Hamas Leader Arrives in Oman amid Abbas Visit

Oman's newly sworn-in Sultan Haitham bin Tariq al-Said receives condolences from Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in Muscat, Oman January 12, 2020. Oman News Agency/Handout via REUTERS
Oman's newly sworn-in Sultan Haitham bin Tariq al-Said receives condolences from Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in Muscat, Oman January 12, 2020. Oman News Agency/Handout via REUTERS
TT

Hamas Leader Arrives in Oman amid Abbas Visit

Oman's newly sworn-in Sultan Haitham bin Tariq al-Said receives condolences from Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in Muscat, Oman January 12, 2020. Oman News Agency/Handout via REUTERS
Oman's newly sworn-in Sultan Haitham bin Tariq al-Said receives condolences from Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in Muscat, Oman January 12, 2020. Oman News Agency/Handout via REUTERS

The head of Hamas movement’s politburo, Ismail Haniyeh, arrived in the Omani capital to offer his condolences to the new Sultan, Haitham bin Tariq, on the death of Sultan Qaboos.

Haniyeh’s office issued on Sunday a brief statement announcing his arrival in Muscat at the head of a delegation from the movement.

Haniyeh praised the life of Sultan Qaboos, his wise political leadership in the Arab and Islamic worlds and globally, and his role in defending the Palestinian cause. He also recalled the late Sultan’s support to the Palestinian people and their struggle to gain their rights, liberate their land, and achieve independence.

Oman is the fourth country that allowed Haniyeh to visit after Turkey, Qatar, and Iran. He temporarily resides in Qatar and arranges his visits to other countries from there.

The Sultanate of Oman is one of the few Gulf countries that maintained good relations with Hamas and the rest of the Palestinian factions, before the relationship became strained due to Hamas’ criticism of the Sultanate’s attempt to reassure Israel.

Last year, Hamas condemned Omani Foreign Minister Yusfu bin Alawi’s statements at the World Economic Forum that was held in Jordan’s Dead Sea region, during which he called on Arab countries to reassure Israel that it is not under threat in the Middle East

Despite the tensions that also affected the relationship with the Palestinian Authority, the late Sultan managed to keep Oman neutral in most Arab disputes, even in the relationship between the Palestinians and Israel.

Top Hamas official Ahmed Bahar also offered his condolences during a telephone conversation with the Chairman of Oman’s Shura Council, Sheikh Khalid al-Mawali.

Bahar’s office issued a statement indicating that he wished all the success to the new Sultan.

The statement recalled the historical positions of Sultan Qaboos towards the Palestinian cause, praising his role in serving Arab and Islamic issues. It stated that Mawali thanked Bahar, confirming the Sultanate’s stances in support of the Palestinian people and cause.

During Haniyeh’s visit to Oman, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas also arrived to offer his condolences to Sultan Haitham.

Abbas stressed that the Arab and Islamic worlds have lost an eminent leader who devoted his life to serving his country and people with wisdom and grace, praising what Oman has achieved during the rule of the late sultan and affirming the deep brotherly relations between the two countries and peoples.

Abbas expressed his profound sympathy and heartfelt condolences over the death of the late Sultan.

Sultan Haitham thanked Abbas and the accompanying delegation for their sincere condolences.

Palestine declared a three-day official mourning.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also offered his condolences to Oman on the death of Sultan Qaboos.

“He was an incredible leader who worked tirelessly to promote peace and stability in our region. Under his leadership Oman became a central and advanced nation,” he said.

Netanyahu offered his condolences to the people of Oman, adding that he “shares in their deep sorrow for the passing of Sultan Qaboos bin Said.”

“About a year ago he invited my wife and myself to an enormously important and stirring visit,” during which he offered his help to push for peace in the region.

Netanyahu congratulated Sultan Haitham and welcomed his statements that Oman’s “foreign policy and work for regional peace will be upheld.”



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.