that fired guns in the air in al-Rashid Street had been arrested.

Mohammadawi reiterated that the security forces will not attack Tahrir Square, nor will they disperse anyone by force, noting that the concrete barriers were put to protect the demonstrators.

He said that the forces stopped using tear gas 9 days ago and that they only use smoke bombs. He called for differentiating between protesting and blocking bridges, which doesn’t do the country any good.

The Maj-Gen explained that since Sunday, authorities have arrested 31 persons, 20 of which will be released soon, adding that some people used Molotov cocktails against the security services. He asserted there are no foreign nationalities among the demonstrators or detainees.

Meanwhile, the Iraqi High Commission for Human Rights (IHCHR) announced on Monday that 134 protesters and members of security forces were killed and injured in the province of Dhi Qar.

The Commission issued a statement indicating that its teams monitored the “unfortunate events” that took place in the province near the Directorate of Education and the Teachers' Union between the demonstrators and riot police. It added that 4 people were killed and 130 other of the security forces and protesters were injured.

The Commission documented the arbitrary arrest of 34 demonstrators, adding that a number of the protesters tried to close state departments.

IHCHR condemned all forms of violence and the misuse of tear gas, Molotov cocktails, stones and sharp objects by security forces and several demonstrators, which caused casualties among both sides. It called on the demonstrators to cooperate with security forces to restore life to public facilities, schools, universities, and all departments to promote human rights.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.