Libyan Activists Refuse to Hand Over Saif al-Islam Gaddafi to ICC

Saif al-Islam Gaddafi attends a hearing behind bars in a courtroom in Zintan (File photo: Reuters)
Saif al-Islam Gaddafi attends a hearing behind bars in a courtroom in Zintan (File photo: Reuters)
TT

Libyan Activists Refuse to Hand Over Saif al-Islam Gaddafi to ICC

Saif al-Islam Gaddafi attends a hearing behind bars in a courtroom in Zintan (File photo: Reuters)
Saif al-Islam Gaddafi attends a hearing behind bars in a courtroom in Zintan (File photo: Reuters)

Libyan parties have rejected the trial of Saif al-Islam, son of late Muammar al-Gaddafi, at the International Criminal Court (ICC) after Libya’s representative at the court, Ahmed al-Jehani, agreed to bring him to The Hague.

Saif al-Islam is wanted on charges relating to the attempt to suppress the revolution that ousted his father in 2011.

Jehani announced before the tribunal, the approval of Tripoli’s government the request to hand over Gaddafi's son to ICC for trial on “war crimes.”

Political leader of the Libyan National Struggle Front (LNSF) Ahmed Gaddaf al-Dam indicated that the go-ahead of Libya’s representative is not any different than the demands of some Libyans asking NATO to attack their country. He said this constitutes a “betrayal” that the country still suffers from.

Gaddaf al-Dam, who is Saif al-Islam’s cousin, added that this has divided Libyans into two camps - the first representing Gaddafi’s defense team. The second constituted of Justice Minister Mohamed Lamloum of the Government of National Accord and al- Jehani, who insisted on handing over a Libyan citizen to the ICC.

Lamloum responded to Gaddafi’s defense team by saying even if some of the crimes attributed to Saif al-Islam were covered by the amnesty law, the conditions for granting him an amnesty were not present.

He added that the law stipulates a written pledge to apologize, reconciliation with the victim, and pardon from relatives of the victims, which Saif al-Islam did not get.

Parties loyal to Gaddafi rejected the representative’s approval describing it as a “humiliation to the Libyan people.”

Libyan lawyer Khalid al-Ghuwail told Asharq Al-Awsat that the case is not legal because the prosecution decision was made following a memorandum issued by the Security Council, and therefore this case is political and doesn’t have a legal basis.

Ghuwail said the case was based on false accusations, given that Saif al-Islam did not hold any position under the previous regime and was a civil society activist.

In July 2015, a Tripoli court sentenced Saif al-Islam to death for his role in suppressing the Libyan uprising that toppled his father's regime. He is facing the same charges by the ICC.

In 2017, an armed battalion in the western city of Zintan released Saif al-Islam, who has not been seen in a public since then. ICC General Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda predicted in a recent report that he would be in Zintan.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.