No Meeting Between Morocco’s King, Pompeo over ‘Pressure Agenda’

Morocco’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita meets with US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo on Thursday, December 5. Ministry of Foreign Affairs/Facebook
Morocco’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita meets with US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo on Thursday, December 5. Ministry of Foreign Affairs/Facebook
TT

No Meeting Between Morocco’s King, Pompeo over ‘Pressure Agenda’

Morocco’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita meets with US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo on Thursday, December 5. Ministry of Foreign Affairs/Facebook
Morocco’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita meets with US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo on Thursday, December 5. Ministry of Foreign Affairs/Facebook

An expected meeting between Moroccan King Mohammed VI and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has been canceled, Asharq Al-Awsat learned on Thursday.

Western diplomatic sources told the newspaper that the Moroccan King decided not to receive the visiting US official after learning that Pompeo came to Rabat with a “pressure agenda” aimed to normalize relations between Morocco and Israel.

The Moroccan Foreign Minister did not issue any clarification about the King’s decision.

Asharq Al-Awsat learned that Pompeo wants Rabat to establish relations with Israel at the same level of ties set up in 1994 when Morocco and Israel announced the opening of bilateral liaison offices.

But Rabat believes that the situation in 2019 is completely different.

Morocco had been carefully monitoring Pompeo’s meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Portugal.

Washington considers Rabat its partner in achieving US objectives in the region, including the normalization of ties with Israel.

“Morocco plays a great role across the region as an important partner in promoting tolerance [and] has these quiet ties and relationship with Israel as well,” a senior department official told reporters last week.

Pompeo had planned to stay in Morocco from December 4-6 to meet King Mohammed VI. Instead, the secretary cut his visit short.

On Thursday, the US official met in Rabat with Moroccan Prime Minister Saadeddine Othmani, as well as his Moroccan counterpart Nasser Bourita, in his first official visit to the country since the election of US President Donald Trump in 2016.

Pompeo also sat down with General Director of Morocco’s National Security (DGSN) Abdellatif Hammouchi. They agreed that both countries share regular security cooperation to face several challenging crises in the region, including the scourge of terrorism.

Following his meeting with Pompeo, Bourita said: “The visit of the Secretary of State comes as a renewal of the strength of the strategic relations between Morocco and the United States.”

The Moroccan FM stressed that the US desire to strengthen its ties with Morocco “constitutes a recognition of the stability, credibility and reforms characteristic of Morocco.”

Bourita and Pompeo also discussed US-Morocco trade cooperation. They agreed that Rabat and Washington have been able to achieve “close economic cooperation.”

Bourita said that the volume of trade exchanges exceeded the threshold of MAD51 billion dirhams, representing an increase of 28 percent compared to 2017.

The Moroccan FM also drew attention to the significant number of US tourists who visited Morocco in 2019.

“More than 300,000 American tourists visited Morocco this year, an increase of 20 percent compared to 2017,” he said.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.