From Bellingham to Watkins: 10 Young Championship Stars Shining This Season

 From left: Nathan Ferguson of West Bromwich Albion, Birmingham City’s Jude Bellingham and Conor Gallagher of Charlton. Photograph: Getty Images and Shutterstock
From left: Nathan Ferguson of West Bromwich Albion, Birmingham City’s Jude Bellingham and Conor Gallagher of Charlton. Photograph: Getty Images and Shutterstock
TT

From Bellingham to Watkins: 10 Young Championship Stars Shining This Season

 From left: Nathan Ferguson of West Bromwich Albion, Birmingham City’s Jude Bellingham and Conor Gallagher of Charlton. Photograph: Getty Images and Shutterstock
From left: Nathan Ferguson of West Bromwich Albion, Birmingham City’s Jude Bellingham and Conor Gallagher of Charlton. Photograph: Getty Images and Shutterstock

Jude Bellingham, 16, Birmingham City

Bellingham was born in June 2003, when a ponytailed David Beckham joined Real Madrid and Gareth Southgate was in the England defence, but the teenage midfielder has displayed a maturity that belies his years. In August Bellingham, who has shone in the crux of the Birmingham midfield alongside the former Arsenal prospect Daniel Crowley, became the club’s youngest goalscorer at 16 days and 63 days, eclipsing Trevor Francis’s record. The son of Mark, a prolific striker at non-league level, Bellingham is the latest Birmingham academy graduate to make a splash in the first team, as Demarai Gray and Nathan Redmond did previously.

Jarrod Bowen, 22, Hull City

A quick glance at the numbers and it is easy to forget that Bowen operates not as a striker but a winger. His return of 45 goals in 105 league appearances is staggering, including nine this campaign. Bowen held talks with Wolves and West Brom after leaving Hereford United but it is at Hull – whom he joined five years ago after impressing the then academy manager and now first-team coach, Tony Pennock – where he continues to flourish. “Jarrod is a down-to-earth kid who just comes with a smile on his face,” said Hull’s manager, Grant McCann. “He just gets on with it.”

Josh Brownhill, 23, Bristol City

The youngest captain in the league, Brownhill is not short on experience with more than 230 appearances under his belt and the former Manchester United schoolboy has matured into one of the division’s best box-to-box midfielders. Brownhill, the heartbeat of a vibrant Bristol City, has scored three goals this season, including a screamer against Cardiff on Sunday and he continues to blossom under Lee Johnson. “He is a very good student and has been since I first took him on loan to Barnsley [in 2016],” said Johnson, who re-signed Brownhill later that year. “I could see that there was a superstar in the making. He probably goes down as one of the value signings in Bristol City’s history.”

Eberechi Eze, 21, Queens Park Rangers

The playmaker continues to flourish in QPR’s illustrious No 10 shirt and the sense is that Eze’s career is going only in one direction. “The first half of last season he was unplayable and then teams did their homework on him,” said Ángel Rangel, the QPR defender. “I think Ebs has improved his game this season – he doesn’t lose as many balls, he holds the ball well and his work rate is a lot better. He is a game-changer.” Eze’s match-winning performance at Hull stands out and he has scored six league goals, eclipsing last season’s tally with half a season to play. Eze received a call-up to the England Under-21 squad in September but remains eligible for Nigeria.

Eberechi Eze (left), in action against Derby, has been called up by England’s Under-21s. Photograph: Greig Cowie/BPI/Shutterstock
Nathan Ferguson, 19, West Bromwich Albion

Another marauding full-back for those at St George’s Park to get excited about. The flair of Grady Diangana and Matheus Pereira may have stolen the headlines for West Brom but Ferguson, who joined Albion aged eight, has equally been a breath of fresh air since a man-of-the-match display on debut against Nottingham Forest in August. Ferguson is comfortable on either flank, as well as in the centre of defence, where he has played for the England age groups, including the Under-20s. “Nathan reminds me of Declan Rice,” said West Brom’s manager, Slaven Bilic. “He is only 18 on paper. But in his mind, I don’t know, he is 25 or 27. It is our job to keep him humble.”

Conor Gallagher, 19, Charlton Athletic

That Gallagher won Chelsea’s award for academy player of the year last season – an accolade given to Reece James, Mason Mount and Fikayo Tomori in each of the previous three years – speaks volumes for how highly the teenager is regarded. Gallagher, who was born a few miles from Chelsea’s training base, joined his boyhood club aged eight and his eldest brothers, twins Jake and Dan –who spent time on the books of Fulham and AFC Wimbledon respectively – play for Dorking. The midfielder, a presence in both boxes, is relishing his first taste of first-team football. “His willingness and work rate are unreal, so he’s fitted in really well,” said Charlton’s manager, Lee Bowyer.

Karlan Grant, 22, Huddersfield Town

“He’s the closest thing I’ve seen to Callum Wilson,” the former Bournemouth captain Tommy Elphick recently said. Grant, a £2m signing in January, is the latest Charlton academy graduate to flourish away from south-east London, following in the footsteps of his former youth teammates Joe Gomez, Ademola Lookman, Ezri Konsa and Joe Aribo. Grant was a shining light in a dismal Premier League season and the Greenwich-born striker has been prolific this campaign, scoring nine goals in 16 games. “It has been a bit of a journey since making my [Charlton] debut at 17 but Lee Bowyer was massive for me at Charlton and Harry Kewell was massive on loan at Crawley,” Grant said.

Kalvin Phillips, 23, Leeds United

Marcelo Bielsa must be running out of superlatives for the midfield anchorman, an imperious performer affectionately known as “The Yorkshire Pirlo” by supporters. Phillips, who grew up in Armley, in the shadow of Elland Road, is Leeds’s Swiss Army knife, seemingly a master of all trades, be it clawing back possession, breathless running or his exhaustive palette of passing. The 22-year-old Brighton loanee Ben White has equally been outstanding for Leeds, with the ice-cool defender excelling after shimmering his way up the pyramid on loan at Newport and then Peterborough. But when it comes to Phillips, the same Bielsa soundbite sticks in the memory. “When he plays well, the level of the team increases clearly,” the Argentinian said.

Joe Rodon, 22, Swansea City

Little more than a year on from returning from a relegation scrap in League Two with Cheltenham Town, Rodon is a cornerstone of a slick Swansea side making impressive strides under Steve Cooper. Rodon, who grew up a few miles outside the city in Llangyfelach and joined Swansea as an under-nine, has been an immense presence in the heart of the defence since being handed his debut by Graham Potter last season and his form led to Ryan Giggs calling him up to the Wales squad in September. Rodon’s current absence owing to an ankle injury has allowed the Watford loanee Ben Wilmot to impress but his return will be a welcome boost for club and country.

Ollie Watkins, 23, Brentford

Only Aleksandar Mitrovic has more Championship goals this season and Watkins has relished the responsibility of filling the void left by Neal Maupay’s £20m move to Brighton. Watkins has already equalled last season’s goal return and, in combination with the tricky Saïd Benrahma and the record signing, Bryan Mbeumo, purchased from Troyes in the summer, the former Exeter youngster has wreaked havoc. “I think the way he converted himself into a No 9 from a No 10 is impressive,” said the Brentford head coach, Thomas Frank.

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.