Joaquín's Feat Is a Hat-Trick for the Ages, 19 Years in the Making

 Joaquín celebrates after scoring his hat-trick at the age of 38 years and 140 days old. Photograph: Quality Sport Images/Getty Images
Joaquín celebrates after scoring his hat-trick at the age of 38 years and 140 days old. Photograph: Quality Sport Images/Getty Images
TT

Joaquín's Feat Is a Hat-Trick for the Ages, 19 Years in the Making

 Joaquín celebrates after scoring his hat-trick at the age of 38 years and 140 days old. Photograph: Quality Sport Images/Getty Images
Joaquín celebrates after scoring his hat-trick at the age of 38 years and 140 days old. Photograph: Quality Sport Images/Getty Images

They were all there except him, everyone waiting for the old man again. It was six minutes to two, time to go, and in the tunnel at the Benito Villamarín 21 players lined up ready to go out alongside the referee, Valentín Pizarro Gómez, and one of his assistants. Just up the stairs, the other linesman stood by the dressing-room door, flag in one hand, getting a little impatient. “We’re only missing Joaquín,” he called down, “… yeah I know.” Alongside him the Betis manager, Joan Francesc Ferrer ‘Rubi’, wore a look that said what do you want me to do? so the linesman took a step inside. “Come on Joaquín!” he shouted. “Let’s go mate. We’re waiting for you here.” Rubi looked at his watch, then stuck his head round the door, nervous now.

The next time he looked it said one minute past two, 01.28 on the screens around the stadium, and the place was going wild. Joaquín had finally left the dressing room, high-fived his manager and, with linesman in tow shouting “come on let’s go”, led them into the sunshine. He had shaken hands with all of Athletic’s players, Betis’s anthem booming round as he went along the line, and posed for a team picture with dozens of kids, many in wheelchairs. He had chosen ends, Iñaki Williams calling wrong, stood head bowed in silence in honor of former player Francisco Aparicio, and belted the ball into the net. He had been out only seven minutes, touched the ball only twice, and hadn’t even been playing 90 seconds, but he had already scored.

Nine minutes and three seconds later, he had scored again. And nine minutes and 19 seconds after that, he had scored another.

It had taken 19 minutes. Nineteen minutes and 19 years, which made it all the more special.

Five times Joaquín had touched the ball, three times he had guided it into the net, all of them perfect finishes. He had thumped at his chest when he got the first, hand pounding at the badge of the club where he began his career, owns 2% of the shares, and wants to be the president one day; now he thumped it harder, heart racing, standing before the crowd, arms wide. “The euphoria,” he said later, “I didn’t even believe it.” Nor did anyone else. Athletic had the league’s best defense, conceding just nine times; now, in less than 20 minutes they had let in a third again, the scoreboard showing 19.50 and 3-0.

And that was just the start, each stat sillier than the last, leaving you to choose which you liked best. “My daughters didn’t stop crying: they’re not used to seeing their dad score goals. They said: ‘Hey Dad, how cool that you scored three goals; I didn’t think you’d ever do that,’” Joaquín admitted later. “And I said: ‘Nor did I.’” He arrived on 100 goals, averaging just over one every eight games across his career and he had never scored a hat-trick, not even at youth level. The Benito Villamarín had not seen any of their players score a hat-trick since Finidi George, 22 years earlier. And only six players had scored a hat-trick inside 20 minutes for anyone, anywhere. But now he’d gone and blown away all those records in the blink of an eye.

Yet if it was fast, it was also slow: it had taken Joaquín until he was 38 years and 140 days old to get a hat-trick, long after most have retired. On Sunday he was the oldest man on the pitch – and that includes the referee – and became the oldest player to score three in a La Liga match, overtaking Alfredo Di Stéfano at 37 years 255 days in 1964. This is his 20th senior season; he has scored in all of them.

