US Official Denies Pompeo Discussed Jordan Valley Annexation with Israeli PM

The national flags of Jordan and Israel are seen from the Israeli side of the border area between Israel and Jordan, Oct. 29, 2019. (Reuters)
The national flags of Jordan and Israel are seen from the Israeli side of the border area between Israel and Jordan, Oct. 29, 2019. (Reuters)
TT

US Official Denies Pompeo Discussed Jordan Valley Annexation with Israeli PM

The national flags of Jordan and Israel are seen from the Israeli side of the border area between Israel and Jordan, Oct. 29, 2019. (Reuters)
The national flags of Jordan and Israel are seen from the Israeli side of the border area between Israel and Jordan, Oct. 29, 2019. (Reuters)

The plan to annex Jordan Valley to Israel was not discussed between Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo during their meeting in Lisbon earlier this week, asserted the US State Department’s top Middle East official David Schenker.

He added that the US government position has long been that the ultimate disposition of territory is to be determined between the parties through negotiations.

Schenker's remarks contradict a statement made earlier by Netanyahu claiming he discussed the matter with Pompeo.

After meeting Pompeo on Thursday, Netanyahu said Israel had “the full right” to take this step, but stressed that such a move was impossible during a transitional period in which there is no Israeli government.

The PM described his meeting with Pompeo as “of great importance” to Israel's security, adding that he hopes they would move forward with plans for a joint defense treaty.

Prior to the meeting, he announced he would focus in his discussions on the Iranian issue, the formation of a defense alliance and a future US recognition of Israeli sovereignty over the Jordan Valley.

Netanyahu insists on annexing the Valley, claiming it is a border area and holds security significance for Israel.

During his negotiations with the Blue and White party to form a joint government, Netanyahu asked that he start the first period as prime minister in order to annex the Jordan Valley, but the negotiations failed.

Currently, there is no permanent government after the coalition voted on dissolving the Knesset and called for early elections following two electoral rounds that already failed to produce a cabinet.

The Jordan Valley and the northern Dead Sea span some 160,000 hectares, comprising almost 30 percent of the West Bank. In 2016, approximately 65,000 Palestinians and 11,000 settlers lived there.

Israel exploits almost all of the Jordan Valley and the northern Dead Sea for its own needs and bars Palestinians from entering or using about 85 percent of the area.

The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories (B’Tselem) said that Palestinians are not allowed to use the land for housing, agricultural construction, public buildings, or infrastructure.

“The legal grounds cited for this sweeping ban vary. So much so that, in some cases, the same land has been given several different designations,” B’Tselem said in a report.

Almost 50 percent of the area is defined as “state land”, more than half of which was already designated as such under Jordanian rule, before Israel occupied the area in 1967.

In addition, about 46 percent of the area have been declared closed military zones, including the municipal jurisdictions of Israeli settlements and 11 firing zones.

The report also noted that some 20 percent of the area have been declared nature reserves and other areas have been allocated to settlements’ regional councils.

It explained that the ban on Palestinian construction and development in the Jordan Valley takes a particularly harsh toll on the roughly 10,000 residents of more than 50 Palestinian communities in Area C.

The authorities deny these communities any possibility whatsoever of lawful construction to meet the needs of their population, and refuse to connect them to water and power supplies.

In recent years, and especially since early 2013, the Israeli military has periodically ordered the temporary evacuation of the communities located in areas it declared firing zones, claiming the military needs to train in these particular areas.

Residents have been served military orders requiring them to vacate their homes for various periods of time, ranging from several hours to two whole days, warning that refusal to comply will result in forced removal, expropriation of their livestock, and retroactive fines covering the costs of the removal.

B’Tselem stated that Israel is trying to prevent any Palestinian development or presence in the region.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.