The day Joaquín made his first-team debut, at the start of 2000-01, the Betis captain Juan Merino hid his boots. “One day you’ll have to clean them,” Joaquín told him. Today, Merino would have to join a queue. Joaquín won the Copa del Rey, one of only three trophies in the club’s history, posing with the trophy wearing nothing at all and then placing it at the altar when he got married a few days later. Back then, most expected him to be a superstar somewhere. When it was suggested that his dad was off negotiating a move away Joaquín replied: “Nah, he’s on the sofa at home with his arse hanging out the back of his trousers as usual.” Mourinho’s Chelsea came. And he was the galáctico that never was, Florentino Pérez making a show of publicly courting him. But in the end he joined Valencia after six seasons at home – not least because Betis needed him to.

He went to Málaga and Fiorentina, then he came back again. He was 34; he’d be lucky to have a season ahead of him, most thought. That was four and a half years ago now, and there will be more. Betis are expected to announce a new contract soon, taking him beyond his 40th birthday, Joaquín joking on Sunday night that he could turn the screw a little bit now. Not that it is just the hat-trick; it is the three games in a row he has scored, the role played both on and off the pitch in pulling Betis away from the relegation zone and their manager away from the sack, the way he is playing. It is 12 years since Joaquín was in the Spain squad – the country’s best player at the 2002 World Cup, the kid who least deserved to miss in that shootout against South Korea – but it might not be so daft to suggest he would fit in again now. In the past couple of years, he has actually got better.

When Lionel Messi said the words that couldn’t be unsaid last week, depressing everyone when he admitted, at 32, that retirement is close, Joaquín noted: “Well, he hasn’t got my physique, has he?” He was joking but there was something in it, something that expressed hope for everyone, maybe even Messi. His dad reckons he is so strong because he was breastfed until he was seven. And yet it’s psychological too, enthusiasm renewed over the past couple of years. Derby wins followed with Setien, a new style that suited him: after one, in which he scored the winner, he said could leave football “a happy man”, but staying made him even happier man, and that’s the key.

The day after Messi scored his 35th league hat-trick – more than anyone else ever – Joaquin scored his first – later than anyone else ever. This was something to celebrate, for all of us. Joaquín put out a video saying he was exhausted and staying at home, only to crack up and giggle: “No one believes that for a minute,” announcing: “I’m off out for a wee drink.” Meanwhile, his feat was splashed across every front page. “Superhero”, “Joaquín performs magic”, “Monumental”, ran the three headlines in Diario de Sevilla alone.

What he had done was a reminder of the power of enjoyment, further evidence that a grin isn’t a handicap and a joke isn’t a crime, still unprofessionalism; that scowling seriousness is not the only route to success, and happiness helps. Everyone’s favorite cheeky scamp, more famous for his gags than his goals, Joaquín isn’t just a comedian, he is also a competitor; he’s not still playing because he’s funny, but he may well still be playing because it’s fun, another way of clinging to your childhood. “I have kids of 19 and one of 38 in my team,” Rubi said. Emerson, who provided the assist for the first, was one the day Joaquín made his first-team debut. Diego Laínez, playing alongside him, was two months old. Loren Moron made the third. His dad played against Joaquín, now he plays with him, just like Sergio Canales. “Granddad,” Canales wrote on the ball, “it’s an honor to play with you.”

“If I had known how much hassle there would be, I wouldn’t have done it,” Joaquín joked on Sunday night. He might even have scored more, the clock showing 90.57 when he raced into the area and drew a sharp save from Unai Simón. “I was as stiff as dried cod: if I’d stopped to control it, I’d have fallen over,” he said. Besides, three was just enough. Athletic pulled two back but Betis had won again – that’s three in a row now, a single defeat in six, Europe in sight instead of relegation – and standing pitchside at the end the ball under his arm, Joaquín was beaming, barely able to believe it. “This was my first hat-trick and I think it’ll be my last,” he said. Back in the dressing room, everyone was waiting for him again. When at last he arrived, they got to their feet and gave him a standing ovation.

(The Guardian)



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.